Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st, Dusk Blue
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an FE on order but in frustration with the full price plus dealer fees I took a look around the country to see if I could score an FE for less than MSRP or at least with no dealer fees. Batting 000 for now. Every dealer says it’s not really for sale, just a demo, and tells me to reserve one online. Plus they all seem to have processing fees, document fees, or dealer fees (above and beyond the required TTL). I would think this would be illegal as a bait and switch tactic. Any of you find and successfully purchase for MSRP or less AND with no dealer/processing/document fees?

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
396 Posts
I’ve bought 20 from various dealers and all had dealer fees of some sort (usually doc fees). If you find a deal where they’re not charging them, chances are they covered them somewhere else (e.g., a bit less for trade-in, or a bit less of a discount on the new car). But with ID.4’s going for MSRP I suspect there’ll be no negotiating right now of dealer fees and such.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
When I got home after getting mine I quickly did a search online and saw a few listed about $3K less than MSRP and started feeling some sort of way. Then I clicked on them all and they popped up "$50K!" and then remembered the way I was feeling was just VW's way of mistreating/misleading the public.

There's no bait and switch though because there was no "switch."

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
898 Posts
The only surefire way to eliminate the doc fee is negotiate an out-the-door price before-hand, specifically mentioning "all fees." In California doc fees are tolerable because they're capped at $85. But these other numbers I'm seeing, sheesh, that's an expensive secretary filing their paperwork!

·
397 Posts
There is sort of a scam going around on Auto Trader listings for the ID4. There are several dealers listing the ID4 below MSRP on Auto Trader, but when contacting that dealer through their web page they either do not address your inquiry about the specific advertised vehicle or they do not even reply. It seems basically a scheme to get your phone number or your email so they can bug you forever. The VW dealer I ordered my ID4 from has only one fee, a documentation fee of $128. I plan on negotiating that down since VW will have had $500 of my funds for a while and the fact that the dealer is not offering any incentives.

·
267 Posts
i saw this via a cars.com listing where one was ”advertised” for 40,833. I went to the dealer’s website which advertised msrp but could get the 40,833 price by going through their “buy online” function. I called the dealer about this price as I had a hard time believing it. The guy said something about a 3rd party managing their website and that’s it’s inaccurate information and the car shown is their demo car. He said that I’d have to place a reservation through VW and everything is sold at msrp.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
i saw this via a cars.com listing where one was ”advertised” for 40,833. I went to the dealer’s website which advertised msrp but could get the 40,833 price by going through their “buy online” function. I called the dealer about this price as I had a hard time believing it. The guy said something about a 3rd party managing their website and that’s it’s inaccurate information and the car shown is their demo car. He said that I’d have to place a reservation through VW and everything is sold at msrp.
Cars.com is also where I was seeing the ones I was referring to. Kind of a weird statement, but at least they're willing to sell them at MSRP :D

·
267 Posts
There is sort of a scam going around on Auto Trader listings for the ID4. There are several dealers listing the ID4 below MSRP on Auto Trader, but when contacting that dealer through their web page they either do not address your inquiry about the specific advertised vehicle or they do not even reply. It seems basically a scheme to get your phone number or your email so they can bug you forever. The VW dealer I ordered my ID4 from has only one fee, a documentation fee of $128. I plan on negotiating that down since VW will have had $500 of my funds for a while and the fact that the dealer is not offering any incentives.
That’s pretty decent. Who’s your dealer?

·
898 Posts
There is sort of a scam going around on Auto Trader...

I don't know about a "scam", but I suspect you're correct about collecting contact info. The dealer I eventually purchased from listed 2 on CarGurus but told! me they were both reserved, and sensing they were wasting my time, I hung up.

I began contacting dealers closer to me telling them I was looking for MSRP, and built my own contact list, and started texting those sales reps every other day or so. Those who had one wanted markups.

Two weeks in, on a whim, I cold-called that first dealership, where now a third ID.4 was listed. Two were spoken for, but he'd sell me the third at sticker.

So even though I was down in them for their deceptive listings, two weeks later I was singing a new tune.

·
26 Posts
Nice ... where exactly are these coming up for sale or currently being delivered? i feel like the southwest region (TX is where i'm at) has only demo units and no sales yet, atleast not that i've heard of or seen anywhere around town after talking to some dealerships.

·
14 Posts
My own FE pre-order was listed online (through Capital One's Auto Trader search) and on my dealer's site soon after the boat hit the dock. It was marked as "Sold" in the dealer lot when I went to test drive it. I think as soon as these cars enter whatever system dealers use it probably automatically gets posted through listing software or similar. Mine was listed at $45,190 or MSRP + destination.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
187 Posts
I have posted this before. There are 4 things that are non-negotiable , TTL (tax, title and license) and Destination Charge because they are government mandated. Anything else can be negotiated.

When I went to dealer to buy an FE that someone decided not to buy, I was fully expecting to pay no less than MSRP plus TTL and Destination Charges. Any other fees, I politely asked to remove from the MSRP. ...and guess what? It worked. I even asked to get the Monster mats and cargo liner for free (an extra $200.00). All in all, saved $1K off the MSRP. I know is not Earth chattering, but any money I kept from spending on the car is money I kept. I also had 20% down payment which I did not reveal until I had the out to door price in writing.

When I was at the Finance Office, I was offered GAP, Extended Warranties, etc. I told the Finance person, "I'll take it, if you take it off the MSRP". I didn't take any Extended Warranty, cause they are a waste of money in my opinion and GAP is offered through my Auto Insurance anyway.

Another tip, get pre-qualified BEFORE you step in the dealership. Get even prequalified with VW Credit. Don't tell them you have been pre-qualified. KNOW your pre-qualified interest rate. Concentrate on the MSRP and don't fall into the "How much are looking to pay per month trap".

When I got the loan document, I made sure that the amount financed matched the out to door price minus the down payment. There are a whole slew of Youtube videos you can watch before you see the sales rep.

These are the ones I followed:

·
898 Posts
Not to mention when you walk into the dealership prepared like Javi, they realize you're not there to be taken advantage of and ease off the hard sell and other wear 'em down BS tactics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts