Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inside EV has just reported on a Ford document saying that the 3-yr lease residual on the Mach e will be 39%. That's in the same ballpark as BMW i3 leases were, before BMW discontinued offering leases on the i3. These seem to be real world numbers and the only way they will improve is if a Manufacturer artificially inflates the residual, as BMW did for the first two years of the i3. It could be that actual resale will be higher in 3 years, as EV's become more common and the average person considers purchasing one. But, if you are an early adopter of an EV, it has to be for some reason other than financial sense unless you are contemplating keeping it for a bunch of years.

·
67 Posts
Wow, that is certainly low. It looks like VW residuals will be set higher initially based on what we have seen. If the VW residuals were set at 39%, it would be very expensive to lease. The lease payments will be high enough with residuals in the mid-40's or so. VW is out to prove that the future is EV as they will transition most cars to EV over the next 10 years. If you purchase, it should be a long tern decision. I agree that your decision to be en early adopter for EV cannot be based on financials.

·
10 Posts
VW gives the lease payment and details on the reservation site. Plugging in the numbers in to Leashacker suggests that the residual for the base model is 45.5% after three years at 10,000 miles per year. I have a 1st edition reservation, and I remember being able to see the same information for it, but now that my order is locked I can't access that page any more (it was under "Edit my configuration). I would expect the residual to be within a percent, though.

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the residual for a base Tiguan? That should be a pretty good stalking horse for a vehicle that VW doesn't see any need to do a fudge factor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts