Volkswagen ID Forum banner
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
175 Posts
CR has about five staff members who do the podcasts, and they all participate directly in testing. Most have management responsibilities, and they’re all car enthusiasts. On camera, they seem to offer personal opinions more than hard-core reviews, like the way they trashed the Polestar 2 in a previous episode. Their complaints about the ID.4 are similar to other sites, but I‘m disappointed their discussion wasn’t more balanced. I often learn from CR, but my go-to reviewer is Alex on Autos.

·
240 Posts
I have been subscribing to CR for decades.

Many years ago ( 1975?) CR compared the VW Rabbit and the AMC Pacer. They said it was close on which was the better car but gave a slight edge to the VW because it got better gas mileage???
Over the years CR had become more sophisticated in their testing and became more appreciative of good handling and quality of interiors of cars.
Recently, however, their testing of products has become much more superficial and providing far less detail on their findings. They seem to focus more on health foods, retailers and services these days.
Overall, disappointing.

·
16 Posts
Concerning reviews, Alex on Autos (YouTube) is absolutely the best. While he has some reservations about the ID4 it certainly comes across as a good choice, know I’m completely satisfied despite the quirks and pitiful Car-Net.
IMO Alex on Autos gives a really balanced view of vehicles on his channel. Plus he has "at least" a grading he assigns for 0-60, handling, seat comfort etc. to each vehicle he tests. That is very helpful to compare vehicles.

If I remember, for ID.4 he said in the very beginning that VW never designed the vehicle to compete with Model Y. Their target audience is people who go for a CR-V or RAV4. I think he was spot on with that.

·
Waiting for euro spec Scale Silver ID.4 Pro Performance Business Max MY22
54 Posts
The old school car magazine comparison tests are still the source go to, not YouTube. All the pages and pages of measurement data that we (boldly assuming here) want to know is unpresentable in video. That said, I am eagerly waiting for our local car magazine to complete 100 000 km / 62000 miles test of ID.4 and see what they find out 😊.

·
ID.4 GTX & Golf 1 Cabriolet
557 Posts
The old school car magazine comparison tests are still the source go to, not YouTube. All the pages and pages of measurement data that we (boldly assuming here) want to know is unpresentable in video. That said, I am eagerly waiting for our local car magazine to complete 100 000 km / 62000 miles test of ID.4 and see what they find out 😊.
Please share here, when they do

·
24 Posts
Which? (The question mark is part of the brand name which is really annoying) is the British version of “Consumer Reports”. I’m a subscriber but have had a terrible experience buying products they recommend.

One example: the boiler (furnace) at one of my rental properties had suffered frequent problems. It was in there when we bought the property and reading online it was the model of boiler you’d chose if your only criteria was to buy the cheapest boiler possible. So the next time it broke, I instructed the plumber to fit a new one and asked for the one Which? recommended. He rolled his eyes, knew exactly why I was asking for that boiler and gave his personal review of that boiler. Let’s just say his review didn’t line up with Which?‽

Anyway trying to cut a long story short, 2years and 2months later (2 months after the warranty ended) the tenants complained the boiler wasn’t working and was tripping off the house electrics. I went with the plumber to see the problem for myself. The valve that switched between hot water and heating was leaking on to its own electrical connector. A truly horrible part design. The plumber pointed to a few other parts that were poorly designed (in his opinion/experience) and I was left feeling a little silky for trusting Which?.

We have been through several Dyson vacuum cleaners on Which?’s recommendation whereas the Shark model we have now that they didn’t recommend is clearly superior. I never did like the LG television recommended by Which? I should have bought the Samsung they didn’t recommend…
When I was in college (100 years ago) I used to rage at CRs reviews of cars as they fixated on the most ridiculous aspects of a vehicle.
I subscribe these days for info on various items but I validate my choices with a lot of other sources.
I note that a lot of their ratings are illogical. An auto may be downgraded because of recalls yet the recalls are of trivial nature. I also observe that unreliability encompasses people not happy with infotainment features.
What is the weakest part is the weight given to reports from the public as opposed to an actual survey of repair shops. Self reporting is invariably inaccurate as it is weighted heavily towards a five star or one star review. Only the delighted or enraged report on their feelings and then all out of proportion.

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
1,045 Posts
for some reason, the ID.4 has hit the 50-60-year old target group hard, whereas Tesla, with their better software and tech-focused driving experience, have captivated people in their 30s and 40s.
You are talking about me, it seems. :)
I am in the ID4 age bracket you quoted, and own one, my son is in the 30+ age bracket and bought a Model Y last year. Spot on...

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
1,045 Posts
Frankly, trade publication ID.4 reviews have been critical all-around (and YouTube reviews mixed) so either we're all desperate and will buy whatever is available, or the reviews are out of touch with what driver's real day-to-day needs are, or there are just a select group of us who don't fit the mold and are matching up nicely with the limited number of these vehicles available to buy.
This is the question I have asked myself lately. Are reviewers and raters so out of touch?
I now believe they are truly out of touch. Sales numbers, and also VW's spot on expectation and results of which type of buyer they target, speak volumes. Virtual ink spilled, not so much.

·
2021 ID4 AWD Pro S Gradient
10 Posts
I hate when cars get dinged for 0-60 times when compared against the entire spectrum of cars. Do I care if my minivan is slower than a Porsche so long as it falls in line with other minivans? I also hate when it gets compared to cars priced far outside the price range. A model Y and id4 aren't in the same price groups. Sure one can be had for the same amount but in differing trims. I priced a loaded model y and id4 - they were a good 15g's apart.
-c

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
533 Posts
Seems like a lot of reviewers also like to bash it for not having a frunk.. but we have more usable cabin and storage space due to having all of the electric and mechanical bits under the hood.
I don’t recall ever saying “I wish this car had a frunk” on any ICEV I’ve ever owned.

I remember one of Bjorn’s videos where he proves that VW provide more cabin space in exchange for frunk.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,918 Posts
That's because VW cited their competition from the very beginning (which never included the Model Y). It was even on their marketing posters at the dealership; I included a photo of same in a thread when there for my 60-day check-back in May '21. It's also one of the reasons there's a 'D' drive mode so that it somewhat feels the same as those compact CUV/SUV competitors.

But I agree, Alex on Autos is one of my go-to's as well. He owns a Mach-E and is also very honest with same.

IMO Alex on Autos gives a really balanced view of vehicles on his channel. Plus he has "at least" a grading he assigns for 0-60, handling, seat comfort etc. to each vehicle he tests. That is very helpful to compare vehicles.

If I remember, for ID.4 he said in the very beginning that VW never designed the vehicle to compete with Model Y. Their target audience is people who go for a CR-V or RAV4. I think he was spot on with that.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,918 Posts
Many automotive "journalists" these days seem lazy to me. They just copy/incorporate and print the same tripe they read elsewhere. Thankfully there are a few good 'tube reviewers who do their own evaluations.
This is the question I have asked myself lately. Are reviewers and raters so out of touch?
I now believe they are truly out of touch. Sales numbers, and also VW's spot on expectation and results of which type of buyer they target, speak volumes. Virtual ink spilled, not so much.

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
75 Posts
This is the single thing that drives me nuts about almost every EV review. The immediately bash the vehicle if it doesn't do 0-60 in 3 seconds. I've never seen a car review of a Buick Regal bash it for not doing a 3 second 0-60, yet every EV is expected to be geared like a muscle car.
Because it is the easiest thing for the “car experts” to point out and gain points. “Oh , it is much slower than Tesla model Y, this is not good”

Check my ID.4 accessories at YuriKAccessories | Etsy

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
75 Posts
I put a deposit on a model 3 when it was announced (5+ years ago). Made a bunch of over to improve my financial situation better before buying such an expensive car. Ultimately got really into the financial thing that we decided buying an expensive car was a bad idea. Financial situation continued to improve and still wanted an EV. Thought a Model Y would be the obvious EV for us now with 3 year old twins. Spending this much I decided to test drive an ID4. I left my test drive super surprised. Exceeded my expectations and best way I could describe it was comfortable. Not just the seat but everything just felt good. I test drove the Model Y the next days and it was the opposite. I was disappointed. I felt uncomfortable and anxious driving it. I test software for a living and couldn't figure out the UI. I'm sure with more time it I would figure it out. But I would rather just use Android auto. I don't use Spotify and I would rather use Google maps. It just didn't feel as well built as the ID4. Not to mention the significant price difference. We did another test drive of the ID4 a few months after ordering and confirmed this is definitely what we want. I'm a 35. I think most of my peers interested in EV wouldn't even test drive anything but a Tesla. They will love their Tesla because it is the best thing they have ever owned. For now Tesla is the EV standard. Ultimately I think almost and EV is going to be better than ICE options IMO. I wish reviews talked more about how they compare to similar ICE vehicles than only comparing EV to EV.
I felt the same way when test driving Tesla model Y. I also test software for a living.

·
29 Posts
We purchased an ID.4 in June, having devoured as much info as we could find. We fit the Rav4 mold, except it was a 2008 Forester, our 4th Subaru. The Suby had a CD player; that was pretty much it for technology. The cruise control was the "slam into the vehicle in front of you type"; I very seldom used it. We still have one Subaru (#5), a 2012 Legacy. A fillup is right around $48.00 at an honest 25mpg. We'll hang on to it until parts become readily available for the ID.4. We haven't spent a penny on juice for the ID.4 and this includes a trip from Orlando, Flah, to Atlanta and back. For us, the bells and whistles on the ID.4 are fascinating; many of you out there have had vehicles that have some of those features. The adaptive cruise control, lane assist and back up camera are a treat. And contrary to a lot of people, we really like the single buttons for the windows. (I'm still hitting the wrong buttons on the Legacy to this day.) On the ID Talk forum, many of the vines are from people with problems that are looking for answers. There's not a lot of "love" vines; those people are just driving and enjoying and understandably not taking the time to speak out. We are kind of like cavemen marveling at another tribe that has fire. So, that pretty much makes us the target that VW was aiming at, and they hit us. Love the car. Love the technology that we are using, knowing there's a pile of it still to be learned and experienced and we are completely satisfied. And, when the updates start happening, I'm guessing we will be even "satisfieder!" Thanks to all of you that share your thoughts and ideas; I've put a number of them to use.
I fully agree with you. I picked up my First Edition in March of 2021, the second one sold by the dealership. I still love driving it! Any new car takes some adjustment, as I learned when I go on trips and pick up a rental car. So for me and my wife, no regrets whatsoever! All the best, Klaus

·
29 Posts
Because it is the easiest thing for the “car experts” to point out and gain points. “Oh , it is much slower than Tesla model Y, this is not good”

Yes, we have to remember that 'car experts" are car enthusiasts, and love taken a car on a test track to go 150 mph. I have found that in actual everyday driving, the ID4 has plenty of pick-up. Easy to get on a highway when accelerating on a ramp, easy to pass the truck that is annoying me, etc. So no, I do not need to go 0 to 60 in three seconds...

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
271 Posts
.. and that is the downside of this all for me. I have realised that I have ordered a grandpa car and spending time on this forum makes it all too clear. I will not hit fifty for another year:).
I turned 52 a few months ago, so I guess I am in their target demographic. But I am rebelling, so I ordered a Rivian R1T last week, only a 2 year wait. :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,918 Posts
I will complete my 70th year about the time my ID.4 completes one, so i guess I am outside the demographic as well. But I am a grampah! 😆

Related: The Benz GLA was targeted at young 'new to the brand' drivers but has overwhelmingly become a retiree/pensioner vehicle. So even the professional marketeers are sometimes clueless as to how things will actually transpire. But as long as they're selling, I'm sure they don't really care. ;)

61 - 80 of 109 Posts