Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hearing an irregular, intermittent clicking or tapping sound (a little like static) emanating from the area of the central display/console. Sound is clearest when music is off. It is quite annoying. Is anyone else experiencing this?

·
30 Posts
No but i had a irritating rattle I thought was coming from the dash that turned out to be my garage door remote. Didn’t notice it in my previous car, but the ID4 is so much quieter I heard it when driving.

·
96 Posts
I am hearing an irregular, intermittent clicking or tapping sound (a little like static) emanating from the area of the central display/console. Sound is clearest when music is off. It is quite annoying. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Yes, when I took delivery I had a very loud clicking sound, I believe coming from the speakers or infotainment screen, that was in sync with the turn signals. When I got home I turned the car off and back on and the very loud click sound was gone. Never heard it again. A week later the infotainment screen started to freeze and is now deemed defective by the dealer and is supposed to be replaced.
My suggestion is to report it ASAP to get a record started under warrant. Hopefully there’s a quick solution.

·
2 Posts
Yes, just took delivery today and hearing fairly regular clicking/popping sound from central display/console. Planning to submit to VW service to investigate.

·
125 Posts
Yes, just took delivery today and hearing fairly regular clicking/popping sound from central display/console. Planning to submit to VW service to investigate.
It's /claps/ Hanz and Franz of Saturday Night Live working their magic in your ID 4. ;)

·
2 Posts
Update: VW service found that it was coming from the center speaker in the dash. They confirmed that the speaker was fine, and the wiring from speaker to Car-Net module was fine, so they concluded the Car-Net module must be faulty. They removed the Car-Net module and ordered a replacement (no ETA yet). They returned the vehicle to me without Car-Net and with the center speaker disconnected until the new module arrives. All repairs are under warranty. Overall, I'm fine with not having Car-Net for a while and quite happy with having the car back.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: VW service found that it was coming from the center speaker in the dash. They confirmed that the speaker was fine, and the wiring from speaker to Car-Net module was fine, so they concluded the Car-Net module must be faulty. They removed the Car-Net module and ordered a replacement (no ETA yet). They returned the vehicle to me without Car-Net and with the center speaker disconnected until the new module arrives. All repairs are under warranty. Overall, I'm fine with not having Car-Net for a while and quite happy with having the car back.
Thank you very much. I took the car back and informed the service department that the front loudspeaker was likely the cause. It was replaced (so I was told) but the ticking noise remains. Will take it back. Thanks again everyone.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, when I took delivery I had a very loud clicking sound, I believe coming from the speakers or infotainment screen, that was in sync with the turn signals. When I got home I turned the car off and back on and the very loud click sound was gone. Never heard it again. A week later the infotainment screen started to freeze and is now deemed defective by the dealer and is supposed to be replaced.
My suggestion is to report it ASAP to get a record started under warrant. Hopefully there’s a quick solution.
Thank you

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds similar to my problem. Taints an otherwise good experience. Quite irritating

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,931 Posts
It's good to have fellow member/'net insight but in the future you might be better served keeping it in your hip pocket for later in the service evolution.

It's generally better to "just the facts ma'am" state what you're observing/hearing and let the service folks troubleshoot. If you point them to a specific they will address same and potentially miss a larger contributing issue.

I do sympathize however with many who have gone for service only to be told and/or observe that the tech's have little experience with the ID.4, are floundering, and it is therefore even more tempting to point them to a specific and render advice on how to proceed.

Regardless the 'how to service' philosophy, I hope it all works out for the best.
Thank you very much. I took the car back and informed the service department that the front loudspeaker was likely the cause. It was replaced (so I was told) but the ticking noise remains. Will take it back. Thanks again everyone.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's good to have fellow member/'net insight but in the future you might be better served keeping it in your hip pocket for later in the service evolution.

It's generally better to "just the facts ma'am" state what you're observing/hearing and let the service folks troubleshoot. If you point them to a specific they will address same and potentially miss a larger contributing issue.

I do sympathize however with many who have gone for service only to be told and/or observe that the tech's have little experience with the ID.4, are floundering, and it is therefore even more tempting to point them to a specific and render advice on how to proceed.

Regardless the 'how to service' philosophy, I hope it all works out for the best.
Thanks for your advice. This was my second visit. What you suggest is what I did the first time but they said they found nothing wrong. I am hoping a third visit does the trick. I’ll see.

·
395 Posts
I have a rattle coming from the center grill on the top of the dash. Took me forever to finally determine where it was coming from. I take it in to VW in two weeks for the 5000 mile check, the rattle and the recall on the headlights.

·
7 Posts
Did they figure out the problem TNF? 🤷‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Any news? I have this on my car aswell?
This is an old thread and unfortunately, the OP did not see fit to post the resolution, if there was any. Please keep us posted on your issue.

Reactions: MadsK

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,931 Posts
It really is beneficial if folks with problems would close the loop and post their solution (if hopefully there is one).

We add the "Resolved" banner to same which helps in future member searches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts