Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Dusk Blue FE
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to be publishing this so late in the tax season but I have learned (the hard way) that H&R Block's Tax Cut software does not support IRS Form 8911. This is the form used to claim a tax credit for the purchase AND installation cost of an EVSE (colloquially, an EV charger). A thread on a Tesla owners' forum showed that H&R Block did not support Form 8911 in 2019, either, so I doubt that they will have changed their mind by the time 2021 taxes are filed. I tried to explain to them the fundamental illogic of their position (their software includes the tax form to claim a credit for purchase of an EV, but not the form you need to get credit for the purchase of equipment to charge your EV) but to no avail.

Let the buyer beware.

Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
That's just stupid! Reminds me of when I walked away from the market leader's online tex software when it got my installment sale wrong and I almost missed out on $1600 more refund.

What a pain! I used TurboTax Deluxe for 2020, and it supports form 8911. But I had to wait an extra week to file because form 8911 wasn't ready - apparently not finalized in their software. But it's all good now. I remember a few years ago when Intuit quietly dropped support in TT Deluxe for sole proprietorships and small businesses, and, after lots of complaints by customers like myself, they gave us a code to enter and enable the missing forms. I begrudgingly continue to use TT.

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
I've used TurboTax since it was MacInTax and they typically get it right ... if albeit eventually.

I encountered same delay but likewise all good now.

What a pain! I used TurboTax Deluxe for 2020, and it supports form 8911. But I had to wait an extra week to file because form 8911 wasn't ready - apparently not finalized in their software. But it's all good now. I remember a few years ago when Intuit quietly dropped support in TT Deluxe for sole proprietorships and small businesses, and, after lots of complaints by customers like myself, they gave us a code to enter and enable the missing forms. I begrudgingly continue to use TT.

Extended deadline or not, there is no excuse to leave out support for a legitimate tax credit that regular people might very well use. It's not like that credit was added a month ago...
Vote with your feet.

I use FreeTax USA. It doesn't charge me for any extra forms I need. Not that I had that many, lol.

Reactions: WandsMagic

I use FreeTax USA. It doesn't charge me for any extra forms I need. Not that I had that many, lol.
I switched to them too this year after TaxAct started charging me through the nose for what used to be included and reasonably priced. What a breath of fresh air it was!

Sorry to be publishing this so late in the tax season but I have learned (the hard way) that H&R Block's Tax Cut software does not support IRS Form 8911. This is the form used to claim a tax credit for the purchase AND installation cost of an EVSE (colloquially, an EV charger). A thread on a Tesla owners' forum showed that H&R Block did not support Form 8911 in 2019, either, so I doubt that they will have changed their mind by the time 2021 taxes are filed. I tried to explain to them the fundamental illogic of their position (their software includes the tax form to claim a credit for purchase of an EV, but not the form you need to get credit for the purchase of equipment to charge your EV) but to no avail.

Let the buyer beware.

Download a hard copy of form 8911 from the IRS web site. Determine your 30% credit. In the H&R Block software open form No. 3800. Enter your 30% credit on line 1s. of part III. I found it necessary to also enter the value in line 1. of Part I. Your credit should now show up under "Other Business Credits".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts