Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

VW ID4 AWD Pro S
Checking in as a woman who is the vehicle researcher and purchaser in my family (complete with the disinterested husband). He's into it now that we have it but he's not ever going to be the person who spends hours reading about a car or who can recite any of the specs. I don't think he knows what trim level our ID.4 is or even the name of the exterior color. 馃槀
Absolutely the same at my house! We don't have the vehicle yet, but I (women/wife) am the researcher/reader. He did come for the test drive with my prompting, but certainly wasn't excited about going, liked the ID.4 though after the test drive. Husband is a car person, fixes all of our ICE vehicles and is restoring a 68' Pontiac Firebird, but doesn't really get into the beforehand reviews and research.

Was this women young? Maybe parents bought the car for her and she just drives it? Hard to say, but this women will be an enthusiastic owner, when the day comes.

This discussion is dangerous because it touches on economic justice. If your family income is $10M per year, a $50k car is about as big of a deal as is, say, a $250 purchase is for a median family with a $50k income. I don't think many "regular" people obsess about $250 purchases, like dishwashers, for example.

It is car nuts and Tesla fanboys and EV enthusiasts who get all worked up about stuff like square tire configurations and potential optimizations of a car's user interface. Everybody else just drives whatever happens to be available.

Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
I encounter people when I am out and about who just want to know about the car. One mentioned that he also wanted to see the Hyundai. One asked how the range was in the winter (at the time, we didn't have enough of it for me to say a whole lot, but for our climate and situation, I have a minimal impact).

Waiting for euro spec Scale Silver ID.4 Pro Performance Business Max MY22
She鈥檚 probably playing status games with the neighbours, spending his money on crap he doesn鈥檛 want.
My wife does not care what I drive for as long as it is BMW. If I had any money I could see her saying her husband needs to drive Porsche. Luckily I do not have any problem with that, I am okay choosing from the brands she approves 馃槵. It is however okay for me to swap ICE BMW to BEV VW so there must be some status multiplier in play here.

I ordered an ID4 Pure performance without telling my wife.
when she was almost asleep at night i told her that I had ordered a new car and that she could choose the color.
after not speaking to me for 3 weeks she decided the color should be white.
meanwhile we did a test drive and she loves the car.
馃榿

Checking in as a woman who is the vehicle researcher and purchaser in my family (complete with the disinterested husband). He's into it now that we have it but he's not ever going to be the person who spends hours reading about a car or who can recite any of the specs. I don't think he knows what trim level our ID.4 is or even the name of the exterior color. 馃槀
oh, my son pines to meet a woman like you! He's so into cars but can't find a woman that shares any interest. Good for you though. I hope you enjoy your car!

Was cleaning the windshield in my driveway the other day and a local woman was walking by, hangs up her cell phone, runs over and asks me how we like the car, etc, etc鈥 says they used to have a Subaru like our old one and have an order in for an ID.4鈥 so, clearly not all women uninterested :) Plus I did two EV car shows during Drive Electric week and about half the questions came from women鈥
"... but the charge cable is so heavy" LOL. I don't know any women who prefers going to the gas station and risk getting mugged.

Also checking in as the person who has done all the research and is obsessed with EVs--my husband is willing to go along with it all, but doesn't ever touch the infotainment screen except to turn on the radio, and he gets all his info from the dash behind the wheel. I've never been a car person...until EVs. Now you can't shut me up. I'll talk to anyone who even shows a tiny bit of interest at EA stations, and I've started bringing the ID4 to EV education events. And all other ID4 owners I've encountered on my road trips have all been just as excited to talk about their car, including @jgoodnough . It's telling that my 21-year-old daughter made me this ornament for Christmas, complete with my purple accent lighting. :love:
Wheel Tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel

Attachments

Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
I've never been a car person...until EVs. Now you can't shut me up. I'll talk to anyone who even shows a tiny bit of interest
That's me as well. Electric drivetrains and most other bits on EVs make so much sense, it HAS to be talked about. I still don't care much about tires and such, unless they are super-efficient and quiet.
A Lucid store opened in the upscale mall 2 miles north from me, now I have to go and see...

ID4 AWD Pro
While driving my wife's ICE, I realized I needed to fuel it up. I purposely chose a Wawa that had an EA DCFC in hopes to see an ID.4 in the wild. Across the parking lot I see a moonstone grey pro rwd. After finishing fueling I head over to the car and speak with the driver who has their window cracked. I mention that I'll be taking delivery of my moonstone grey Pro S gradient AWD in the coming weeks. I was met with disinterest that put me back. This driver liked her car but didn't seem to know much about it. She remarked " oh yeah, they have to be ordered?". She clearly didn't have the wait and anticipation that the rest of us experience. I asked her if she got it at the local dealer that I have my reservation with and she was unsure of where the vehicle came from. WTF, did someone literally buy this car and hand it to her? Does she not know that people are obsessed with taking delivery of every ID.4 arriving on dealer lots? I realize that not everyone wants to be bothered while charging and simply wished her well and walked away. BTW it was during the day and I kept a repectful distance.

Was it crazy to think that every ID.4 owner would be passionate regarding this vehicle? What a disappointment.
Literally, I'd think she would be the target population that VW wants to sell to, not people like us.
I'm more passionate about the ioniq 5, just to be disappointed by Hyundai's operation on the preorder and launch issues.
I placed my preorder of this ID.4 about 2 months after I put down my deposit for ioniq 5. This was just a plan B for its price and 3 years of unlimited free charge which I thought was ridiculous and would be gone next year (and it did reduce to 30 mins sessions, better than my expectation). Also, the fact that VW would factor in the 7500 tax credit to the lease because I'm the only work person at home and I cannot work to own the federal more than 7500, which means at least 100-120k plus income for a couple with no children). I haven't even been interested in the ID.4 before driving one, just because of the dislikes from almost all journalists about how "uncool" it is.

I only became interested after my wife and I both drove in the RWD ID.4 local dealer had. The handling, ride comfort and build quality just impressed me a lot, especially after driving a model Y back to back on the same day. RWD's acceleration is more than enough in town, but a bit too slow after 60 mph though. Acceleration is also a matter of road trip safety if you cannot go fast enough to merge into a busy highway. It's the reason we ordered the AWD. Another reason is my wife really likes the look, both exterior and interior of the ID.4, over Model Y or ioniq 5.

I'd say I'm a traditional automobile enthusiast. I had sports cars, SUVs, trucks, almost any kind of vehicles you can imagine. I value the build quality and design more than some fancy software or "minimalist" interior. A vehicle to me has to be a safe and good vehicle first, not a fancy iPad first. To me, model Y is just a bulky heavy very fast (but cannot stop well) iPad with the poor build quality. VW at least got the vehicle part right, that's its first identity IMHO. And the staggered tire actually helped the handling quite a bit. I tried to accelerate out a right turn with the RWD and anticipated a slide, but the car just sprint out of the wet after rain intersection with no issue. Tried with my wife's Escape 2.0T with Pirelli tires 20 mins later, it slides at about 10 mph lower speed. Idk maybe the ESC on the VW also worked better being 8 years newer? I love driving sportier cars, but toys are just toys for me. This ID.4 and my sonata hybrid are the ones I like to ride in as a daily commute.

We never owned any EV before, the closest "electrified" experience was from my 17 sonata hybrid which also has a minor regen from its 39hp electric motor. And I bought this car my 3rd commute car just because it's cheap (28k MSRP, paid 21k brand new in 2018, which is cheaper than most new ICE in this segment). But then ended loving it quite a bit. It's nowhere near the fun and handling of my Focus ST (1:1.8 steering ratio), and not even as fast as my F150 (about 1s slower than the truck). But it's super comfortable and rides nice, easy to park. Trying new things is risky. It's why I bought this cheap sonata hybrid to try it out. It's also my first Korean car. We heard a lot of bad words about Korean cars, both in the US and in China, but it turns out to be giving us the least issue for the first 3 years out of all the new vehicles we had before, not even a squeak from any interior panel (mix of US and Japs made). We were both impressed about the quietness when the engine is off and running on EV mode, that's also a plus point for ID.4 (and the US model doesn't even have a double laminated side window at all). We have never owned any VW before as well. My dad had a golf vi in China for about 10 years. VW had a much better reputation for building quality and longevity in China other than in the US. So we'll see how it goes.

She likes the fact that she can drive like a normal SUV in D mode, and I think I'd probably use more of the B mode on commute. I don't like the super-strong regen or nothing at all of Tesla, it's why I like ioniq 5 better that you can adjust the regen from paddles. Only thing I think missing on the B is a brake hold mode at light (and hope it would work on D as well). It actually has the brake hold, if you use travel assist and there's a car in front of you. It just won't do it if you stopped at the light by yourself.

'09 Mercedes ML350 190k miles, '06 Nissan 350z roadster 144K miles, '08 Honda Accord 152k miles.
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Also checking in as the person who has done all the research and is obsessed with EVs--my husband is willing to go along with it all, but doesn't ever touch the infotainment screen except to turn on the radio, and he gets all his info from the dash behind the wheel. I've never been a car person...until EVs. Now you can't shut me up. I'll talk to anyone who even shows a tiny bit of interest at EA stations, and I've started bringing the ID4 to EV education events. And all other ID4 owners I've encountered on my road trips have all been just as excited to talk about their car, including @jgoodnough . It's telling that my 21-year-old daughter made me this ornament for Christmas, complete with my purple accent lighting. :love:

While driving my wife's ICE, I realized I needed to fuel it up. I purposely chose a Wawa that had an EA DCFC in hopes to see an ID.4 in the wild. Across the parking lot I see a moonstone grey pro rwd. After finishing fueling I head over to the car and speak with the driver who has their window cracked. I mention that I'll be taking delivery of my moonstone grey Pro S gradient AWD in the coming weeks. I was met with disinterest that put me back. This driver liked her car but didn't seem to know much about it. She remarked " oh yeah, they have to be ordered?". She clearly didn't have the wait and anticipation that the rest of us experience. I asked her if she got it at the local dealer that I have my reservation with and she was unsure of where the vehicle came from. WTF, did someone literally buy this car and hand it to her? Does she not know that people are obsessed with taking delivery of every ID.4 arriving on dealer lots? I realize that not everyone wants to be bothered while charging and simply wished her well and walked away. BTW it was during the day and I kept a repectful distance.

Was it crazy to think that every ID.4 owner would be passionate regarding this vehicle? What a disappointment.
She probably went home later and described what happened to her significant other........" You wouldn't believe what happened to me today. I was sitting in my car at a charging station minding my own business when some weirdo ( actually car guy) came up to me and actually started to talk to me about cars. I tried to ignore him.......considered calling the police. Luckily he eventually left". 馃ぃ

ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
She probably went home later and described what happened to her significant other........" You wouldn't believe what happened to me today. I was sitting in my car at a charging station minding my own business when some weirdo ( actually car guy) came up to me and actually started to talk to me about cars. I tried to ignore him.......considered calling the police. Luckily he eventually left". 馃ぃ
Lol, actually it dawned on me retelling this story to my wife that GT Rider walked over from the gas station so that must have seemed sort of weird. It wasn't like another friendly EVer pulling in to the neighboring space. I was actually phrasing it to her in the form of a question and stopped midway and said, "oh, that would be weird."

AWD Pro S Gradient delivered 11/30/21
Maybe just me but when spotting what looks like a kindred spirit who shares any of my interests, be it cars, bikes, running, dogs etc. I always feel easier addressing another male. If I should nod acknowledgement of a fellow female enthusiast and they respond then I might possibly speak but typically wouldn鈥檛 do that unless they specifically address me. FWIW I caution my granddaughter (and grandson for that matter) to never engage a stranger in conversation without having their radar up and to tread cautiously. Old school perhaps but better than leaving an encounter scratching my head.

I've had mine since August. I love it. Not one problem. It's fun to drive. Seems like a very safe ride. I feel lucky to have it. If there is one criticism it would be the lack of dealer knowledge on the workings of the ID.4. Also -- there should be more user education on the battery. It's not just DC charging up to 80% but also the battery degradation from DC charging.

Maybe she didn鈥檛 appreciate a male stranger striking a conversation with her?

Not odd, this is a totally sexist observation but a few women I know just don't give a hoot about their cars and some I know for a fact entirely delegate the purchase to their husbands. Actually, there are probably an equal number of guys I know who have the approach "It's a Honda / Toyota / cheap truck and that's good enough for me" and don't really get into it. But I can't think of a single couple I know where the woman is "the car person" and the husband doesn't care.

Maybe your lady is sour on it because her well-intended husband "gifted" her this fantastic car but didn't get a home EVSE installed so she spends 30 minutes 2x a week parked at the friggin Wawa "fueling up," and she's just thrilled...

My wife gets the final say in the purchase though she isn't ever quite into it from the start. So I'll do the initial research and make a list, but she's fully involved in the "swipe left / swipe right" as we evaluate. With her previous Jetta, Passat, Volvo, and our test drives of the Polestar and the ID.4, I didn't even drive the cars -- it was all her. I let her reject the Mach-e and the Volvo Recharge all on her own. She only made me drive the ID.4 our second test drive out, at the dealership on the day we were there to purchase it.

She's been approached a number of times while charging and just out and about on the street, and her retellings are always enthusiastic, despite that she has a list of minor quibbles with the car. She's been a pretty good VW ambassador over the years and still has a fond spot for her '05.5 Jetta TDI.
FWIW - I own/drive a Porsche Boxster as my 'daily driver' and my fiance owns/drives a Hyundai Tucson. I took delivery of my id.4 in December 2021 (Pro S, Dusk Blue / Gray) and I own it exclusively - but my fiance has driven it on some long legs and she LOVES it! She gave it high marks on low noise level, solid driving 'feel' and comfortable seats / cabin.

My encounter at EA today

As usual, two of the four charging stations are out of order. I even called EA support and they couldn't do anything about either of them remotely. One of the chargers says "Unavailable", the other is frozen on the home screen and unresponsive. BTW one of the stations has been OOO for about 6 months.

There was a Bolt and an Audi e-tron at the working stations. I decided to wait. Both owners were on the phone to EA.

The Bolt owner couldn't get charging to start because the station couldn't read her phone or something. Together they finally did get it to work.

The Audi owner had finished charging but couldn't unplug the charger. It seemed to be stuck. I observed from a distance and figured out that she just didn't know how to unplug the thing. She was pulling on the charger weakly with one hand while talking on the phone with the other hand. The plug wouldn't budge. I offered to help her. Using both hands and some forceful pulling, I was able to unplug it. She thanked me profusely.

Both these owners had unfavorable experiences charging their cars.

This is not how the process should work. :(

21 - 40 of 47 Posts