Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to compare cars I thought I would check out the Toyota RAV4 prime. It’s the plug in hybrid version and on specifications seemed pretty good. Just got back from my local Toyota dealer and they told me that all of the dealers are adding a $10,000 premium for the RAV4 prime because it is a "hot " car. That made it over $51,000 plus's tax which is more than the Tesla model Y. And the ID4. Hopefully we will not experience this sort of thing with VW . Toyota not only lost a sale for that specific car but that brand. i Think it is foolish to add a markup as a hot car today is a junk yard bargain tomorrow.

·
ID.4 FE GW
177 Posts
I'll never buy a Toyota again given my service experience with my 2013 RAV4EV. Toyota and some dealers treat you like a criminal for having that car, and they try to brush off its many reliability problem's as Tesla's fault. It says Toyota on the car though, and they covered up almost all mention of Tesla. Got a failed charger? Better take all non-factory additions off before they'll consider honoring their warranty. The dealer where I bought my car was totally incapable of diagnosing its problems (didn't even know how to charge it), but there are 2 in the greater San Francisco Bay Area who are reasonable. It's Toyota who has made owning this car difficult. They obviously hate EVs but are OK with the RAV4 prime because it still has an ICE and associated parts to break.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
530 Posts
trying to compare cars I thought I would check out the Toyota RAV4 prime. It’s the plug in hybrid version and on specifications seemed pretty good. Just got back from my local Toyota dealer and they told me that all of the dealers are adding a $10,000 premium for the RAV4 prime because it is a "hot " car. That made it over $51,000 plus's tax which is more than the Tesla model Y. And the ID4. Hopefully we will not experience this sort of thing with VW . Toyota not only lost a sale for that specific car but that brand. i Think it is foolish to add a markup as a hot car today is a junk yard bargain tomorrow.
From various people that spoke with dealers, it appears that none are planning to add any "dealer markups" (at least on any reserved vehicle). My uneducated guess is that VW is putting pressure on the dealers to not add any mark-up to MSRP. Just don't expect to pay below MSRP either.

·
136 Posts
From various people that spoke with dealers, it appears that none are planning to add any "dealer markups" (at least on any reserved vehicle). My uneducated guess is that VW is putting pressure on the dealers to not add any mark-up to MSRP. Just don't expect to pay below MSRP either.
I'm expecting to pay MSRP minus $500 reservation, plus (TTL) tax, title and license. Dealer fees, doc fees (other than TTL) they can deduct from the price of the car. I'm not paying for junk fees.

ID.4 Pro S AWD (Statement) $48,175.00
Destination Charge $ 1,195.00
Minus
Reservation Fee $ 500.00
Dealer Fee $ 700.00
Doc Fee $ 200.00
Total $47,973.00
Plus
Tag + Title $ 200.00
Tax 7.5% $ 3,613.12
Out the door $51,786.12

·
530 Posts
I'm expecting to pay MSRP minus $500 reservation, plus (TTL) tax, title and license. Dealer fees, doc fees (other than TTL) they can deduct from the price of the car. I'm not paying for junk fees.

ID.4 Pro S AWD (Statement)$48,175.00
Destination Charge$ 1,195.00
Minus
Reservation Fee$ 500.00
Dealer Fee$ 700.00
Doc Fee$ 200.00
Total$47,973.00
Plus
Tag + Title$ 200.00
Tax 7.5%$ 3,613.12
Out the door$51,786.12
Are dealer & doc fees included in the MSRP? In CA, they are in addition to MSRP (but also limited to $85). Vehicle License & Registration Fees are considerably higher (but a State fee and not to the dealer). For L.A.:

Current Registration:61.00
Current California Highway Patrol:28.00
Current Vehicle License Fee:320.00
Current County Service Authority for Freeway Emergencies Fee:1.00
Current Fingerprint ID Fee:1.00
Current Air Quality Management District:6.00
Current South Coast Air Basin:1.00
Alt Fuel/Tech Reg Fee:3.00
Current Vehicle Theft/DUI 2:2.00
Current Transportation Improvement Fee:165.00
Use/Sales Tax:4,690.00
Reflectorized License Plate Fee:1.00

Total Registration Fees:$589.00
Total Use/Sales Tax:$4,690.00
Grand Total Registration Fees:$5,279.00

Reactions: Melodiacoffee

·
162 Posts
Are dealer & doc fees included in the MSRP? In CA, they are in addition to MSRP (but also limited to $85). Vehicle License & Registration Fees are considerably higher (but a State fee and not to the dealer). For L.A.:

Current Registration:61.00
Current California Highway Patrol:28.00
Current Vehicle License Fee:320.00
Current County Service Authority for Freeway Emergencies Fee:1.00
Current Fingerprint ID Fee:1.00
Current Air Quality Management District:6.00
Current South Coast Air Basin:1.00
Alt Fuel/Tech Reg Fee:3.00
Current Vehicle Theft/DUI 2:2.00
Current Transportation Improvement Fee:165.00
Use/Sales Tax:4,690.00
Reflectorized License Plate Fee:1.00

Total Registration Fees:$589.00

Total Use/Sales Tax:$4,690.00

Grand Total Registration Fees:$5,279.00
So those are typical required fees and taxes in California, at least in LA? And a dealer can add an additional $85 in junk fees? I haven’t bought a new car in California since 2012, so I need to educate myself on fees before I buy. I loathe arguing with the finance manager about last minute add-ons. I watched some videos on how to avoid extra fees and they seem helpful. How about Tesla. Do they ever try to throw in junk fees when you take delivery?

·
530 Posts
So those are typical required fees and taxes in California, at least in LA? And a dealer can add an additional $85 in junk fees? I haven’t bought a new car in California since 2012, so I need to educate myself on fees before I buy. I loathe arguing with the finance manager about last minute add-ons. I watched some videos on how to avoid extra fees and they seem helpful. How about Tesla. Do they ever try to throw in junk fees when you take delivery?
Other than the showroom models, the price you see for Tesla is the price you pay...

Attachments

·
2019 Tiguan SE 2016 Jetta Sport
31 Posts
Just walk away from that dealer. Do not let them get away with such nonsense! As you imply, once the car leaves the lot that $10k markup vanishes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts