Volkswagen ID Forum banner
81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
51 Posts
It surprises me that these guys don't acknowledge how polarizing Tesla's are. I know a number of people that just hate Tesla's, because of their "change for the sake of change" approach that these guys are criticizing VW for in this conversation. Tesla's single off center control screen you have to look away from the road to see— the hidden door handles that unfamiliar people can't get to work— the interior door handles that trap unfamiliar people inside, etc. The whole time I was listening to this I kept getting the feeling they all own Tesla's. If all the controls in my ID.4 worked well, I wouldn't have any problem with those changes at all. The reviewers all seem to be willing to accept the radical changes Tesla introduced, but much less so in the VW. Consumer Reports always trumpets how unbiased their reviews are, but I've long felt the people doing the reviews are completely biased—even though they try to hide them.
I agree on the CR raters being biased. There is nothing good that VW or Jeep could (ever) do to give them glowing ratings from CR. Also, for years, they consistently placed the Toyota RAV4 in first place for midsize SUVs; now the Subaru Outback has suddenly taken over that reward.

·
3 Posts
We bought an all-wheel drive - our Vermont winters! - equipped it with Blizzack tires, and it goes everywhere for us. charge at home, although our power company's free charger, Chargepoint, isn't always at a Level 2 charge. We're thrilled with the car - sold both of the cars we were driving, got our ID4 in October, and love the day-to-day use and charging when we need to. Lots of new bells and whistles in a new car compared to our 2016 Honda and Prius. Plan to qualify for the $7,500 tax credit this 2022 tax season. My only wish - greater range, especially in winter.

·
261 Posts
No question, CR car ratings are biased. For decades they were so big on Toyota, especially Camry. They were also big on Honda along the way. More recently they have been big on Subaru, especially Forrester.
I bought a new '12 Honda CRV mostly based on their recommendation. It had a propensity to go out of control in accident avoidance maneuvers on the freeway; I narrowly avoided several solo rollovers, a problem I had never had with any other vehicle. Traded it in for a new '14 Mazda CX-5 which had far safer handling. My Pro is way superior to either of those SUVs in handling and safety. (The only SUVs that can be really safe are designed from the-ground-up BEV SUVs with their lower center of gravity).
The reason they give rebates on BEVs ($11K on my Pro) is so that we can reduce global warming and breathe cleaner air, so why does CR and just about every other reviewer focus on acceleration and 0 to 60 times? Fast driving consumes more energy and increases global warming. Instead, why don't they focus on 60 to 0 times which can prevent accidents and injuries?

·
Waiting for a RWD Blue ProS w/ Light interior. Ordered Sept 4, 2021.
236 Posts
Agreed, @Dana . They don't seem to factor in the idea of no Catalytic Converter to be stolen, no Fuel Injectors to become clogged, no exhaust manifold to ... whatever happens to those. Seriously, the 80% less mechanical things in an EV compared to an ICE should move the whole class up to the top of their reviews!

·
24 Posts
The Honda Element was aimed at a 25-34 demographic but it was the seniors that loved it. The young drivers who may have loved the car refused to buy something their grandmother was driving.

I still feel it was one of Honda's great vehicles. An EV version would slay.

·
261 Posts
Another thing, why has CR essentially ignored the VW ID.4 for about a year after it was introduced in the US market? Isn't VW the second biggest maker of BEVs in the world right after Tesla? VW isn't just mostly talking BEVs like Ford, GM, and Stellantis (doesn't even have a BEV in US yet); rather, VW is selling lots of 'em in Europe, China (the biggest BEV market in the world), and now the U.S. In Feb '22 issue CR road tests the Model S and gives ratings for 4 BEVs over $75K and also 4 BEVs for between $45K and $55K. Why wasn't the ID.4 included in the latter group? If they are thinking the ID.4 is in a lower price range, that argument just doesn't cut it. Some ID.4s have an MSRP of $45K. Alternatively, they could have started the price range at $40K and so included it, especially as the ID.4 definitely competes with Mach-e (which is included in ratings). Is there some bias going on? CR is big on safety, and ID.4 is one of the few cars tested by IIHS, EuroNCAP, and NHTSA, the big 3 of testing. CR is supposedly big on environmental issues, so why aren't they doing complete testing of BEVs early on, especially from major players like VW?

·
2021 Id.4 Pro
16 Posts
We purchased an ID.4 in June, having devoured as much info as we could find. We fit the Rav4 mold, except it was a 2008 Forester, our 4th Subaru. The Suby had a CD player; that was pretty much it for technology. The cruise control was the "slam into the vehicle in front of you type"; I very seldom used it. We still have one Subaru (#5), a 2012 Legacy. A fillup is right around $48.00 at an honest 25mpg. We'll hang on to it until parts become readily available for the ID.4. We haven't spent a penny on juice for the ID.4 and this includes a trip from Orlando, Flah, to Atlanta and back. For us, the bells and whistles on the ID.4 are fascinating; many of you out there have had vehicles that have some of those features. The adaptive cruise control, lane assist and back up camera are a treat. And contrary to a lot of people, we really like the single buttons for the windows. (I'm still hitting the wrong buttons on the Legacy to this day.) On the ID Talk forum, many of the vines are from people with problems that are looking for answers. There's not a lot of "love" vines; those people are just driving and enjoying and understandably not taking the time to speak out. We are kind of like cavemen marveling at another tribe that has fire. So, that pretty much makes us the target that VW was aiming at, and they hit us. Love the car. Love the technology that we are using, knowing there's a pile of it still to be learned and experienced and we are completely satisfied. And, when the updates start happening, I'm guessing we will be even "satisfieder!" Thanks to all of you that share your thoughts and ideas; I've put a number of them to use.
It surprises me that these guys don't acknowledge how polarizing Tesla's are. I know a number of people that just hate Tesla's, because of their "change for the sake of change" approach that these guys are criticizing VW for in this conversation. Tesla's single off center control screen you have to look away from the road to see— the hidden door handles that unfamiliar people can't get to work— the interior door handles that trap unfamiliar people inside, etc. The whole time I was listening to this I kept getting the feeling they all own Tesla's. If all the controls in my ID.4 worked well, I wouldn't have any problem with those changes at all. The reviewers all seem to be willing to accept the radical changes Tesla introduced, but much less so in the VW. Consumer Reports always trumpets how unbiased their reviews are, but I've long felt the people doing the reviews are completely biased—even though they try to hide them.
Agree. They should read Consumer Reports, which regularly pans Tesla's, including the new Model S (the (real) print reviewers hated the yolk steering wheel, lack of blinker stalk, and dumb blind support monitoring system). And no mention that some of the worst failings of VW software--including lame navigation---is rendered irrelevant by Android Auto/Carplay

·
2021 Id.4 Pro
16 Posts
That may be one of the worst car reviews I have ever seen. I've been a subscriber and supporter of Consumer Reports for 40 years, but their blind spots haven't changed a bit. They rip the gear shift, the window buttons, the defroster controls for being different and having to figure them out. An owner would have all of that down pat by day 2. He was tortured by the audio controls on the screen, but conveniently forgot to mention OR I could just use the + or - button on the steering wheel. No mention of BSW being right where you need it - as opposed to the Tesla forcing you to take your eyes off the road. As an ID4 awd drive owner, hard to believe they actually drove the car when it comes to handling, stability and braking. No mention of the 10-15k difference in price, or that Tesla's range is overstated. Love their Ioniq 5, but forget to mention that you can't even buy one in most states. I believe the term is Tesla fanboys. Shame on CR...
Price difference in Michigan (net of tax credit) is closer to $20k (cf. 2021 ID.4 Pro RWD), after Tesla's incessant price increases and scraping of it's base model. And that doesn't count the 3 years unlimited free changing @ EA.
I envy only (i) greater range, (ii) better/more reliable DC fast charging network, and (iii) better trip planning navigation (A Better Trip Planner has some catching up to do). But not worth $20k more to me....

·
227 Posts
Because it is the easiest thing for the “car experts” to point out and gain points. “Oh , it is much slower than Tesla model Y, this is not good”
Personally I think there should be one metric used to establish a car's "performance" capability and it should be something that reflects real-world usage by a majority of people. That would be the 30-60 mph acceleration time which parallels the acceleration needed to quickly merge from a highway ramp into traffic. This is something that the great majority of drivers do, even if only occasionally. I haven't had the need to stomp the accelerator from a standstill one time in my entire life (desire to, for fun is a different story)—but I have many, many times had to floor it to get up to speed fast on an entrance ramp. 0-60 mph is a meaningless number that basically implies you are breaking the law in most of the world. It's a drag race statistic that does not apply to real world use in 99.99% of daily driving.

·
13 Posts
I envy only (i) greater range, (ii) better/more reliable DC fast charging network, and (iii) better trip planning navigation (A Better Trip Planner has some catching up to do). But not worth $20k more to me....
I'm also looking at a similar price difference in Massachusetts and the network is my biggest envy right now - in particular 3 things:

1) There tend to be more plugs than the CCS stations (important if the Electrify America seem to have more reliability issues).
2) They tend to be in more convenient locations (for example, I am planning a northern Maine road trip which Tesla can do easily but ABRP can't find a route for the ID.4 that does not involve many extra hours and/or Canada)
3) The real time availability so apps like ABRP can see what's in use and/or broken.

If the difference was less than $20k I might consider it but I can rent a lot of cars for $20k.

·
227 Posts
3) The real time availability so apps like ABRP can see what's in use and/or broken.
If you get the $5 month premium plan ABRP provides real time traffic and charger station status. I've used it recently and it was spot on for the chargers.

·
13 Posts
If you get the $5 month premium plan ABRP provides real time traffic and charger station status. I've used it recently and it was spot on for the chargers.
Weird, I've paid for the premium and Tesla superchargers tend to show in-use/available but the Electrify America ones just show operational/non-operational.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,426 Posts
Weird, I've paid for the premium and Tesla superchargers tend to show in-use/available but the Electrify America ones just show operational/non-operational.

Better than EVgo - those just show up as "unknown".

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
1,045 Posts
Re. greater range I am not so sure. My son drives a 2021 model Y and in real life our ranges are pretty close. His is less than EPA, ours is more. Agreed on the other two, but even back when the ID4 was only ~$5000 cheaper than a Model Y before incentives I could not assign a $5k value to those two. Hence I am here.

·
5 Posts
Consumer Reports reviews ID4

We purchased an ID.4 in June, having devoured as much info as we could find. We fit the Rav4 mold, except it was a 2008 Forester, our 4th Subaru. The Suby had a CD player; that was pretty much it for technology. The cruise control was the "slam into the vehicle in front of you type"; I very seldom used it. We still have one Subaru (#5), a 2012 Legacy. A fillup is right around $48.00 at an honest 25mpg. We'll hang on to it until parts become readily available for the ID.4. We haven't spent a penny on juice for the ID.4 and this includes a trip from Orlando, Flah, to Atlanta and back. For us, the bells and whistles on the ID.4 are fascinating; many of you out there have had vehicles that have some of those features. The adaptive cruise control, lane assist and back up camera are a treat. And contrary to a lot of people, we really like the single buttons for the windows. (I'm still hitting the wrong buttons on the Legacy to this day.) On the ID Talk forum, many of the vines are from people with problems that are looking for answers. There's not a lot of "love" vines; those people are just driving and enjoying and understandably not taking the time to speak out. We are kind of like cavemen marveling at another tribe that has fire. So, that pretty much makes us the target that VW was aiming at, and they hit us. Love the car. Love the technology that we are using, knowing there's a pile of it still to be learned and experienced and we are completely satisfied. And, when the updates start happening, I'm guessing we will be even "satisfieder!" Thanks to all of you that share your thoughts and ideas; I've put a number of them to use.
LOVE vine:
I am going to tack on to your comments because I agree with most of what you said. I also love my ID.4 and am really enjoying the extras after driving a Nissan Leaf for 3 years. There is so much to enjoy and learn.

This car is so good looking, too. It reminds me of a Beetle in the styling and I love love love the white emblem in the front and in particular, how it looks lit when lights are on.

The tone of the review is really negative and they make far too many comparisons with other cars without going into much detail about ID.4. I did not find it helpful or informative. They just sound whiney about the things they didn't like that frankly, do not bother me as an owner. I do acknowledge there are some glitchy software issues that I am hoping get fixed. I too will be satisfieder when taken care of. But I am patient.

I initially worried about the back window button (having seen a few other reviews that complained about this). I worried about having to toggle between front and back because I need to open the back windows for my dogs, frequently. I am pleased to say that while it may seem like an important flaw in the review (and may give people pause), I actually really like the toggle. When you touch the "button", your finger has to linger just a second and you hear a plop sound. Then you can adjust the back windows. Touch again, wait to hear the plop sound, and you can adjust the front. I like it! If you are impatient and feel that you should be able to just brush your finger over it quickly and it should work for you, then you will be disappointed.

I can somewhat agree with the double touch of the seat warmer icon complaint but is it really such a bother? No, not to me. I imagine that can be improved with software changes.

The reviewers also had a problem with putting the car in gear and not being able to see the gear shifter thing behind the steering wheel. I do not understand their complaint. I can see it perfectly. They seemed a little too vehement in their irritation and that actually began to irritate me. I get the feeling they drove the car for an hour or so or for a day. Not nearly enough time for some good fahrvergnugen.

As for range, I am getting over 300 miles on a full charge, which is more than I thought.

And what was very important to me was how the car handles on steep roads and my very steep driveway. Really good, I am happy to say. It took some time to get used to the way the car rolls backwards on my driveway when I brake. I figured out that I have to brake less and it will roll backwards less and will return to rolling forward if I just give it a second. I have also gotten used to the alarms that go off and the forced braking that occurs when the car thinks I am too close to hitting something (the bottom of my driveway, usually). It just took time to figure this all out. Now I know how to avoid these things and can appreciate the alarms for what they are trying to tell me. At first, they scared me.

Not a good review for the ID.4, but as an owner, I would say so much of the driving experience was great from the start, some of the other issues were overcome with experience, and most of the nit-picky commentary I don't agree with. It is a great car and I am very pleased I bought it.

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
1,045 Posts
That is a great review, and mirrors many, if not most of my feelings. Thanks for taking the time to share!

·
5 Posts
After driving this morning I realized I forgot to mention how much I love the headlights when they anticipate my turns and illuminate in that direction. Super cool. Anyone else loving this? It is subtle and you may not have noticed it.

AND...the interior lights can be whatever colors I want! I freaking LOVE that! My default colors are purple to blueish purple to purple.

These items, my appreciation for European style and manufacturing, and that moon roof are FAR more important to me than those silly Consumer Reports complaints.

One more note on that CR review I just remembered: they had a real fit about the fact that the icon for climate control simply says CLIMA. They went so far as to suggest that VW wanted to save money by not adding the TE.:rolleyes: What dummies. In German, I'm pretty sure climate translates to KLIMA. It is CLIMA in Italian for sure (a major market for VW where I owned my first VW Polo). And I would bet they gave Americans the benefit of the doubt figuring we could work that out. Did they really need to change that for us?

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
533 Posts
After driving this morning I realized I forgot to mention how much I love the headlights when they anticipate my turns and illuminate in that direction. Super cool. Anyone else loving this? It is subtle and you may not have noticed it.

AND...the interior lights can be whatever colors I want! I freaking LOVE that! My default colors are purple to blueish purple to purple.

These items, my appreciation for European style and manufacturing, and that moon roof are FAR more important to me than those silly Consumer Reports complaints.

One more note on that CR review I just remembered: they had a real fit about the fact that the icon for climate control simply says CLIMA. They went so far as to suggest that VW wanted to save money by not adding the TE.:rolleyes: What dummies. In German, I'm pretty sure climate translates to KLIMA. It is CLIMA in Italian for sure (a major market for VW where I owned my first VW Polo). And I would bet they gave Americans the benefit of the doubt figuring we could work that out. Did they really need to change that for us?
I didn’t think the American iD4s got the good headlamps?

81 - 100 of 109 Posts