Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed acceleration is a lot smoother on D mode. I need to push harder on the pedal when in B mode. do you have similar experience?

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,452 Posts
I think that's intentional to serve as feedback to the driver – B mode acceleration feels "restrained," as if it's directly attached to the position of the accelerator pedal, whereas D is intended to feel "free" as if you're telling the car to Go! and it's going to keep going until the brake is pressed.

Mash the pedal in either mode though and they'll both go all-out.

You say "smoother," but this is in keeping with the general notion of one-pedal (VW's version of it, at least) in that B relies on the accelerator pedal as speed control in both directions (accel/decel), where D switches this pedal to Go! only.

You'll notice similar pedal tuning even more dramatically switching between Sport and Eco.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that's intentional to serve as feedback to the driver – B mode acceleration feels "restrained," as if it's directly attached to the position of the accelerator pedal, whereas D is intended to feel "free" as if you're telling the car to Go! and it's going to keep going until the brake is pressed.

Mash the pedal in either mode though and they'll both go all-out.

You say "smoother," but this is in keeping with the general notion of one-pedal (VW's version of it, at least) in that B relies on the accelerator pedal as speed control in both directions (accel/decel), where D switches this pedal to Go! only.

You'll notice similar pedal tuning even more dramatically switching between Sport and Eco.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. I feel the feedback on the B mode which is great But my feet feels a bit fatigued after a while trying to ACCELERATE in city traffic. I wonder if others have similar experience. I will try to customized it in setting for sport acceleration and eco for rest of it.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,947 Posts
Let's be reminded that 'D' mode is intentional to ease ICE compact CUV buyers to the BEV sector. I use it on the highway as more "free wheeling" but have to remind myself to lift off the accelerator when switching from 'B' mode as I enter the on-ramp. Conversely tho' when switching to 'B' again on the off-ramp it slows nicely and my foot is in the right place to further accelerate.

Yes, 'B' mode, which I use exclusively on secondary roads, does take a bit more acceleration finesse, but I especially like the more assured regen braking.

edit: in "accordion" highway traffic I remain in 'B' mode for that more assured braking assist, and may as well pick up some add'l regen. "Yunno, a little sumthin for the effort." ;)

·
348 Posts
We don't have our ID.4 yet, but I'm guessing it may rarely get out of "D" mode. Something about old dogs and new tricks. Especially if I have to retrain my foot and have the foot pay more attention to what it is doing ;)

Besides, it seems as if there is little or no benefit from switching? If I stop in "B" mode, taking the foot off the pedal will do regen. If I stop in "D" mode, putting the foot on the brake will do regen. Where's the difference?

Dave

Reactions: Frank

·
669 Posts
We don't have our ID.4 yet, but I'm guessing it may rarely get out of "D" mode. Something about old dogs and new tricks. Especially if I have to retrain my foot and have the foot pay more attention to what it is doing ;)

Besides, it seems as if there is little or no benefit from switching? If I stop in "B" mode, taking the foot off the pedal will do regen. If I stop in "D" mode, putting the foot on the brake will do regen. Where's the difference?

Dave
Remembering not to just coast. 😉

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,452 Posts
Where's the difference?
As you've outlined it, very little.

It mostly comes down to preference.

It seems some here make their passengers sick in B mode. That alone is worthy of sticking to D mode.

Technically D mode should be more efficient in highway driving. That's a good reason to stick to D mode.

But those of use who prefer B mode probably mostly fall into it for the convenience of single pedal driving.

You'll just have to try it and see for yourself. It's good we have both options (though I'd prefer a stronger B mode).

BTW my wife sucked at B mode in my i3 and didn't figure it out until she got the ID.4, now she's a convert.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let's be reminded that 'D' mode is intentional to ease ICE compact CUV buyers to the BEV sector. I use it on the highway as more "free wheeling" but have to remind myself to lift off the accelerator when switching from 'B' mode as I enter the on-ramp. Conversely tho' when switching to 'B' again on the off-ramp it slows nicely and my foot is in the right place to further accelerate.

Yes, 'B' mode, which I use exclusively on secondary roads, does take a bit more acceleration finesse, but I especially like the more assured regen braking.

edit: in "accordion" highway traffic I remain in 'B' mode for that more assured braking assist, and may as well pick up some add'l regen. "Yunno, a little sumthin for the effort." ;)
Agree. I much prefer B mode

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Dave
Feels like you’re much more in control of the car in B mode. Regardless of regen breaking preferenc.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting. I feel the feedback on the B mode which is great But my feet feels a bit fatigued after a while trying to ACCELERATE in city traffic. I wonder if others have similar experience. I will try to customized it in setting for sport acceleration and eco for rest of it.

·
339 Posts
The B mode reminds me a lot of a manual transmission car when you're in second or third gear and let up on or change the gas pedal position -- you get immediate feedback and speed change. Frankly, I enjoy that as it reminds me of the old days -- most the of cars I had from the late 1960s up to about 1990 were stick shifts, so I like using the B mode around town or on twisty roads when I'm not using cruise control.

·
769 Posts
Coasting will always be more efficient than regen for bringing the vehicle to a stop, but coasting to slow down (obviously) takes longer. Coasting will waste less kinetic energy of the moving car than using regen braking because it’s more efficient to use the existing kinetic energy to stay in motion as long as possible (only having to overcome the friction of the tires and air resistance) than to try and recapture that energy and reuse it, which loses some of that energy to heat. Regen is great for braking more quickly and has myriad advantages over friction brakes, which also slow the car quickly but convert the kinetic energy of the moving car only to waste heat. But regen is not more efficient than coasting.

VW’s D and B modes both use regen for braking. In D mode, pressing the brake pedal uses regen to slow the car except when slamming the brake pedal or at very slow speeds coming to a complete stop. B mode uses regen to slow the car when you lift your foot from the Go pedal. That’s the only difference as far as I understand it, though there may be some part of the “blended braking” process I don’t know about. In any event, in both cases, friction braking is hardly used.

·
2021 RWD Pro S, Galaxy White Metallic
65 Posts
I’m an outlier here I suppose, but I find efficiency in all driving conditions to be better in D mode. I also loath one pedal driving. People think they are better at pedal fitness than they are. When I ride in my friend’s Model Y I am constantly fighting nausea from the rocket launches and the abrupt stops. It’s like being in a car with a student driver.

I often use travel assist on highway driving here in Montana and regardless of D/B it regenerates a lot of SOC going down the mountains. McDonald Pass near Helena recharged about 25%. That was what turned my conservative family on to electric cars: “you got a quarter tank back just going downhill???”

1 - 20 of 73 Posts