Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a quick video, worth a watch.

Specific to the 82 kWh battery, new 3.0 (red) is a fairly impressive improvement to the tapered curve under the stock software (blue).

Product Rectangle Slope Font Plot

This is showing miles of range gained (km) per time charging. That's approximately a 25 mile gain there (40km) around the 30 minute mark.

Rectangle Slope Font Plot Sleeve

·
669 Posts
It's a quick video, worth a watch.

Specific to the 82 kWh battery, new 3.0 (red) is a fairly impressive improvement to the tapered curve under the stock software (blue).

View attachment 11684

This is showing miles of range gained (km) per time charging. That's approximately a 25 mile gain there (40km) around the 30 minute mark.

View attachment 11685
I think I remember it is about 6-7 minutes faster from 5-80%

·
238 Posts
Now if we could get VW or EA to perform pre-conditioning.
Isn't that expected, but with most of their market headed for summer, it makes little sense to do it now, assuming they have more pressing matters to take care of (such as updates 2.4, 3.0 and 3.1).

No idea, but I'd they'd release it in July, no one cares, but if they're able to send it out in November, you'd see YouTube full of videos on how awesome it is compared to last winter.

·
1,005 Posts
It seems to me a simple option on the vehicle charging or data screen to add a selection for fast/medium/slow pre-charging. Display a little battery icon so you know pre-charging is active.
Of course it should be built in to BMS. It's such an obvious improvement. What am I missing?

Hello ID, start fast/medium/slow battery pre-conditioning.

Just noticed- my 1k post 🎉.

·
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just noticed- my 1k post 🎉.
Congrats! 🥳
...It's such an obvious improvement. What am I missing?
"Scheduled Charging"

The only thing apparent is nothing is easy with this car -- or, at least, not with 2.x software, and especially nothing BMS-related.

I hope to hope that as we slowly slide over to 3.0 this is no longer the case, and VW can "easily" add features such as this.

·
238 Posts
If the pre-heating is smart, it will optimize the heating based on the distance to the charger, expected speed (which warms it up anyway) and ambient temperature.

Even if it's the same distance, if you're going there 30mph vs. 60mph is going to be different, let alone if it's just below freezing compared to the coldest day of the winter.

Just randomly warming it would lead to a mix of just right, not warm enough and power wasted on having the battery warm 10 miles too early.

So it will require some management to be effective and to not waste energy.

·
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Especially after last winter, I'd prioritize this up there with Plug-n-Charge.
At this stage in the delay there's a good chance we'll see PnC in 3.1! I'm with you, pre-con ought to be a priority, but at this point I'll happily accept any signs of progress out of this software morass.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,718 Posts
9 minutes faster (29 vs. 38)

Dave
At this stage in the delay there's a good chance we'll see PnC in 3.1! I'm with you, pre-con ought to be a priority, but at this point I'll happily accept any signs of progress out of this software morass.
3.1 is already shipping in the ID.5. So we would need 3.2 for PnC (and hopefully battery preconditioning).

·
ID4 AWD Pro
708 Posts
He mentioned about "new battery", so is the old battery won't get this speed after the software update?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts