Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
1,523 Posts
Not on this car (yet) but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. They're usually very competitively priced and I've used Curt hitches on 3 or 4 other cars over the years and found them to be at least as good and as easy to install as any other brand. I'm probably eventually gonna install one on my car, but I'm waiting for one with a 1 1/4 inch receiver. I'll never tow anything heavy and I don't like the idea of that HUGE receiver sticking out back there. I put a 1 1/4 Curt hitch on my 2014 Ford Transit Connect and have never regretted not getting the 2 inch monster, so I'm sure the smaller version is what I want for this car too

Don

76 Posts
Ha, I just spent 20mins trying to find where to buy a Curt 13489 online. Any one find it yet?

72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not on this car (yet) but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. They're usually very competitively priced and I've used Curt hitches on 3 or 4 other cars over the years and found them to be at least as good and as easy to install as any other brand. I'm probably eventually gonna install one on my car, but I'm waiting for one with a 1 1/4 inch receiver. I'll never tow anything heavy and I don't like the idea of that HUGE receiver sticking out back there. I put a 1 1/4 Curt hitch on my 2014 Ford Transit Connect and have never regretted not getting the 2 inch monster, so I'm sure the smaller version is what I want for this car too

Don
Yea my bike racks and luggage racks are already 2in so thinking it would be easier just to use that.

76 Posts
Yes, I mentioned I called no fewer than 10 of the dealers Curt has listed. Finally today I called another handful and finally found a dealer that COULD get the part. It is in the mail! :)

76 Posts
Let me know how install etc goes
I was waiting to get all the parts and finish/test it before posting.
I finished it a few mins ago. ;)
It was easy, really nice to work on a BRAND new car for once. No dirt, no rust, and it was easy to do anyway.
2021 USA ID4 Pro-S AWD Gradient, it was delivered with factory 1 1/2" hitch.

1) I removed the factory 1.5" hitch (4 bolts, save bolts for step #2).
2) I replaced factor hitch with the Curt 13489.
3) Removed 4 screws from the rear plug cover (save screws for step #4).
4) Plugged 7-pole socket into plug exposed after removing factor plug cover.
5) Inside cabin, drivers side left kick pannel, I just had to move it out of the way a little (did not need to remove), retrieved the ID4's trailer brake plug which was just laying there behind the panel.
6) I already owned a Tekonsha trailer brake from my other vehicle so I purchased a Tekonsha Plug-in Wiring Adapter (pigtails) into the factory ID4 harness. I used wiring diagram I found on this site (to match colors of my harness to the ID4's plug) and cut zero wires.

All good! Thank you so much to the others before me that figured all this out and made it easy!

This thread has some pictures too: trailer connection
And this: Trailer braking?

Angle of my picture makes it look like hitch and socket are touching plastic bumper. That is not the case, all has plenty of clearance.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Mode of transport Hood

67 Posts
I was waiting to get all the parts and finish/test it before posting.
I finished it a few mins ago. ;)
It was easy, really nice to work on a BRAND new car for once. No dirt, no rust, and it was easy to do anyway.
2021 USA ID4 Pro-S AWD Gradient, it was delivered with factory 1 1/2" hitch.

1) I removed the factory 1.5" hitch (4 bolts, save bolts for step #2).
2) I replaced factor hitch with the Curt 13489.
3) Removed 4 screws from the rear plug cover (save screws for step #4).
4) Plugged 7-pole socket into plug exposed after removing factor plug cover.
5) Inside cabin, drivers side left kick pannel, I just had to move it out of the way a little (did not need to remove), retrieved the ID4's trailer brake plug which was just laying there behind the panel.
6) I already owned a Tekonsha trailer brake from my other vehicle so I purchased a Tekonsha Plug-in Wiring Adapter (pigtails) into the factory ID4 harness. I used wiring diagram I found on this site (to match colors of my harness to the ID4's plug) and cut zero wires.

All good! Thank you so much to the others before me that figured all this out and made it easy!

This thread has some pictures too: trailer connection
And this: Trailer braking?

Angle of my picture makes it look like hitch and socket are touching plastic bumper. That is not the case, all has plenty of clearance.
View attachment 6882
Thank you very much for your post... eTrailer has the 2" receiver for a crazy high price... do you mind sharing what you paid for the Curt part?

332 Posts
Discount Hitches cancelled my order. "The item is currently only available as a backorder. The manufacturer wants to charge an additional cost for shipping once it does become available. We are fighting with them now as they already forced us to raise the price of the item and we do not agree with this shipping cost."

67 Posts
I ordered the hitch from them also. They asked if it was ok if it was backordered and I said “yes” and they are keeping the order alive. They didn’t mention anything about a price increase and I got the free shipping too.

332 Posts
I ordered the hitch from them also. They asked if it was ok if it was backordered and I said “yes” and they are keeping the order alive. They didn’t mention anything about a price increase and I got the free shipping too.
They asked me, and then I asked them to keep the order. And then they did the opposite. Why did they ask me then?

332 Posts
A few minutes ago I got a note from UPS that I'm getting a package delivered tomorrow from Curt Mfg, Inc. So much for back-order and a one to two week shipping time! That was fast!
Maybe you should reorder.
I did. They cancelled again due to out of stock. Maybe you got lucky.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.