Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
987 Posts
I rarely use D mode at all - Only on long freeway trips and when I hit the exit ramp and the car doesn't slow down like it should when I lift off the pedal, I quickly switch back to B mode and that's where it stays forever . . . . well, at least until the next long freeway trip

I've been driving EV's in max regen mode for 10 years now - Anything different just doesn't seem 'right'

But, to each his own - Just like in ICE's, we all drive quite differently and what works for one doesn't make it right for everyone . . .

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,513 Posts
People think they are better at pedal fitness than they are.
I think it's statements like these that cause this topic to constantly go off the rails. In other threads – and of those there have been plenty – some have speculated the ID.4 CAN'T be driven smoothly in B, which is simply untrue.

You cite rocket launches and the abrupt stops, neither of which is attributable to regenerative braking / one pedal driving, and everything to do with a heavy foot, a lack of finesse or concern, and is helped by an EV but certainty possible in ICE vehicles. Heck, those are both possible in the ID.4 in D mode.

·
987 Posts
I think it's statements like these that cause this topic to constantly go off the rails. In other threads – and of those there have been plenty – some have speculated the ID.4 CAN'T be driven smoothly in B, which is simply untrue.

You cite rocket launches and the abrupt stops, neither of which is attributable to regenerative braking / one pedal driving, and everything to do with a heavy foot, a lack of finesse or concern, and is helped by an EV but certainty possible in ICE vehicles. Heck, those are both possible in the ID.4 in D mode.
As is the case with most all of your posts, very well put!

I love being able to control nearly everything with one foot on one pedal, but I've come to the conclusion this isn't something most people can do. Me, it just comes so naturally that it requires no thought at all. I can see where it would be a real pain if you had to think about it every step of the way. Riding in my car is so smooth, largely because I never need to step on the brake pedal. I automatically lift very close to the point where regen brings me to a stop where I need, so there's very little fiddling with the throttle and what little is required is done so gently that my passengers never notice that weve gone many miles with no need for the brake pedal at all

Either it's 'your thing' or it's probably never gonna be . . .

·
843 Posts
I like to coast down steep hills and mountains in D and then keep switching back to B to slow down then release to D again after I am back under the speed limit. I “think” this is the preferred way to maximize regeneration for your battery under this type driving….

·
2021 RWD Pro S, Galaxy White Metallic
70 Posts

The driver is always responsible for how the car is driven, I don’t disagree with that. My friend could have put the Tesla in chill mode. I think most people - myself certainly included - are simply not used to the instant torque of an EV. Couple that with one pedal driving - another new technique - and you get a lot of sea sickness as a passenger. I only have experience with my ID4 but I personally like D mode better for smooth driving. It’s harder to mess it up as a driver. As with all technology, once a new generation of drivers grow up with mostly EVs, they will show the rest of us the best way to do lots of things with them.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,772 Posts
I like to coast down steep hills and mountains in D and then keep switching back to B to slow down then release to D again after I am back under the speed limit. I “think” this is the preferred way to maximize regeneration for your battery under this type driving….
We get fully a adjustable amouint of regen, and its up to 2x the regen of B mode by simply pressing the brake pedal partway, so this is my preferred way. Its maximized, and easier than switching to B and back to D so often as well. I switch to B if its a really long hill so I don't need any brake pedal.

·
3,513 Posts
As with all technology, once a new generation of drivers grow up with mostly EVs, they will show the rest of us the best way to do lots of things with them.
I think there will always be this debate. It seems to transcend age or even driving experience (specifically thinking manual transmissions experience).

Best solution is to continue to offer a selection of modes, because at least that offers the greatest "compatability" with the largest number of users.

·
987 Posts
Coasting will always be more efficient than regen for bringing the vehicle to a stop, but coasting to slow down (obviously) takes longer. Coasting will waste less kinetic energy of the moving car than using regen braking because it’s more efficient to use the existing kinetic energy to stay in motion as long as possible (only having to overcome the friction of the tires and air resistance) than to try and recapture that energy and reuse it, which loses some of that energy to heat.
That's also 100% true, of course. If only we could be the only car on the road everywhere we need to go, then coasting would get us all more miles from a full charge than any other mode I'm certain. It for sure doesn't work for me in traffic though and there's very few places where it does work for me in the real world where I drive, so switching away from B mode anywhere but on the freeway just doesn't work for me

·
789 Posts
That's also 100% true, of course. If only we could be the only car on the road everywhere we need to go, then coasting would get us all more miles from a full charge than any other mode I'm certain. It for sure doesn't work for me in traffic though and there's very few places where it does work for me in the real world where I drive, so switching away from B mode anywhere but on the freeway just doesn't work for me
Everyone’s driving situation is different as are preferences, and far be it from me to pass judgement on a personal preference. If one is going for top efficiency, though, some mix of coasting and regen is the most practical way to get there for many people, including me.

For me from an efficiency perspective, the big disadvantage of pure B mode (i.e. one-pedal driving) all the time is the inability to coast when possible and practical. This is one of many reasons I’d never consider a Tesla, where it’s all one-pedal all the time, no choice involved.

By the way, I see a bigger advantage in efficiency in D mode in my e-Golf than in my ID.4. The e-Golf is a champion coaster, but the ID.4 rarely seems to coast 100% freely with zero regen in D mode, that is, the green regen bar is often slightly showing regen even when “coasting” in D mode. In the e-Golf, in D mode when coasting it’s like being in Neutral.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,772 Posts
the ID.4 rarely seems to coast 100% freely with zero regen in D mode.
Did you try Eco? It coasts more freely than Comfort, and Sport uses more regen. I will run some tests someday with Car scanner which can show exactly how much the regen differs depending on mode.

·
789 Posts
Did you try Eco? It coasts more freely than Comfort, and Sport uses more regen. I will run some tests someday with Car scanner which can show exactly how much the regen differs depending on mode.
Hey - thanks for that tip. I didn’t realize that. I haven’t really played around with the driving modes that much. Do you happen to know what else other than regen is different in Eco mode?

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,772 Posts
Hey - thanks for that tip. I didn’t realize that. I haven’t really played around with the driving modes that much. Do you happen to know what else other than regen is different in Eco mode?
Here is a good summary:
Eco mode will reduce torque to Electric motor...and this will feel like you have lazy GO pedal...also when cruise control is engaged it will have much slower response to reach set speed limit.....
Comfort is like power on demand it will go automatically between eco torque and standard torque but less aggressive torque than what you feel with sport.
Sport is like we all know all settings tailored to fast response....full torque response and etc.
One thing to mention in ECO mode AC and heat will be in energy conservation mode around 30% less ramp up from what cabin control module is asking and what will Eco module allow for heating or cooling.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
760 Posts
I only have experience with my ID4 but I personally like D mode better for smooth driving. It’s harder to mess it up as a driver.
Funny, I find it easier to mess up in D. Every time I forget to double shift to go to B, I find myself missing my breaking point as the car doesn't slow down as expected. Thankfully, the first stop is at a quiet four-way stop sign half a block from my house and then I remember to put into B.

Reactions: Nai3t

·
361 Posts
Let's be reminded that 'D' mode is intentional to ease ICE compact CUV buyers to the BEV sector.
Having now put 12k miles on my car I'm not sure I believe this to be a transitional feature. I have over the course of many commuting trips on the same highways switched between D and B mode to see if one outperforms the other, and always had the expectation that B would eventually prove superior. Surprisingly, D has always been the winner. I have not once found B to be better than D in terms of range even when I manually switch between D and B mid drive to take advantage of downhill sections of highways. The best I've ever gotten was basically a tie.

I know there are many of you who will reject my notion that passengers widely prefer D mode over B since they don't sway back and forth like puppets hanging from strings! While it's not hard to compensate for B mode on open roads, driving in heavy traffic or dense urban areas means lots of unexpected deceleration and acceleration and the resultant head bobbing...and nauseated passengers.

I actually think VW has a better idea with the D mode. It's much more user friendly and pleasant for anyone riding in the car. And range-wise it's either equal or better than driving in B mode for me.

·
3,513 Posts
Surprisingly, D has always been the winner. I have not once found B to be better than D in terms of range
This has never been up for debate, AFAIK. Strictly from the perspective of maximizing range, particularly on highways, D is superior because converting energy unnecessarily (regen) is always inefficient. Coasting for minor speed adjustments wins.

Although I am curious, using ACC, is there a difference between modes?

Honestly (honestly) I try to change over to D on the highway / freeways, and as soon as I need so slow a little to flow with traffic I immediately hate it and charge back to B

But on the freeway I'm more often than not using ACC so doubt ultimately it makes an efficiency difference.

·
987 Posts
Having now put 12k miles on my car I'm not sure I believe this to be a transitional feature. I have over the course of many commuting trips on the same highways switched between D and B mode to see if one outperforms the other, and always had the expectation that B would eventually prove superior. Surprisingly, D has always been the winner. I have not once found B to be better than D in terms of range even when I manually switch between D and B mid drive to take advantage of downhill sections of highways. The best I've ever gotten was basically a tie.
On the highways there is little difference and no need to use B mode, even if driving on mountains - If you have the cruise control set, the car will regen on the downhill slopes the same in D as it does in B. I much prefer B (obviously) but even I cannot find any advantage to it on the highways

I know there are many of you who will reject my notion that passengers widely prefer D mode over B since they don't sway back and forth like puppets hanging from strings! While it's not hard to compensate for B mode on open roads, driving in heavy traffic or dense urban areas means lots of unexpected deceleration and acceleration and the resultant head bobbing...and nauseated passengers.
In city driving and stop and go traffic is where B mode really shines. You can stay with the flow of traffic smoothly and never need to touch the brake pedal, once you get the hang of it - When done properly (which it's becoming very evident that not everyone can do) it's just as smooth in B as it is in D and easier (for some of us) to do because there's only one pedal to mess with. I've come to the conclusion that it's something you either have a knack for, or you don't . . . . and, I believe that's largely a factor of what you've been driving for the past many years

I actually think VW has a better idea with the D mode. It's much more user friendly and pleasant for anyone riding in the car. And range-wise it's either equal or better than driving in B mode for me.
D mode is always going to be easier to use and more natural for anyone who has exclusively driven ICE's with automatic transmissions, because that's what D mode is designed to emulate - They've gotta include a mode which makes driving this very different EV as close as possible to the cars you came from, or people aren't gonna like EV's . . . . period!

If on the other hand, you've exclusively driven manual transmission cars and going 100 to 150K on a set of brake pads is more or less normal for you, then you will probably adapt to using B mode much more quickly . . . . and you'll probably prefer it - You're already not used to doing too much with the brake pedal and engine braking has been something you've done very naturally for many, many years, whereas engine braking with automatic transmissions is pretty much non-existent

21 - 40 of 73 Posts