Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I drive a Bolt, and one of its big limitations is DCFC speed when the pack is cold: the pack only reaches full charge speed above 75F (24C), and if the pack is 55F (13C), it charges at only about half of peak rate. Also, below freezing, the pack actually cools as you drive, even at 75mph/110kmh. So on a 15F (-9C) road-trip, every DCFC stop begins at half-speed.

So I'd really like to know how the id.4 charges when cold, before finalizing my order. For example, if you stayed at a friend's apartment overnight, and your ID was parked outside at 20F, and now you're going to hit the DCFC on the way out of town... how fast can the ID charge?

And if you drive for 100 miles to the next EA charger, then has the pack cooled too much to start charging at full speed?

Since very few people had an id.4 during this past winter, maybe I need to ask id.3 drivers? I found this video
...which seems to say that an id.3 has no pack preheat. So that could be pretty bad. But then, he did some speedup/slowdown to warm his pack and got 100kw, which is great.

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
189 Posts
My own tests:

70 kw with a cold battery and 20% SOC with ~35 F
100 kw with semi-cold and 20% SOC 2 hours driving with 100 kph/60 mph drive with ~35 F
125 kw instantly when battery is warm >120 kph /75 mph and <10% with ~45 F

Aka.. drive abit quicker or keep jojo-ing speed/braking to warm the battery up just before charging.
Also takes around 10 minutes to heat the battery up form a dead cold start. or set a leave timer and the battery will be warmed up just before leaving ;)

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
takes around 10 minutes to heat the battery up form a dead cold start. or set a leave timer and the battery will be warmed up just before leaving
So the id.4 will heat the pack when preheating on the departure timer, and also when being driven? In the youtube video above, Kris Rifa (03:00) says that the id.3 "does not have preheating, either manual or automatic", so I wondered if it just never heated the pack.

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
189 Posts
Preheating to the charger yes, it doesnt have it. But if the car charges, even with 11kw, it wont be perfectly warm. just warmer then a cold start so the high consumptions on a shorter stretch will be abit lower. not perfect, but its fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts