Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2022 ID.4 Pro S AWD (Dusk Blue on Lunar Grey)
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
2021 White ID.4 Pro S AWD
77 Posts
Just read a similar article. Makes me think about how to get solar going at my house to charge my EV and not rely on the grid or losing the ability to night charge. Could probably do a lot during the day straight from the panels since our car is in the garage most of the time anyway. Maybe even get away with a modest solar without batteries. Not sure if it is possible though.

·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just read a similar article. Makes me think about how to get solar going at my house to charge my EV and not rely on the grid or losing the ability to night charge. Could probably do a lot during the day straight from the panels since our car is in the garage most of the time anyway. Maybe even get away with a modest solar without batteries. Not sure if it is possible though.
I'd love to have a solar/battery setup, but the property to our south has large trees (100ft+) that shade our roof.
Even solar only would be nice - we have net metering.

·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It makes sense, charging when the sun is up but it's still cool out, it's just not practical for most people who work a 9 to 5. Not yet, anyway.
Yeah. If I understand the article correctly, as EV adoption increases, solar and wind generation could also increase and they are big daytime producers.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,640 Posts
Yeah. If I understand the article correctly, as EV adoption increases, solar and wind generation could also increase and they are big daytime producers.
A guy at work was just asking about EVs (there are a half-dozen of us driving EVs in our small group, and more in the broader organization; his wife's Kia was recently stolen). His family lives in an apartment and so naturally he's asking about charging, and he looks to our free charging at work as a solution. But that's mostly at 120 volts -- it's a crapshoot to get a spot on the two L2 boxes we have in the employee lot. 120 @ 8 hours a day would probably be fine for him, but there's not a lot of security living at the whim of the parking spot goddess. But our employer has a large solar panel installation and it would certainly be to everyone's advantage to take some of that rather than rely on non-renewable generation methods in the middle of the night.

·
1,756 Posts
I miss the solar panels on top like those expensive supercars my tax dollars produced a few years back had. Efficiency(or practicality😂) wasn’t in their plans though but maybe in the not too distant future they would help a lot?

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,380 Posts
I miss the solar panels on top like those expensive supercars my tax dollars produced a few years back had. Efficiency(or practicality😂) wasn’t in their plans though but maybe in the not too distant future they would help a lot?
Not really, if you cover the entire roof and hood of the ID.4 with the best efficiency, most expensive PV, you will gain about 4 miles of range per day if you park it in a very good solar area like CO or the desert SW.

·
170 Posts
Ioniq 5 I think has a PV roof option in parts of the world where Hyundai claimed it would recoup about 1200 miles per year. So not far off SunWizard's numbers.

·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back in the 90's there were some Audi's offered (and maybe others) with a PV sunroof that was used to ventilate the cabin - which seems ideal to me.
Sun is out, cabin is hot, fan runs.

·
AWD Pro S, Dusk Blue - Purchased 10/11/2021
91 Posts
Just had a 12.7 Kw solar array installed this past July. I love it. We have net metering here in Maine so I get credits for any excess electricity I generate in the summer to use in the winter. I have estimated the electricity generated by our solar panels will cover about 85% of our annual electricity needs. We use heat pumps, have a outside hot tub and of course charge our ID.4 along with other normal use. Right now I consider Central Maine Power is my "battery", but might consider installing power wall type battery storage in the future once prices drop a bit. Battery storage would allow EV charging around the clock as well as providing electricity during power outages.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts