At this point, I'd wait if I had a suitable car. There are just too many downsides that can't be fixed OTA - or likely won't be fixed OTA. I'm thinking of the unlighted buttons below the screen, poor option choices, what more and more appears to be a needed upgrade to the infotainment processor power, the ridiculous piano black surfaces, poor interior color choices (I'm looking at you, brown on the dashboard and whatever color the fabric seats are supposed to be). I have a feeling the price will come down, I've already seen a report of someone buying a FE off the lot at a discount. If you like audio, maybe there's an upgraded stereo option coming? There's more of course.
Potential downsides: These could well be a two-year fix, and won't be fixed this model year. There might not be a US improvement until stateside production comes on line. There could well be a de-contenting push, particularly to get the price down...this would be most noticeable with the FE. If you really, really like the FE version - it's what I've got and it's a great set of options - then maybe just get one. Finally, I think VW probably way over-engineered and put more goodies in than is profitable in this first year both to sell them and to ensure they are as rock-solid as possible. I worry about engineering and accounting getting involved in future models.
In short, the car is a hoot to drive, but it's not quite there if you want a seamless experience.