Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty much sold on the ID.4, but I've been curious about the cost to charge at home here in San Diego where SDG&E electric rates are relatively high. So I decided to compare the cost of charging an ID.4 with the cost of buying gas for a hybrid CUV/SUV, like the RAV4 hybrid (not Prime). For this comparison, I'm ignoring the fact that an EV means never going to a gas station again and that an EV would require much less maintenance. For a rough estimate, I used my current time-of-use rate plan's summer rate of $0.29846 / kWh for super off-peak (midnight - 6am). If I'm calculating correctly, a full charge (77 kWh) would cost about $23 before whatever extra taxes and fees SDG&E might add. Toyota claims a RAV4 hybrid gets 40MPG combined, so it would take 6.25 gallons to go the same 250 miles as the ID.4 can go on a full charge. At $3.60/gallon (a good price around here), 6.25 gallons would cost $22.50. So not much of a difference. Our electric utility offers a multitude of confusing rate plans, including an EV rate plan that charges only $0.09338/kWh for super off-peak, but you have to pay an extra $16 flat service fee each month, plus rates for on-peak and off-peak are higher than for non-EV rate plans. That's more trouble to calculate than I'm willing to attempt right now. After going through this exercise, I'm still planning on switching from a hybrid to an EV this year.

ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
Any chance of adding solar to your home?

Reactions: TimD

Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
Go solar my friend, it's the only way with SGD&E in the picture.

I test drove the RAV 4 hybrid yesterday. Was looking at the prime but they didn鈥檛 have any and when they do arrive. They add 10k dealer charge because it is in high demand. Anyway , the RAV 4 hybrid was a bit weak and loud. to me the ID4 is more than just trying to save gas money, it about a much better ride. As for electricity cost, 3 years free from EA is hard to beat

30 cents per kWh - Yikes! We pay 1/4 of that where I live in Canada. And gasoline is much more expensive here too.

You would think VW would prioritize the ID.4 for the Canadian market but VW Canada is taking its sweet time introducing it here.

Discussion Starter · #6 ·
30 cents per kWh - Yikes! We pay 1/4 of that where I live in Canada. And gasoline is much more expensive here too.

You would think VW would prioritize the ID.4 for the Canadian market but VW Canada is taking its sweet time introducing it here.
In San Diego, the on-peak summer rate for time-of-use plans is 52 to 60 cents per kWh (depending on your total usage for the entire billing cycle). I won't be charging during daytime hours!

2021 Moonstone Grey ID.4
I'm pretty much sold on the ID.4, but I've been curious about the cost to charge at home here in San Diego where SDG&E electric rates are relatively high. So I decided to compare the cost of charging an ID.4 with the cost of buying gas for a hybrid CUV/SUV, like the RAV4 hybrid (not Prime). For this comparison, I'm ignoring the fact that an EV means never going to a gas station again and that an EV would require much less maintenance. For a rough estimate, I used my current time-of-use rate plan's summer rate of $0.29846 / kWh for super off-peak (midnight - 6am). If I'm calculating correctly, a full charge (77 kWh) would cost about $23 before whatever extra taxes and fees SDG&E might add. Toyota claims a RAV4 hybrid gets 40MPG combined, so it would take 6.25 gallons to go the same 250 miles as the ID.4 can go on a full charge. At $3.60/gallon (a good price around here), 6.25 gallons would cost $22.50. So not much of a difference. Our electric utility offers a multitude of confusing rate plans, including an EV rate plan that charges only $0.09338/kWh for super off-peak, but you have to pay an extra $16 flat service fee each month, plus rates for on-peak and off-peak are higher than for non-EV rate plans. That's more trouble to calculate than I'm willing to attempt right now. After going through this exercise, I'm still planning on switching from a hybrid to an EV this year.
FWIW - I replaced my 2017 RAV4 Hybrid with an ID.4. While I really liked my RAV, I LOVE my ID.4. The ride is great, the off-the-line acceleration is too much fun, and it's so quiet! Plus, I'm going on a road trip this weekend & it'll be nice not to pay for fuel.

I tried for couple of months to buy a RAV4 Prime but dealers here in SoCal are quite "greedy" by my standards. None would sell one at MSRP. While I liked the car I wasn't gonna pay $3-7K above MSRP. So I searched for EVs entirely and found ID4 was the right choice for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts