Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Super Moderator
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I emailed Hannah at VW Customer Care with some charging questions. This was her response:

These are great questions! So we only recommend following the 80% charging rule with the DC Fast Charging stations, it doesn't apply to the level 1 or 2 chargers. If you have to charge the vehicle past 80% at a DC Fast Charger, it is okay to go up to 90%, but we really don't recommend continuously charging past 90%-100% as this can cause serious battery degradation over time.

I have been charging almost exclusively at EA, and I have only charged to 80%. It is good to know I can come home and charge to 100% on my JuiceBox if I need to.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,554 Posts
Going with 100% home L2 as of this insight. Thanks!

Although it is interesting that the in-vehicle screen recommends 80% without differentiation. I guess VW figured lowest common denominator, just in case.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
Yeah, good information and I also plan to keep it at 80% unless I have good reason not to. I would say, if you're going to charge at home past 80%, use L1 rather than L2. All other things being equal, slower is better for batteries.

·
1 Posts
first poster here, got my id.4 1st max last week!
Is there any way to get any detailed info in the car during charging?
What I would like to know, is how many kW that currently goes into the battery. From the app I just get " xx km/h".

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
929 Posts
first poster here, got my id.4 1st max last week!
Is there any way to get any detailed info in the car during charging?
What I would like to know, is how many kW that currently goes into the battery. From the app I just get " xx km/h".
A phone app like EVnotify will show you this additional information. You would also need to buy a OBDII dongle - they are fairly inexpensive, but there are lots of dongles out there that are counterfeit knockoffs that don't work. This is the one I have:

·
166 Posts
Question from someone strongly considering an ID4 -- can a home charger be set to go only to 80% and then hold there without unplugging the charger? I'd like to leave the car plugged in overnight so it can precondition heating/cooling before departing in the morning, but without continuing to charge to 100%. If available, will any charger do this or is this feature limited to only certain L2 home chargers?

·
690 Posts
Question from someone strongly considering an ID4 -- can a home charger be set to go only to 80% and then hold there without unplugging the charger? I'd like to leave the car plugged in overnight so it can precondition heating/cooling before departing in the morning, but without continuing to charge to 100%. If available, will any charger do this or is this feature limited to only certain L2 home chargers?
You can program the car to do this, you don't need a 'smart' charger.

·
ID.4 Pro S RWD
177 Posts
You can program the car to do this, you don't need a 'smart' charger.
In fact, it has to be the car that does it. Unlike DC fast chargers, Level 2 EVSEs have no way to know the vehicle's state of charge.

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
131 Posts
Having had our ID.4 for a month now, here is our current charging situation:
1) ID.4 FE, ChargePoint Flex 50amp circuit.
2) Car charging is based upon either "Now" or "just before you leave schedule" - mine is calculated back from 7:00am - this has not ever charged to the full 80% and rarely charges at more than 5 amps.
3) ChargePoint app charging - plug in outside of schedule times - it waits for beginning of schedule before starting and will charge to full 80% using 10-15 amps dependent upon what car charge was before starting.
4) ChargePoint app charging - plug in during schedule times - it will charge "Now" to 80% using 10-15 amps dependent upon what car charge was before starting.

Right now we are using the ChargePoint schedule as it gives us 80% every time and does it as quickly as the car is able to accept the charge.

My future goal (which isn't obtainable using the current level of software in the ID.4 and the ChargePoint) is to be able to reliably charge to 80% (or whatever max I set) at the highest rate the ID will accept just before we are scheduled to leave for the day. This will accomplish a fast charge to a fixed % close to leaving so that the battery is at the optimum operating temperature.

The list of quirks that prevents my goal from being reached currently:
1) Car will disconnect from the ChargePoint > 50% of the time if it is locked/unlocked (or sometimes if the FOB just comes near the vehicle) after the charging cable is inserted so we get no charge that night (This appears to be a communication issue between the ID and ChargePoint where they become confused about their mutual intended states)
2) Car doesn't allow lowest utility rate beginning/end schedule to be entered to only charge at lowest $$ cost (ID.4 location would need to accept beginning schedule time as well as end)
3) We are unclear if the "never to 80%" issue is because of ChargePoint or the ID
4) ChargePoint doesn't allow time-to-leave schedule so battery is not usually at proper operating temperature when we want to leave (using more battery to get it to the proper temperature)

Anyone have any success getting further/more reliable than this yet?

Reactions: heavyt

·
ID.4 FE GW
497 Posts
2) Car charging is based upon either "Now" or "just before you leave schedule" - mine is calculated back from 7:00am - this has not ever charged to the full 80% and rarely charges at more than 5 amps.
3) ChargePoint app charging - plug in outside of schedule times - it waits for beginning of schedule before starting and will charge to full 80% using 10-15 amps dependent upon what car charge was before starting.
4) ChargePoint app charging - plug in during schedule times - it will charge "Now" to 80% using 10-15 amps dependent upon what car charge was before starting.

Right now we are using the ChargePoint schedule as it gives us 80% every time and does it as quickly as the car is able to accept the charge.

My future goal (which isn't obtainable using the current level of software in the ID.4 and the ChargePoint) is to be able to reliably charge to 80% (or whatever max I set) at the highest rate the ID will accept just before we are scheduled to leave for the day. This will accomplish a fast charge to a fixed % close to leaving so that the battery is at the optimum operating temperature.

1) Car will disconnect from the ChargePoint > 50% of the time if it is locked/unlocked (or sometimes if the FOB just comes near the vehicle) after the charging cable is inserted so we get no charge that night (This appears to be a communication issue between the ID and ChargePoint where they become confused about their mutual intended states)
2) Car doesn't allow lowest utility rate beginning/end schedule to be entered to only charge at lowest $$ cost (ID.4 location would need to accept beginning schedule time as well as end)
3) We are unclear if the "never to 80%" issue is because of ChargePoint or the ID
4) ChargePoint doesn't allow time-to-leave schedule so battery is not usually at proper operating temperature when we want to leave (using more battery to get it to the proper temperature)

I have similar woes using a dumb EVSE and setting a charging location + departure time in the ID.4. The car will not draw the full power of the EVSE during scheduled charging (departure time set), and it frequently quits charging before the departure time and well below the specified ending state of charge. It never gets to the specified SOC even in the rare cases when the charging is not interrupted because the car does not draw the full power of the EVSE.

This EVSE has worked fine hundreds of times with a couple other cars.

I took my car in for service and the techs "reconfigured" the charging software. It still has the above problems, but it can charge immediately at a set location if you select "Charge now" from the car's Goodbye / exit screen.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
415 Posts
Seems like the most appropriate thread to post this in: had my first DCFC session at an EA station today, went very well! Got 96 kW immediately when I plugged in at 20%. It was a cold rainy late night, so I expect the battery was a bit too cold, and maybe not low enough, to get a full 125 kW. Made sure to check in on Plugshare and post a picture and description of my session, as well as reviewing on Google maps
20210427_225731.jpg
Screenshot_20210427-235327_Electrify America.jpg

·
42 Posts
Having the same problem. Have a chargpoint unit (8 years With no problem).
I will wait a few months before I take it for service, VW doesn't have a clue what to do at this moment in time.

·
42 Posts

Having the same problem. Have a chargpoint unit (8 years With no problem).
I will wait a few months before I take it for service, VW doesn't have a clue what to do at this moment in time.

·
52 Posts
Yeah, good information and I also plan to keep it at 80% unless I have good reason not to. I would say, if you're going to charge at home past 80%, use L1 rather than L2. All other things being equal, slower is better for batteries.
How many miles per hour of charge do you get at L1?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts