Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Which EV Apps are you using to pay for charging your EV (when not at Electrify America)?

• ChargePoint

• EVgo

• Greenlots

• Plugshare

• SemaConnect

• Volta

• Other

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
PRO-S Gradient in Dusk Blue Metallic with Black interior/Tan inserts
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm downloading separately APPs to FIND chargers, and APPs to USE chargers. This Poll focuses on APPs to USE public chargers.

·
FE Blue - picked up March 19
37 Posts
No Greenlots, Volta chargers in my area. Most of the L2 public chargers I find are Chargepoints, at work SemaConnect manages the chargers. So far I find that the chargepoints and EA are the easiest to use since I can just use Apple Pay to start them up.

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bott: Yeah... seem these things can be regional. I've not used a non-EA site yet, so I can't answer. I'm just confused by the number of apps I've downloaded. When on the road, my comfort zone is defined by DCFC unless I'm going to stop overnight where a Level2 can do fine.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
935 Posts
bott: Yeah... seem these things can be regional.
When I had the Kona, I used ChargePoint quite a bit (free 50kW charger). If that was busy, there was a 80kW EVgo. EA was simply too expensive back then - the Kona was in the middle price tier, and charging by the minute in the winter just made it impossible.

There isn't much Greenlots around here - a L2 charger here and there, but the DCFC are kind of far.

·
FE Blue - picked up March 19
37 Posts
When I had the Kona..
I have a lot of respect for early adopters non-Tesla EVs, it's still a lot of planning for charging outside the DCFC areas, just a year or two ago had to be a lot of work. I visited my son working on his sailboat on the coast near Oriental, NC a weekend ago. There are two L2 chargers in town, and four Tesla destinations 30 miles away in New Bern (a two pump 62.5kW DCFC is coming to New Bern this year).

The ChargePoint L2s in Oriental were put there by that town (very nice for a very small town), when I was there one wasn't putting out any electricity. The other worked, but was blocked all evening, night and the next morning by another ID.4 owner! I needed 60kW to get to the DCFC on the way home, plus some electrons to drive locally. Fortunately the B&B I was staying at let me trickle charge on a 120V outlet until the ID.4 decided to leave the working ChargePoint.

It's still wild out there for EV owners, but I am fully charged today while people in NC are searching for gas stations that still have fuel, because of the pipeline shutdown!

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good news is that I hear GM realizes that charging is chaotic currently for non-Teslas. Too many networks, inadequate charging speeds, and just a confusing mess off-putting to would-be drivers. Greenlots is a Shell+LocalUtility operation. Chargepoint is a public company. So I think big money will flood into this space over the 3-years of my lease. So will the cars. With the network starting thin, the question is whether charging locations can keep up with production and sales of EV's.

·
407 Posts
Where I live there is only the EA station at Walmart. There is a Tesla destination station about 20 mile away. Today was the first time I have seen any other EVs charging at that EA station. Both from out of state. A Jag and a Mach-E. EA Charge Station 5-12-21.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts