Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
2,126 Posts
The problem is this: should the ID.4 be compared to the model Y, or to a RAV4? Should the standard be what other EVs are doing, or how this car replicates the ICE experience whose buyers VW is targeting?

I don't think their review is unfair, but nor does it paint a complete picture.

And you can see that in the overwhelmingly positive marks ID.4 owners give their cars when the topic comes up here and on Facebook. For all of its "faults" and shortcomings, it seems there are a great majority of satisfied owners.

·
238 Posts
A Tesla model 3 owner and their spouse both said to me they are moving to a VW ID.4 because their range was horrible. Definitely not what they were expecting when it was promised as a key feature.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,388 Posts
A Tesla model 3 owner and their spouse both said to me they are moving to a VW ID.4 because their range was horrible. Definitely not what they were expecting when it was promised as a key feature.
Hopefully after this winter. We really need preconditioning in advance of DCFC. Hoping that's a 3.0 feature.

·
18 Posts
We purchased an ID.4 in June, having devoured as much info as we could find. We fit the Rav4 mold, except it was a 2008 Forester, our 4th Subaru. The Suby had a CD player; that was pretty much it for technology. The cruise control was the "slam into the vehicle in front of you type"; I very seldom used it. We still have one Subaru (#5), a 2012 Legacy. A fillup is right around $48.00 at an honest 25mpg. We'll hang on to it until parts become readily available for the ID.4. We haven't spent a penny on juice for the ID.4 and this includes a trip from Orlando, Flah, to Atlanta and back. For us, the bells and whistles on the ID.4 are fascinating; many of you out there have had vehicles that have some of those features. The adaptive cruise control, lane assist and back up camera are a treat. And contrary to a lot of people, we really like the single buttons for the windows. (I'm still hitting the wrong buttons on the Legacy to this day.) On the ID Talk forum, many of the vines are from people with problems that are looking for answers. There's not a lot of "love" vines; those people are just driving and enjoying and understandably not taking the time to speak out. We are kind of like cavemen marveling at another tribe that has fire. So, that pretty much makes us the target that VW was aiming at, and they hit us. Love the car. Love the technology that we are using, knowing there's a pile of it still to be learned and experienced and we are completely satisfied. And, when the updates start happening, I'm guessing we will be even "satisfieder!" Thanks to all of you that share your thoughts and ideas; I've put a number of them to use.

·
211 Posts
It surprises me that these guys don't acknowledge how polarizing Tesla's are. I know a number of people that just hate Tesla's, because of their "change for the sake of change" approach that these guys are criticizing VW for in this conversation. Tesla's single off center control screen you have to look away from the road to see— the hidden door handles that unfamiliar people can't get to work— the interior door handles that trap unfamiliar people inside, etc. The whole time I was listening to this I kept getting the feeling they all own Tesla's. If all the controls in my ID.4 worked well, I wouldn't have any problem with those changes at all. The reviewers all seem to be willing to accept the radical changes Tesla introduced, but much less so in the VW. Consumer Reports always trumpets how unbiased their reviews are, but I've long felt the people doing the reviews are completely biased—even though they try to hide them.

·
2021 ID4 AWD Pro S Gradient
9 Posts
I didn't like the Model Y. It was nice to sit in and it drove fine, but I didn't think it was $15,000 better and neither did the wife (who's car it was going to be). I said which do you want? and she liked the VW. I didn't feel like they were the same aside from space. I think we liked it was the most like any other car save that it was EV.
-c

·
255 Posts
Like almost all legacy media outlets, CR has had to adapt to the current media landscape. So we get an opinionated video "review" from several guys who honestly I know nothing about. They're not like the old CR people wearing lab coats carrying clipboards and making notes on the test track. They're just giving opinions, like anyone else. They carry no special weight or credibility. Doesn't mean they're 100% wrong, means they're just three more talking heads who happen to talk cars.

I mean seriously, that's really not a proper review.

·
170 Posts
What? ALL regen comes from the rear axel on AWD, none from front? This seems contradictory to what Kyle said in his reviews.

·
271 Posts
Tesla's single off center control screen you have to look away from the road to see
When we test drove a Model Y, I couldn’t figure out how to adjust the side mirrors and was told you had to do it via the touch screen. Pretty much was a dealbreaker in itself. That and there was no way to turn off or adjust one pedal driving mode plus no Apple Carplay integration. Plus everything in the interior felt cheap (except the seats), esp for a $60,000+ car. Except for a couple of Subarus, I’ve pretty much always owned German cars. Call me old-fashioned, but I expect a physical object that costs so much to at least have some feel of quality to its physical attributes — like that satisfying understated ’thunk’ you hear when you shut the door on a VW or Audi that suggests that “this is a well made vehicle.”

·
36 Posts
Consumer Reports reviews ID4

That may be one of the worst car reviews I have ever seen. I've been a subscriber and supporter of Consumer Reports for 40 years, but their blind spots haven't changed a bit. They rip the gear shift, the window buttons, the defroster controls for being different and having to figure them out. An owner would have all of that down pat by day 2. He was tortured by the audio controls on the screen, but conveniently forgot to mention OR I could just use the + or - button on the steering wheel. No mention of BSW being right where you need it - as opposed to the Tesla forcing you to take your eyes off the road. As an ID4 awd drive owner, hard to believe they actually drove the car when it comes to handling, stability and braking. No mention of the 10-15k difference in price, or that Tesla's range is overstated. Love their Ioniq 5, but forget to mention that you can't even buy one in most states. I believe the term is Tesla fanboys. Shame on CR...

·
54 Posts
I poked at the review a little bit, but it's just a bunch of guys with cheap webcams trying to be news-show talking heads. It barely showed the car. I did not expect something so basic from a site that won't even let you see final ratings without paying. I also think they barely drove the car. If they had, why wouldn't they have someone driving, someone filming, and a good voiceover talking about their findings? CR has fallen quite far.

·
Waiting for a RWD Blue ProS w/ Light interior. Ordered Sept 4, 2021.
222 Posts
I have to wonder... There seems to be several separate groups coming to the ID.4.
1) ICE people who are new to EVs.
2) Previous EV drivers, such as myself, who are coming from Bolt EVs, Leafs, etc.
3) People who just hate Tesla for some reason.
4) VW or German brand fans.

I'm both 2 & 3, TBH. I get that the RWD model is not as peppy as the AWD model, or my old Bolt. That's ok. It is still an EV, with all the advantages (and disadvantages) thereupon. No catalytic converter, no alternator, no fuel injectors... I'm sold on the tech, but I also want a screen in front of me (M3 or MY, ahem).

I'm not going to let ANY review sway me from buying an EV. I MIGHT let it convince me to switch from one to another, if it was particularly convincing. Right now there are several interesting choices, but they are all months away, at (other than VW) rapidly changing prices. If I truly believed some of these, I think I would probably go ahead and take delivery of my ProS RWD when it arrives, and then consider an Ioniq or Nissan in a few years.

BTW I DO appreciate the "Here are the flaws I see in my car" posts the last few days. On the other hand, we each have different tolerances for geeky quirks in software. I think I will be happy with my ID.4 when I get hold of it, but I will not let any reviewer throw me off my pace for now.

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
502 Posts
It surprises me that these guys don't acknowledge how polarizing Tesla's are. I know a number of people that just hate Tesla's, because of their "change for the sake of change" approach that these guys are criticizing VW for in this conversation. Tesla's single off center control screen you have to look away from the road to see— the hidden door handles that unfamiliar people can't get to work— the interior door handles that trap unfamiliar people inside, etc. The whole time I was listening to this I kept getting the feeling they all own Tesla's. If all the controls in my ID.4 worked well, I wouldn't have any problem with those changes at all. The reviewers all seem to be willing to accept the radical changes Tesla introduced, but much less so in the VW. Consumer Reports always trumpets how unbiased their reviews are, but I've long felt the people doing the reviews are completely biased—even though they try to hide them.
Genuinely “unbiased” people say “I’m biased and here are my biases”, those who claim to be “completely unbiased” tend not to be as “unbiased” as they think they are.

·
49 Posts
I have to wonder... There seems to be several separate groups coming to the ID.4.
1) ICE people who are new to EVs.
2) Previous EV drivers, such as myself, who are coming from Bolt EVs, Leafs, etc.
3) People who just hate Tesla for some reason.
4) VW or German brand fans.

I'm both 2 & 3, TBH. I get that the RWD model is not as peppy as the AWD model, or my old Bolt. That's ok. It is still an EV, with all the advantages (and disadvantages) thereupon. No catalytic converter, no alternator, no fuel injectors... I'm sold on the tech, but I also want a screen in front of me (M3 or MY, ahem).

I'm not going to let ANY review sway me from buying an EV. I MIGHT let it convince me to switch from one to another, if it was particularly convincing. Right now there are several interesting choices, but they are all months away, at (other than VW) rapidly changing prices. If I truly believed some of these, I think I would probably go ahead and take delivery of my ProS RWD when it arrives, and then consider an Ioniq or Nissan in a few years.

BTW I DO appreciate the "Here are the flaws I see in my car" posts the last few days. On the other hand, we each have different tolerances for geeky quirks in software. I think I will be happy with my ID.4 when I get hold of it, but I will not let any reviewer throw me off my pace for now.
I don’t fit any of your 4 groups. I went from ICE -> Model 3 -> Model Y -> ID.4

·
ID.4 GTX & Golf 1 Cabriolet
503 Posts
They are coming out with a review now? This isn't exactly timely.

They cite the range of the Tesla as if that's what people get in real world driving.
Interestingly, in Denmark, Tesla has had to provide a more accurate range: this means Tesla is approximately $8000 more expensive with only 15.5 miles more of range.

Does the Tesla then have something else to offer that justifies the price difference - for me, it doesn't.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts