Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried multiple EA stations now at varying levels of battery %. I've been under 20% and as high as 38% and the max charge I am pulling is 55kw. I have been attempting this after a good hour or more of highway driving thinking it might be cold gating. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there potentially a BMS issue? I'll be taking this car in to the dealer in December for one of the open TSBs (washer heater) so I wanted to ask them about this but wanted to know what to ask for.

·
Proud FE Owner with AWD Kings red ordered
16 Posts
I saw another thread talking about EA doing firmware updates to the stations and then this is happening. I believe they were talking the Chicago area. Where are you located? I had 55Kw charging a few weeks ago and called EA about it. The lady rebooted the pumps but it didn’t change anything, so she put in a ticket. I went back a few days later and was back to 125Kw. I’m in Denver.

·
543 Posts
It was 35 kW when I topped off from a 40% starting point this afternoon. A Bolt on another EVSE at the same time posted “slow” on PlugShare. And those were the 2 that were working.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in the Seattle area. Maybe it's that but it's been 3 weeks. I've noted a Mach E reported 145kw a couple days before I tried one of the chargers so I'm really not sure...

·
543 Posts
The 35 kW one that I used was the second one that I tried. The one the Bolt was using was actually listed on the app as not working. That leaves the combo station which I avoid for sake of any Leafs. One thing that I have noticed is that the cables don’t have to be cooled at 35kW. Maybe all of the necessary parts are stuck on one of the hundreds of ships that can’t get unloaded in California.

·
5 Posts
My guess is the cold temperature… I just got my Id.4 and went to an EA outside of Seattle on Sunday am. I consistently got 100 kw+ and I was super impressed with the speed. I went from 8% to 90% in around 40 mins.

Fast forward to tonight. I went back to the same EA station and the first unit was giving me 35 kWh. Switched to the unit I used last time and still maxedout around 57 kWh. Very frustrating. I got rid of my ipace because of the slow level 3 charging (50 kWh was lightening fast for the ipace…). This kink needs to get worked out.

·
129 Posts
I'm in the Seattle area. Maybe it's that but it's been 3 weeks. I've noted a Mach E reported 145kw a couple days before I tried one of the chargers so I'm really not sure...
I’m the guy that posted about an EA tech doing updates and crippling chargers to 50 kWh. I can say that the chargers in Tukwila, Georgetown, Bellevue, and Covington were affected. 🤬

·
76 Posts
I've tried multiple EA stations now at varying levels of battery %. I've been under 20% and as high as 38% and the max charge I am pulling is 55kw. I have been attempting this after a good hour or more of highway driving thinking it might be cold gating. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there potentially a BMS issue? I'll be taking this car in to the dealer in December for one of the open TSBs (washer heater) so I wanted to ask them about this but wanted to know what to ask for.
I have had this issue as well. Multiple different chargers in multiple different locations in multiple states. All get around 55kwh and won't go higher. The other thing I have noticed is that it normally says "charging speed requested by your vehicle" in the bottom left of the screen- it has not recently and I have done a lot of traveling recently

·
ID4:1E - Blue Dusk Metallic
245 Posts
I can see it on the app with the phone which charging locations have been "nerfed." Turn on the filter for Minimum Charger Power (kW) & set it to 150. Poof! I see stations in IL, OH, IN, TN, AL & WA disappear. You would think that Electrify America would have learned their lesson of initiating a software update prior to a major holiday weekend (& not say anything about it). Kinda like last year when the I-95 corridor was entirely offline due to a code issue for an update.

·
966 Posts
Here is some new data posted by @VW TECHNICIAN I wish VW had a battery temp display available since this will be a limit for most of us in the Northern half of the US. It may make more people get a dongle to see this. Translated to F:

At 54F (12°C) battery it will max out 65Kw
63F (17°C) it will go up to 100+Kw
68F (20°C) will deliver max output if EA is actually capable delivering rated power on the box
I will want to do some battery heating by driving it hard before DCFC, since the PTC battery heater stops heating at 46F and I would want at least 63F. It could partially explain the many complaints of slow DCFC lately.

Reactions: NeoFrank and tchop

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,227 Posts
I can see it on the app with the phone which charging locations have been "nerfed." Turn on the filter for Minimum Charger Power (kW) & set it to 150. Poof! I see stations in IL, OH, IN, TN, AL & WA disappear. You would think that Electrify America would have learned their lesson of initiating a software update prior to a major holiday weekend (& not say anything about it). Kinda like last year when the I-95 corridor was entirely offline due to a code issue for an update.
I noticed the same thing in the mobile app. No explanation at all for what they are doing. Is this a workaround for some other problem? Part of a planned upgrade? No word. There communications team seems rather useless. The busiest corridors are east/west coast - so far this nerfing has only been in the midwest, but is this going to expand? Nobody knows.

At least one can still get 50kW, which isn't great, but if you can get a charge of some sort you can go on your way. But we are in the busiest travel day of the year, and I can only wonder what we will see by the end of the day.

As for myself, we are going to my sister-in-laws, and we can get there and back without stopping to charge.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I will want to do some battery heating by driving it hard before DCFC, since the PTC battery heater stops heating at 46F and I would want at least 63F. It could partially explain the many complaints of slow DCFC lately.
That's exactly the strategy I used when i had the Kona - charge right after driving, and not waiting for the battery to cool down. And that tends to be towards the end of the day when ambient temperatures are warmer, which also helps. If you want a truly horrible charging experience, let the battery cool down overnight and try charging 1st thing in the morning.

In my case, it was about a 3 hour drive from Delware back to DC - that was sufficient to warm the battery so it could accept a higher charge.

Yesterday I had my car on the L2 - the car was in the garage, and EVnotify said the battery temperature was 9 degrees C. After about 2 hours I needed to unplug and go out - the batteries had warmed to 13C.

·
543 Posts
In my case the app itself said that the chargers had been neutered to 50kW. I probably had a cool battery and got 35kW but the neighboring Bolt (normally a slow charger) had Washington state plates. She was hooked to a 350 and posted on PlugShare “slow”.
The temperature was in the upper 60’s. PlugShare revues were all saying the same thing for at least a week when it was generally in the 70’s . The station is right next to I10 and few cars were local.

·
1 Posts
Here is some new data posted by @VW TECHNICIAN I wish VW had a battery temp display available since this will be a limit for most of us in the Northern half of the US. It may make more people get a dongle to see this. Translated to F:

Do you know if there are limiters for high temps as well? I live in AZ, and I've never gotten higher than 37KW at any EA station.

·
ID4:1E - Blue Dusk Metallic
245 Posts
I noticed the same thing in the mobile app. No explanation at all for what they are doing. Is this a workaround for some other problem? Part of a planned upgrade? No word. There communications team seems rather useless. The busiest corridors are east/west coast - so far this nerfing has only been in the midwest, but is this going to expand? Nobody knows.

At least one can still get 50kW, which isn't great, but if you can get a charge of some sort you can go on your way. But we are in the busiest travel day of the year, and I can only wonder what we will see by the end of the day.

As for myself, we are going to my sister-in-laws, and we can get there and back without stopping to charge.
True on "at least one can still get 50kW", however the string from OH down to TN ( for me, on a route to TX), I was charting & would be needing to deep cycle back to back from Cleveland to Nashville. Anticipating a 45 charge time benefitting from that max 125kW up to that 34% point & then still having 100kW at 50%. To then see 50kW max & it then output some lame 38-44kW. Basically if I were paying for the service, I'd be ripped as a brick $h!#house & feel very price gouged to fill that 77kW pack. It would double my charge time & if paying by time? An alternative route entirely would need to be considered with unnecessary miles accumulated. As well as a competitors charging services...

It too is a moot point. I'm staying home & have enough food in the house til Monday.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition / Dusk Blue
150 Posts

I seem to recall that one method for preheating the battery was to put a charging location into the navigation system. If that’s true, I wonder if it heats to a higher temperature than 46F? Of course, using the VW navigation system is a pain, it would be great If there were a manual method for pre-heating the battery.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I seem to recall that one method for preheating the battery was to put a charging location into the navigation system. If that’s true, I wonder if it heats to a higher temperature than 46F? Of course, using the VW navigation system is a pain, it would be great If there were a manual method for pre-heating the battery.
I recall that too, but I don't recall any discussion as to whether this was implemented correctly or not. I am temped to try this, but our garage is currently 58 degrees, so the car didn't get cold enough last night.. I think I would need to leave the car outdoors overnight to get the thing down to a temperature where we might learn something.

Edit: just checked - according to EVnotify, the battery temp is currently 12C, or 53F. I think i am going to try and navigate anyways and see whether any sort of battery heating starts to take place.

The builtin navi can be a pain sometimes, but if you have a carefully curated list of favorites, it saves you the trouble of reentering addresses.

Edit2: Nope - nothing. Nearest DCFC is 25 miles away, and with the battery at 12/13C, the heater doesn't come on. I don't know what it would get to if I were to drive there - it would warm up some, but probably not a lot.

·
966 Posts
I seem to recall that one method for preheating the battery was to put a charging location into the navigation system.
They have this in EU models, but not in US according to @VW TECHNICIAN. Its another thing we can hope to get in the 3.0 update someday.

·
162 Posts
I have had this issue as well. Multiple different chargers in multiple different locations in multiple states. All get around 55kwh and won't go higher. The other thing I have noticed is that it normally says "charging speed requested by your vehicle" in the bottom left of the screen- it has not recently and I have done a lot of traveling recently
Yes i agree charging also capped out for me at 60kWh at 40%. Not good and also the 'requested charging...' is not showing anymore

1 - 20 of 45 Posts