Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
141 Posts
BZ4X is actually comes from the sound people make when they see the car or its spec sheet for the first time.

Still better than the Honda Clarity, named for the zen acceptance of one's own life choices after realizing another human designed that car.

·
Blue ProS RWD is in my garage! Only took 187 days.
664 Posts
Wow! I took a quick look at the charging rate for the buzzy-forks. Motortrend said that "it took 64 minutes to charge to 80 percent" - Ouch!

For years I have said "Wait until Toyota jumps into the EV market." As a follow up, I have to say "No, seriously, wait until Toyota gets serious about EVs!"

·
Premium Member
Pro S AWD | Moonstone | Lunar Grey
308 Posts
Im not impressed with Toyota and Honda so far. Seems like they have their collective heads in the sand hoping their hybrids will keep them going.

I totally understand that currently some will be better served by hybrids than BEV. This will not always be the case though and manufacturers snoozing now could very well find their dominant position in the market to be impacted. Just recently Akio Toyoda was telling the world “that the radical transition to electric vehicles for the company will cost millions of Japanese workers to lose their jobs in automotive.” Not a glowing endorsement of BEV and not surprising when one looks at the BZ4X…

·
348 Posts
Im not impressed with Toyota and Honda so far. Seems like they have their collective heads in the sand hoping their hybrids will keep them going.

I totally understand that currently some will be better served by hybrids than BEV. This will not always be the case though and manufacturers snoozing now could very well find their dominant position in the market to be impacted. Just recently Akio Toyoda was telling the world “that the radical transition to electric vehicles for the company will cost millions of Japanese workers to lose their jobs in automotive.” Not a glowing endorsement of BEV and not surprising when one looks at the BZ4X…
I think Toyota's strategy (and Honda's too) has been to use hybrids as a bridge to hydrogen fuel cell powered EVs. That may still win out in the end, but I think it's likely a couple of decades away. The hydrogen distribution is the tricky bit (just like the electricity distribution has been).

Dave

·
Blue ProS RWD is in my garage! Only took 187 days.
664 Posts
The thing is, we have seen fuel cell vehicles. They work, but they are just incredibly inconvenient, and not very efficient. Sure, they will get better, but for now, Hydrogen powered vehicles will remain a small subset. Meanwhile, 98% of all cars and trucks will be taken over by BEVs.

·
28 Posts
The slow charging on the AWD is either going to kill this car and maybe other Toyota's EVs, or so many loyal Toyota fans will buy it, not understand this has horrible charging speeds, and state all EVs are horrible.

·
77 Posts
The slow charging on the AWD is either going to kill this car and maybe other Toyota's EVs, or so many loyal Toyota fans will buy it, not understand this has horrible charging speeds, and state all EVs are horrible.
The annoying thing about the Toyo-baru is that, in Europe and Japan, the AWD gets the same 150kw-capable Panasonic batteries as the FWD Toyota. In the US and Canada, the AWDs all get the old-school CATLs.
Subaru is practically the state-car of Maine. Buyers who don't do their due diligence, and stop at a Level 3 en route to Grandma's house for Christmas, are gonna be wicked pissed.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,452 Posts
Buyers who don't do their due diligence, and stop at a Level 3 en route to Grandma's house for Christmas, are gonna be wicked pissed.
...as are the ID.4 drivers who get stuck waiting for the Toyotas to finish.

·
32 Posts

·
994 Posts
The protecting the battery argument doesn’t hold water with me … even a 50kW DC fast charge is much more stressful for the battery than the highest amperage L2 charger. I think they just set their performance targets so long ago that they’re no longer current. This thing (low-to-mid 200 miles of range and 6.6kW L2 charger onboard, and slow fast charging) would have been amazing in 2017, competing with Chevy Bolts and Hyundai Kona EVs.

For more on its slow charging, see: The 2023 Toyota bZ4X's Charging Speed Plummets When Temperature Drops

• Sad
Reactions: Eric Nay
1 - 20 of 24 Posts