Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
68 Posts
I find my Pro RWD while in comfort mode makes little subtle "klunk" when going over bumps and dips. It is less "klunky" when in sport mode IMO.

·
159 Posts
Maybe @VW TECHNICIAN can chime in on this? VW customer care seems to have finally given up on looking into why non-adjustable suspension has an adjustment choice in the MODE customization menu. :)
It is built in same factory for many different markets and eventually they decided to not offer this type of suspension.....for North America.....will it come with AWD i can't say. And from my observations on wiring schematics there is no provision for this type of shock....even software does have coding for but it is disabled and it will disappear in newer versions. 1st Edition MAX in EU have provisioning for DCC Shock but if my memory serves me right that is 10k Euros more.... And i really don't see need for RWD and 200+ HP propulsion unit. And upcoming Big EUV will have this.Some sacrifice was needed to make VW EV as close as possible to be affordable to more people in US.

·
276 Posts
It is built in same factory for many different markets and eventually they decided to not offer this type of suspension.....for North America.....will it come with AWD i can't say. And from my observations on wiring schematics there is no provision for this type of shock....even software does have coding for but it is disabled and it will disappear in newer versions. 1st Edition MAX in EU have provisioning for DCC Shock but if my memory serves me right that is 10k Euros more.... And i really don't see need for RWD and 200+ HP propulsion unit. And upcoming Big EUV will have this.Some sacrifice was needed to make VW EV as close as possible to be affordable to more people in US.
It was par tof the "1st max" and Max editions. now that we don't have "editions" anymore, it's still order-able as part of a "sport plus" package in Europe. it also makes the car sit about half an inch lower.
Some people swear by it, but i don't have it either.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,547 Posts
VAG seems to consistently provide a 10mm suspension drop in their Sport Plus options, so not surprised. Perhaps a mod down the road. :unsure:
[since you kindly provided Imperial I returned the favor with Metric]
It was par tof the "1st max" and Max editions. now that we don't have "editions" anymore, it's still order-able as part of a "sport plus" package in Europe. it also makes the car sit about half an inch lower.
Some people swear by it, but i don't have it either.

·
White Pro S
255 Posts
If you are getting significant "thunks" dealer prep may have neglected to remove the shipping spring restraints (aka "shipping blocks/straps"). The vehicle has to be jacked up, allowing the wheels/springs to slump, in order to see if present or not.
i've found my suspension to be on the harsher side - what am i looking for when jacking it up?

·
159 Posts
i've found my suspension to be on the harsher side - what am i looking for when jacking it up?
Most EV this days are running at 42 PSI to gain around if my memory serves me 0.3 miles per kWh better efficiency...if you want better comfort and sacrifice efficiency drop it to 38 PSI and let me know what you feel.

·
276 Posts
VAG seems to consistently provide a 10mm suspension drop in their Sport Plus options, so not surprised. Perhaps a mod down the road. :unsure:
[since you kindly provided Imperial I returned the favor with Metric]
it's actually 15mm in metric ;)

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
430 Posts
Most EV this days are running at 42 PSI to gain around if my memory serves me 0.3 miles per kWh better efficiency...if you want better comfort and sacrifice efficiency drop it to 38 PSI and let me know what you feel.
I am running 38psi all around and have been for about a month. I "think" it feels a little softer, but it is pretty close to what is felt like at 42, it might be my imagination. Am going back to 42 in a few weeks to try to compare. Will track the efficiency when i bump them back up.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the manual shows 36psi for half load.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,547 Posts
You're looking for a rather obvious block or strap that retains the spring from relaxing. It's used to keep vehicles aboard ship/over the road transport from rocking too much.

But as VW Technician well cites it could be just the shipping/dealership high tire pressure. So first properly inflate your tires for your typical vehicle loading. In hotter weather the tire pressure may very well have gone up substantially since last checked too, especially when adding the heat of distance driving. Remember to reset the TPMS alert threshold in the computer when you do.

·
159 Posts
Sorry for getting this late. Regarding suspension on ID4 ....to get good results with heavy EV there was needed to go with stiffer suspension that would have some effects what some people are reporting... there will be time to adjust operating quite more heavy EV for people who have driven only ICE and just moved to EV.
At this type of weight there is going to be hard to make suspension to work for majority of people.
Only solution would be from engineering standpoint going on air ride suspension and electric controlled shocks. But then this will increase overall cost for VW and for consumers. Now this type of suspension do have draw backs.
There is no perfect solution when dealing with weight of this type. Even Tesla model Y experience same issue because of not getting air ride suspension.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,547 Posts
Tanner Foust cites that given the ID.4's low center of gravity and battery-stiffened chassis the engineers were actually able to provide a relatively soft suspension and not impart the typical resultant body roll (Audi Q5 comes readily to mind with much body roll).
So again if significantly stiff first check your tire pressure (rested 'cold' tires) and for non-removed shipping blocks/straps.
2:09 ->

·
White Pro S
255 Posts
I'll check for straps but it's probably just me being a little princess. Tires are definitely set to 42.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,547 Posts
Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 8.51.21 AM.png
Nah, these things are very subjective and experience based. As I've said before most any SUV was bound to be more comfortable than my prior sports coupe. But again I find my 20" wheel ID.4 on par with my wife's 18" wheel GLA (stiffer run flat tires in her case). And ride comfort on Winter potholes/ice bumps was a primary test drive focus for our GLA buy. As was mine during my 2-hour ID.4 test drive in mid-March.
I'll check for straps but it's probably just me being a little princess. Tires are definitely set to 42.

·
Super Moderator
471 Posts
I am wondering if anyone has actually found any straps or blocks. Maybe we could get some pictures if anyone does find them.

·
19 Posts
I am running 38psi all around and have been for about a month. I "think" it feels a little softer, but it is pretty close to what is felt like at 42, it might be my imagination. Am going back to 42 in a few weeks to try to compare. Will track the efficiency when i bump them back up.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the manual shows 36psi for half load.
I actually feel like the car gets more bouncy, hobby-horse rocking like, as I lower the pressure. I've had the car for a month, it came with tires at 46psi. I lowered to 42, then 40, then 38, but I'm pretty sure the ride has gotten worse over time. I plan to work my way back up to 46psi to see if I'm imagining it.

·
19 Posts
Sorry for getting this late. Regarding suspension on ID4 ....to get good results with heavy EV there was needed to go with stiffer suspension that would have some effects what some people are reporting... there will be time to adjust operating quite more heavy EV for people who have driven only ICE and just moved to EV.
At this type of weight there is going to be hard to make suspension to work for majority of people.
Only solution would be from engineering standpoint going on air ride suspension and electric controlled shocks. But then this will increase overall cost for VW and for consumers. Now this type of suspension do have draw backs.
There is no perfect solution when dealing with weight of this type. Even Tesla model Y experience same issue because of not getting air ride suspension.
I'm not sure I buy this explanation. My other car is a Ford Flex which is nearly same weight as the ID.4. It has very low profile 20" tires. Cold tire pressure is 36psi on the door placard. I run 35. It rides better than the ID.4. On roads I drive every day where the ID.4 bounces, the Flex absorbs it all and you feel very little movement in the cabin.

I owned a Tesla Model S a few years ago, with air suspension, on the standard 19" wheels. It exhibited the same behavior as the ID.4. Same bouncy, hobby-horse rocking, on any surface that isn't perfectly smooth. The only difference I'd say is the Tesla was way harsher in addition to bouncy. The ID.4 is mostly comfortable except for excessive bouncing in the seat.

I've searched for ride quality on various forums and there are many cases across EVs (Tesla, Mach E, ID.4) of people describing very similar ride quality characteristics. I feel like there is something specific about EV design that causes this behavior. Perhaps the heavy battery running underneath makes suspension design difficult to get right.

·
167 Posts
I actually feel like the car gets more bouncy, hobby-horse rocking like, as I lower the pressure. I've had the car for a month, it came with tires at 46psi. I lowered to 42, then 40, then 38, but I'm pretty sure the ride has gotten worse over time. I plan to work my way back up to 46psi to see if I'm imagining it.
Please report back! I had the same 46psi at delivery and did the same thing you did. I'm running 38psi and am moderately happy. I can say that after 3,000 miles the car seems to do a little better. Not great, but better. I wonder if things are breaking in slowly. I'll admit I might be getting used to it too.

I'm not sure I buy this explanation.

I feel like there is something specific about EV design that causes this behavior. Perhaps the heavy battery running underneath makes suspension design difficult to get right.
I don't buy this, either. I, too, wonder if there's an EV engineering issue that will eventually get solved; my bet is the battery pack creates a really stiff box where there used to be a mildly flexible frame.

My best guess is that the engineering budget went to the EV side, and it was assumed that early adopters would accept a worse ride. Hopefully some dollars/Euros get spent on suspension engineering.

·
159 Posts
Please report back! I had the same 46psi at delivery and did the same thing you did. I'm running 38psi and am moderately happy. I can say that after 3,000 miles the car seems to do a little better. Not great, but better. I wonder if things are breaking in slowly. I'll admit I might be getting used to it too.

I don't buy this, either. I, too, wonder if there's an EV engineering issue that will eventually get solved; my bet is the battery pack creates a really stiff box where there used to be a mildly flexible frame.

My best guess is that the engineering budget went to the EV side, and it was assumed that early adopters would accept a worse ride. Hopefully some dollars/Euros get spent on suspension engineering.
...stiffness of the chassis is much higher than ICE chassis... there is no fine line with non adjustable suspension...some will like it and some will not be happy...Moving to better shocks will change how springs are working.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,547 Posts
Do you not trust VW Ambassador Tanner Foust (see linked video above) nor my accompanying related experience? ;)

Yes, a stiff chassis.
No, not a stiff suspension.
No, not a worse ride for my 20", in fact on par with my wife's [more expensive, but run flat tires] 18" GLA.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts