Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone found a remedy to this problem? I’d rather avoid a trip to the dealer.

I plug in the charger, it blinks green and red, and on the cockpit display it reads “Only emergency charging is currently available. Please see owner’s manual.” (The manual says “the charging connector is not fully locked”.)

After plugging it in, you can hear several clicking sounds coming from the port as it tries to initiate charging. Then it faults. It draws 1kW, no more. I’ve experienced this on my brand new ChargePoint Home Flex as well as a public Level 2 charging station. I haven’t tried a DC fast charger. I also don’t know how to do a “hard reset”. Holding down the on/off button for a long time doesn’t do anything.

·
134 Posts
Just out of curiosity have you tried the supplied charging cable? Also I wonder if you’re able to remove the connector from the vehicle while charging? Possibly if it can’t fully lock the default is a very low charge rate in case the plug is removed?

·
98 Posts
I agree with PoRscheTek. I am going to make an educated guess that the car is sensing a high impedance connection in the charging system. Did you get a positive click when you plugged the cable into the charge port?

·
ID.4 1st Edition
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just tried the supplied cable. It also gave me a fault.

Yes, I can pull it out during a charging session so it’s not locking properly. I think the clicking sounds are a failed attempt to get a good grasp on the plug.

·
134 Posts
Since I haven’t had my hands on an ID 4 I don’t know specifics but the Taycan is a pin that drops down to not allow the release tab to lift up. If it’s possible just make sure it’s not stuck. Also the Taycan has a emergency release that once pulled needs to be manually reset from inside. It sets faults and will not allow the charge socket to function. (They have 2) Visually inspect the best you can and just see if anything looks out of place. Other than that I think it’s a trip to the dealer.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
107 Posts
You might need to revisit your dealer or maybe a different dealer with a better service department. Between this and the blank screen issue you keep seeing, it sounds like there is a gremlin somewhere.

·
ID.4 1st Edition
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I was hoping I wouldn’t have to rip open that emergency access panel. It’s sort of sown shut, and you can tear it a bit to get access to the emergency cables you described. But maybe I need to wiggle something in there.

·
ID.4 1st Edition
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might need to revisit your dealer or maybe a different dealer with a better service department. Between this and the blank screen issue you keep seeing, it sounds like there is a gremlin somewhere.
Haha! Yep, I have a gremlin. Thankfully I’m a patient, optimistic guy.

·
Dusk Blue FE
93 Posts
My ID4 has been at the dealer's since last Tuesday. Pretty much the same problem. Here was the sequence of events: I had charged the car from a level 2 Grizzl-E charger when I first brought it home -- no problem at all. Last Monday night, I again plugged the car in. After about a half hour, the Grizzl-E threw a fault and stopped charging. I rebooted the Grizzl-E by switching the breaker off and on; the fault light went out. I probably should have removed the charger from the socket before rebooting the charger, but I didn't. When I tried to remove it, it was locked. The manual was unhelpful but something I did eventually unlocked it. I decided not to leave the charger on overnight but, by the next morning, the Grizzl_E again showed a fault light, even thought there was no load and it was not plugged into the car. I called Grizzl-E; they are sending me a replacement. Meanwhile, I tried to charge the car with the supplied 110V EVSE. It worked for a few minutes, then dropped the charging voltage and started alternately flashing the red and green charger status light. The "Emergency Charging Only" message appeared in the cockpit. I called VW Customer Care; they made an appointment for me at a dealer and I took the car in. That was last Tuesday. It is now Saturday night and, although the dealer and VW Customer Care have called me almost daily, I do not know that they have made any progress.

·
ID.4 1st Edition
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just dropped off the car at the dealer for service. Here’s a video showing what causes the fault: the pin doesn’t fully extend to lock the plug in place.

·
ID.4 1st Edition
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Should be an easy fix.
I would think so. It’s kind of hard to tell if it’s a mechanical issue or a software issue.

·
79 Posts
Had the same error on Saturday. When I plugged in again yesterday it didn't have the problem.

·
ID.4 1st Edition
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had the same error on Saturday. When I plugged in again yesterday it didn't have the problem.
That’s fortunate. It’s been persistent and replicable on multiple EVSEs.

·
79 Posts
In about 2 weeks I have a follow-up with the service department at the dealership. I'll mention the problem to them, especially if I keep seeing it.

·
ID.4 1st Edition
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: the service department assessed it and found a solution after only 3 hours. I need to replace the actuator (whatever that is). The only problem is that the part is in Germany. I’ll find out tomorrow how long it will take to get here.

·
104 Posts
Were you still able to charge the car, even when you got the "Emergency Charging Only" error message?

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
Update: the service department assessed it and found a solution after only 3 hours. I need to replace the actuator (whatever that is). The only problem is that the part is in Germany. I’ll find out tomorrow how long it will take to get here.
So thats a part of the socket on your car? Not something specific to to EVSE(s)? I wonder, did it break, fall out of alignment, or tolerance? Hmmm?

·
Proud FE owner
993 Posts
I wonder if the actuator was DOA and was missed as part of the pre-delivery inspection (error overlooked or dismissed when they charged it). I've heard the PDI list is very long and seems (like my nav issue), things are easy to miss as they build the routine.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts