Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
'09 Mercedes ML350 190k miles, '06 Nissan 350z roadster 144K miles, '08 Honda Accord 152k miles.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving my wife's ICE, I realized I needed to fuel it up. I purposely chose a Wawa that had an EA DCFC in hopes to see an ID.4 in the wild. Across the parking lot I see a moonstone grey pro rwd. After finishing fueling I head over to the car and speak with the driver who has their window cracked. I mention that I'll be taking delivery of my moonstone grey Pro S gradient AWD in the coming weeks. I was met with disinterest that put me back. This driver liked her car but didn't seem to know much about it. She remarked " oh yeah, they have to be ordered?". She clearly didn't have the wait and anticipation that the rest of us experience. I asked her if she got it at the local dealer that I have my reservation with and she was unsure of where the vehicle came from. WTF, did someone literally buy this car and hand it to her? Does she not know that people are obsessed with taking delivery of every ID.4 arriving on dealer lots? I realize that not everyone wants to be bothered while charging and simply wished her well and walked away. BTW it was during the day and I kept a repectful distance.

Was it crazy to think that every ID.4 owner would be passionate regarding this vehicle? What a disappointment.

·
263 Posts
That's probably a 1 in 100 encounter. I've "engaged" with several other random ID.4 owners, as well as people approaching me to admire the car. These people all knew what it is, that's it's currently rare, and maybe kind of special to many of us. I've also gotten "Thumbs Up" from other random drivers on the road.

No drivers of lifted diesel trucks with Roots blowers and DPF delete have deliberately rolled coal in my direction yet. lol.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
2,203 Posts
Not odd, this is a totally sexist observation but a few women I know just don't give a hoot about their cars and some I know for a fact entirely delegate the purchase to their husbands. Actually, there are probably an equal number of guys I know who have the approach "It's a Honda / Toyota / cheap truck and that's good enough for me" and don't really get into it. But I can't think of a single couple I know where the woman is "the car person" and the husband doesn't care.

Maybe your lady is sour on it because her well-intended husband "gifted" her this fantastic car but didn't get a home EVSE installed so she spends 30 minutes 2x a week parked at the friggin Wawa "fueling up," and she's just thrilled...

My wife gets the final say in the purchase though she isn't ever quite into it from the start. So I'll do the initial research and make a list, but she's fully involved in the "swipe left / swipe right" as we evaluate. With her previous Jetta, Passat, Volvo, and our test drives of the Polestar and the ID.4, I didn't even drive the cars -- it was all her. I let her reject the Mach-e and the Volvo Recharge all on her own. She only made me drive the ID.4 our second test drive out, at the dealership on the day we were there to purchase it.

She's been approached a number of times while charging and just out and about on the street, and her retellings are always enthusiastic, despite that she has a list of minor quibbles with the car. She's been a pretty good VW ambassador over the years and still has a fond spot for her '05.5 Jetta TDI.

·
14 Posts
Checking in as a woman who is the vehicle researcher and purchaser in my family (complete with the disinterested husband). He's into it now that we have it but he's not ever going to be the person who spends hours reading about a car or who can recite any of the specs. I don't think he knows what trim level our ID.4 is or even the name of the exterior color. 😂

·
'09 Mercedes ML350 190k miles, '06 Nissan 350z roadster 144K miles, '08 Honda Accord 152k miles.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the great feedback everyone. After I initially approached the vehicle I was unaware of the sex of the occupant. I did feel that I could have been percieved as a threat when I noticed the driver was a female. I respect that she may have been apprehensive. My wife will likely drive my pending ID.4 on occasion. I'm sure she'll never have to DCFC as we have an EVSE at home. She pointed out the safety aspect as well.

·
681 Posts
That's probably a 1 in 100 encounter. I've "engaged" with several other random ID.4 owners, as well as people approaching me to admire the car. These people all knew what it is, that's it's currently rare, and maybe kind of special to many of us. I've also gotten "Thumbs Up" from other random drivers on the road.

No drivers of lifted diesel trucks with Roots blowers and DPF delete have deliberately rolled coal in my direction yet. lol.
That’s because they don’t know that it’s electric. They can recognize a Tesla or a Prius.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S
97 Posts
10 years ago, my wife would've acted like that. Since then, she's become more informed and excited about the vehicles she owns and happily chats with others about her VWs that she's owned. Also, we were able to buy our ID.4 right off the dealer lot the same day, no ordering process or wait involved.

I will say, that with the rise of carjackings, anyone can be seen as a potential threat/distraction or appear to have ulterior motives despite coming across friendly and respectful. Also hard to say what someone's frame of mind is while sitting in their car, perhaps seeking some peace and quiet.

I'd just chalk it up to a random awkward social interaction that happens once in awhile, despite good intentions. :)

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
540 Posts
I know women whose husbands spent hours agonising over the exact spec and options of the car that woman drives. She however is utterly disinterested and knows nothing about the hours he spent contemplating the “winter pack” just so she could have the heated steering wheel or whatever.

Not all women obviously. But the one you spoke to is far from unique.

·
Pro S Gradient RWD White / Black
214 Posts
That’s because they don’t know that it’s electric. They can recognize a Tesla or a Prius.
one day I was sitting in the car parked at a large parking lot, a woman approached (maybe a lil bit drunk), winked at me and said, "Hey Tesla boy...."

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
2,203 Posts
one day I was sitting in the car parked at a large parking lot, a woman approached (maybe a lil bit drunk), winked at me and said, "Hey Tesla boy...."
Lol, I was stopped at a crosswalk on a narrow side street and an "older" woman was clearly wanting to cross so I waited. I motioned to her. I motioned again (she was standing in the street) and I finally roll my window down and say, "Please, go ahead." She meanders over to my open passenger side window and asks, "Is this self-driving?" I answer "No, it's not that fancy." She gives the dashboard a once-over, seems to reassure herself, then proceeds to cross in front of me.

Can I blame her? :D

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S Red
229 Posts
My wife and I were charging at a local EA when a drop-dead gorgeous black Taycan pulled up next to us to charge. The young man driving the Taycan reacted sheepishly when he heard us praise the Taycan. "You like this car? My wife made me buy it."

That guy is one lucky and undeserving husband.

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
540 Posts
My wife and I were charging at a local EA when a drop-dead gorgeous black Taycan pulled up next to us to charge. The young man driving the Taycan reacted sheepishly when he heard us praise the Taycan. "You like this car? My wife made me buy it."

That guy is one lucky and undeserving husband.
She’s probably playing status games with the neighbours, spending his money on crap he doesn’t want.

·
640 Posts
Was cleaning the windshield in my driveway the other day and a local woman was walking by, hangs up her cell phone, runs over and asks me how we like the car, etc, etc… says they used to have a Subaru like our old one and have an order in for an ID.4… so, clearly not all women uninterested :) Plus I did two EV car shows during Drive Electric week and about half the questions came from women…

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,931 Posts
I feel a bit like a VW ambassador every time I'm at EA. I always get into a conversation with owners and/or curious ICE folks just passing by (it's a nice new combined ICE/EV service area with a convenience store).

The last time there I helped a new owner thru the charge start process and she indicated she was the one who made the purchasing decision.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
I always enjoy talking to other ID.4 owners or any other EV owners at EA stations or anywhere else for that matter. Some people like to talk and compare notes, some don't. I find that it is the same in any social situation. It could be a tailgate party, a motorcycle rally, or just walking in the park. Different strokes for different folks

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S Gradient
144 Posts
I have had my ID.4 since July and 8,500 miles on the clock so far. Love the car, but have only seen one in the wild and that was at a EA DCFC in Marietta, GA in August. I was almost through charging when he arrived and he wouldn't even look my way or roll down his window. Oh well. I did see a Taycan at the Alabaster, AL EA DCFC a few weeks back. He was friendly and just had to punch it leaving.

I was on a road trip from Central Alabama to Little Rock, AR and had a couple of people stop by to ask about the car when charging at EA in Athens, AL. Walmart. Other than that no one has ever commented on my car until two days ago. I was in a Doctor's office waiting room and one of the others there asked how I liked my ID.4. His father has that other brand so he knew the ID.4 was an EV.

·
2021 ID.4 PRO S AWD
258 Posts
@gt1rider It happens more often than you think. I met a guy when I was in DC who was pretty clueless, didn’t even park in the space properly. He went looking for ICE vehicle and ended up with an ID.4. Luckly the other space that he was blocking had an out of service EVSE.

BTW - I really hope that they fixed that EVSE. Only three DCFC at the only station in DC, so one being down has a large impact. I was close to the VA line so I started charging there because there were larger stations with more availability.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,931 Posts
My doctor and I (dentist too) often talk cars. After we finished up last time he took a break and came out to see my ID.4.

Later I felt a little bad about whomever in the waiting room was as a result waiting longer. 😆
I have had my ID.4 since July and 8,500 miles on the clock so far. Love the car, but have only seen one in the wild and that was at a EA DCFC in Marietta, GA in August. I was almost through charging when he arrived and he wouldn't even look my way or roll down his window. Oh well. I did see a Taycan at the Alabaster, AL EA DCFC a few weeks back. He was friendly and just had to punch it leaving.

I was on a road trip from Central Alabama to Little Rock, AR and had a couple of people stop by to ask about the car when charging at EA in Athens, AL. Walmart. Other than that no one has ever commented on my car until two days ago. I was in a Doctor's office waiting room and one of the others there asked how I liked my ID.4. His father has that other brand so he knew the ID.4 was an EV.

·
ID4:1E - Blue Dusk Metallic
360 Posts
@gt1rider Good luck with your purchase, hope you enjoy it. And welcome.

That said, I've encountered ID4's driven as company cars & were charging while at work. With that in mind, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

He/She/They can be not totally geeked out as an "EV Fanbody." Just look up BatteryLife videos' where Chris's wife: Cindy is openly & very much: meh, I'm not into this. It's a car... Meanwhile Chris is all: That's the stuff!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts