Volkswagen ID Forum banner
101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
1,045 Posts
After driving this morning I realized I forgot to mention how much I love the headlights when they anticipate my turns and illuminate in that direction. Super cool. Anyone else loving this? It is subtle and you may not have noticed it.
For sure! Our son commented on the cornering lights the first time he drove the car. His MY doesn't do this.
I think this is a great, but vastly underrated safety feature.

·
282 Posts
All I know is I never find myself wanting more wattage. This coming from guy who once put an airplane landing light in his BMW R65 motorcycle. And high beam control? Alien technology for sure!

·
5 Posts
I didn’t think the American iD4s got the good headlamps?
Huh, I cannot imagine why they would change the headlights for the American market, but then, I also do not understand why Italian pasta makers have to fortify the pasta for export to the US. Will be federal regulations or similar, I suppose.
I am super happy with the lights on my Pro S but now I am wondering what wonderful functions we did not get!

·
1,243 Posts
now I am wondering what wonderful functions we did not get!
Matrix headlights do some amazing things that I hope we will get since they recently legalized them in US, see:
And this only shows part of the coolness, he doesn't show what it does when other cars approach and the light moves around them.

·
5 Posts
Matrix headlights do some amazing things that I hope we will get since they recently legalized them in US, see:
And this only shows part of the coolness, he doesn't show what it does when other cars approach and the light moves around them.
Those matrix lights are indeed "good shit"! This guy is hilarious. And YES, also the great turning radius! I love that too!

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
533 Posts
Depends on the trim, but I have the 'eyeball' headlights on my FE. It is believed that the part numbers are the same, but they are neutered with software to comply with NHTSA specifications.
So you’ve got the blindingly bright headlamps, but the feature that stops them blinding oncoming motorists is switched off. And it is your “National Highway Traffic Safety Administration” that forces this safety feature to be switched off!

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
2,189 Posts
I believe the reason NHTSA stuck with discrete high and low beams is because when they evaluated an adaptive system maybe 5 years ago, they found it didn't perform to their standards in curves and with motorcycles.

So the blindingly bright ID.4 low beams (which are the best headlights I've ever owned) still have a traditional low beam cutoff, and only lack the even more dazzling adaptive high beam function.

The ID.4 high beams I assume equal the brightness of the Euro adaptive headlight, but they're "dumb" and must be manually controlled.

I expect most drivers stick with low beams in areas with traffic. I look forward to seeing adaptive lights in the coming years.

·
227 Posts
After driving this morning I realized I forgot to mention how much I love the headlights when they anticipate my turns and illuminate in that direction. Super cool. Anyone else loving this? It is subtle and you may not have noticed it.

AND...the interior lights can be whatever colors I want! I freaking LOVE that! My default colors are purple to blueish purple to purple.
I love the headlights too. I live in a cul-de-sac and when I arrive home at night the lights sweeeeep around the curve of houses! Totally cool. And I have a very similar color scheme in my car. Purple across the dash and deep blue in the door handles. Every time my daughter gets in the car she says "disco!"

·
261 Posts
Sure wish adaptive headlights were an option on the Pro. If the safety option package included center airbag, like ID.4 has in Europe, even better. (Why should folks in the front seats be injuring each other when a vehicle T-bones them causing their heads to collide)? I am loathe to get a higher trim just to get those safety features though. That's because I greatly prefer a metal roof over my head and cloth seats. To me a car will always be a functional machine -- no need to dress it up so much or waste money on too many creature comforts. The money is better spent on safety, handling, braking, efficiency....

101 - 109 of 109 Posts