Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

Battery temp and environment temp are not going to be the same if there is big swing between night and day time...to gain max output from DC charger you will need to be around 22% SOC or less and close to 20掳C with battery temperature...starting from 36% SOC is bad choice for getting max DC charging speed. And there is also a lot of EA charging ports capable doing max 50 kw output...i have personally experienced across I80 ...I90...I70 going from east coast to west and back on journey 2800+ miles each way. Around this time of year best way is to keep destination for next charging within 140 miles and battery will always be at sweet spot for next charging.

Battery temp and environment temp are not going to be the same if there is big swing between night and day time...to gain max output from DC charger you will need to be around 22% SOC or less and close to 20掳C with battery temperature...starting from 36% SOC is bad choice for getting max DC charging speed. And there is also a lot of EA charging ports capable doing max 50 kw output...i have personally experienced across I80 ...I90...I70 going from east coast to west and back on journey 2800+ miles each way. Around this time of year best way is to keep destination for next charging within 140 miles and battery will always be at sweet spot for next charging.
Yes these are all valid points. I use this charger frequently and at 35% It should still be in the nineties i think. Other option would be VW tells me why it is lower on the Info system. They shod know best. Why let the user be puzzled about all these things. Not really my job. The forum is full of people being puzzled. VW could even display the charging graph. The charge time estimator in the car is typically off too. Why? Also not sure why EA does not display requested power anymore. None of these things makes our life easier. And it could be easily fixed.
So where can i find the charging curves for different battery temperatures?

id.4 White FE
I experienced this same slow 55kw charging about 2 weeks ago on 2 different days at Ooltewa TN which is a few miles from the Chattanooga factory. Couple of vw employees were there in id4 with manufacturers tag. They were new to charging and didn鈥檛 realize the slow charge problem, one had German accent. Said they were headed to the SKI battery plant near Atlanta where VW battery packs are built using LG lithium cells.

I experienced this same slow 55kw charging about 2 weeks ago on 2 different days at Ooltewa TN which is a few miles from the Chattanooga factory. Couple of vw employees were there in id4 with manufacturers tag. They were new to charging and didn鈥檛 realize the slow charge problem, one had German accent. Said they were headed to the SKI battery plant near Atlanta where VW battery packs are built using LG lithium cells.
hope you got their contact info :) always good to have friends in the right places.
so you think it was the station or the car?

QUOTE="Erhard, post: 63478, member: 2865"]
Yes these are all valid points. I use this charger frequently and at 35% It should still be in the nineties i think. Other option would be VW tells me why it is lower on the Info system. They shod know best. Why let the user be puzzled about all these things. Not really my job. The forum is full of people being puzzled. VW could even display the charging graph. The charge time estimator in the car is typically off too. Why? Also not sure why EA does not display requested power anymore. None of these things makes our life easier. And it could be easily fixed.
So where can i find the charging curves for different battery temperatures?
[/QUOTE]
With appropriate obd2 tools you can see all of that you need....
For as long infotainment screen doesn't have telemetry screen it will be hard to pinpoint.

Are u saying the obd2 tool tells me WHY the charge Current low?
I have the car scanner app running
I'm not aware of car scanner app that has all necessary pids to look at charging port module.....obdeleven or VW ODIS are minimum to see this information.
Ross-Tech.com...i didn't try but I'm quite positive it has this ability
Good luck.

[QUOTE="Erhard, post: 63512, member: 2865"
Are u saying the obd2 tool tells me WHY the charge Current low?
I have the car scanner app running
[/QUOTE]
If your battery temp is <63F then it does give you the answer why its slow. What was your battery temp when you had the 55kw rate? I consider it a large bug that I hope they fix soon that the battery heater stops at 46F yet we get slowed DCFC until >63F.

Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
If your battery temp is <63F then it does give you the answer why its slow. What was your battery temp when you had the 55kw rate? I consider it a large bug that I hope they fix soon that the battery heater stops at 46F yet we get slowed DCFC until >63F.
Having EVnotify is useful in that it tells you the pack temperature. If nothing else, it gives you insight as to why your charging might be slow.

The most likely fix is if you navigate to a charging station, that it will warm the pack further. But even without this, a long drive will also warm the pack, and EVnotify will give you insight as to how that process works for you, and how far you need to drive to get the pack temperature high enough.

Whatever you do, avoid DCFC 1st thing in the morning when the pack is coldest.

Premium Member
I had just driven 180 hiway miles & 21% soc on first stop, 120m @ 43% on second stop, so bpack should have been warmed up - right?
I would have thought, but without knowing the ambient and pack temps, I can't say much more.

When we drive home tonight, I can check and see how much warming we get after a 70 mile drive. My experience is based more on how things worked with the Kona, so ID4 might be a little different.

Premium Member
I had just driven 180 hiway miles & 21% soc on first stop, 120m @ 43% on second stop, so bpack should have been warmed up - right?
I would add that another variable is that EA has been derating some chargers to 50kW. Mostly in Midwest, but TN also has some derated chargers.. No idea why. But thats another variable, and worth checking.
The EA app shows the max change rates for each charger. You can check your receipts and see if you happened to be at a nerfed charger.

I would add that another variable is that EA has been derating some chargers to 50kW. Mostly in Midwest, but TN also has some derated chargers.. No idea why. But thats another variable, and worth checking.
The EA app shows the max change rates for each charger. You can check your receipts and see if you happened to be at a nerfed charger.
I have run through Midwest on this locations and only one of all boxes where stickers advertised speed...others where 50 kw crippled.

I drove 95 miles yesterday to a Thanksgiving dinner in Albany, NY. The temp was 33掳F when we left and 39掳F when we arrived. I preheated before leaving did the whole Berkshires hill climbing thing en route so I thought the battery would be adequately warmed by arrival. I stopped at an EA station in Albany and got...you guessed it...55 kw charging speed at 27% SOC.

I drove 95 miles yesterday to a Thanksgiving dinner in Albany, NY. The temp was 33掳F when we left and 39掳F when we arrived. I preheated before leaving did the whole Berkshires hill climbing thing en route so I thought the battery would be adequately warmed by arrival. I stopped at an EA station in Albany and got...you guessed it...55 kw charging speed at 27% SOC.
You have to bring battery down 22% SOC or less.
Your battery was probably between 9-12掳C when you plugged in...my guess without battery pack temperature info.

I have had this problem with the max speeds being 55kw, this is not a battery not being warm enough issue. This is an EA issue specific to ID.4 I've seen other EV's getting their normal speeds, and every ID.4 I've seen in the Chicago area is reporting the same thing, on all the EA chargers they have tried. As others noted, the drop in max speed correlates with the "speed vehicle is requesting" notification is missing. So EA pushed out some sort of update that broke the communication link with the ID.4. As others have said, at least I'm getting 1/2 the expected speed, but this is totally unacceptable. I and others have reported this to EA, and all received the same response...the units are working fine.

I've owned other EV's and yes the battery temp does play a role, but not this bad, and not at moderate temps (>32f out) And when this first started, it was still in the 70's out.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts