Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moderators, please don’t jump down my throat. My question has surely been answered somewhere in the forum but I’ve been searching for a couple of hours and can’t find it.

Simple question: are my ID4 Pro’s headlights supposed to move horizontally with my steering wheel? They don’t and I have been unable to find a setting to turn that feature on.

If anyone has a suggestion of a specific term I could have searched for to find this nugget of information, I’d appreciate the coaching.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
687 Posts
You have a base Pro and do not have the headlight that can move its "eye", right? If so, then there is no cornering light on your car. For a visual of what that eye looks like, see the header image on this forum. It's the white blob inside the headlight, which can move up and down and also sideways. Yours look much more like a conventional headlight when you check closely. I think the delineation is Pro S and up, and FE.

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have a base Pro and do not have the headlight that can move its "eye", right? If so, then there is no cornering light on your car. For a visual of what that eye looks like, see the header image on this forum. It's the white blob inside the headlight, which can move up and down and also sideways. Yours look much more like a conventional headlight when you check closely. I think the delineation is Pro S and up, and FE.
Thanks Christoph. I always look forward to your posts.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
687 Posts
This discussion has a couple of videos. Now that I made the claim in public, I am not 100% sure anymore whether the "eyeballs" turn side to side, or whether it's just the LED elements themselves. :)

·
78 Posts
It is better to have a fixed light that is activated when turning at low speeds a night than headlights the move the beam left to right. My previously owned 2008 BMW 535 and 2012 VW Touareg both had he latter. With both of those vehicles, over time, the beams would turn at different speeds when cornering at night. It can look really awful. I prefer the fixed beams and if there are additional cornering lamps?........ great. As usual, for me the base VW models are looking better.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
I too prefer headlight beams that don't move but are rather augmented upon turning by discrete corner-flood lights (have had this configuration). Main beams that suddenly turn while I'm in the initial process of making the turn just don't seem as visually safe to me. A subjective thing of course.
It is better to have a fixed light that is activated when turning at low speeds a night than headlights the move the beam left to right. My previously owned 2008 BMW 535 and 2012 VW Touareg both had he latter. With both of those vehicles, over time, the beams would turn at different speeds when cornering at night. It can look really awful. I prefer the fixed beams and if there are additional cornering lamps?........ great. As usual, for me the base VW models are looking better.

·
102 Posts
From 2014 and up this technology has improved a lot with gyros sensors and synchronization that is not the problem anymore....latest and greatest are laser beams headlights with matrix LED as cheaper option that has no moving parts but it will use windshield cameras and depending on options also infrared for lighting up individual led dots ( lighting is actually always high beams but software and sensors are telling to led how much to light up )
This are great things to have but remember that they are not cheap if you need to pay for.
Biggest problem in US is DOT regulation that makes this technology crippled because of how far it spouse to lights up with high beams on. Germany and many other EU countries are 800 meters for high beams.
And we have also mandatory requirements for self adjusting headlights up or down or manual thumb wheel to lower lights...what US doesn't have and cripples high beams to less than half.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts