Volkswagen ID Forum banner

241 - 260 of 313 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
457 Posts
The electric Volvo has a "Shop" button and that takes you to the configurator which isn't that different than VW's configurator. The last step is "get local price" which I didn't click. I might do that later today when I have time. From this video, it looks like the app will show all financing options for you, and I assume (hope) also applies the correct rebates.
This seems to be the crucial missing piece.

Without it, it's nearly committing to a purchase without knowing the final price.

When I've ordered previously, I negotiated price before placing the order. The only thing I couldn't anticipate were what rebates / incentives would be available at delivery, nor the interest rate (though I have my credit union lined up).

That's why I've suggested dealer shopping with the VW system, get that lined up before committing the $100 deposit. But if somebody doesn't want to do that, they should still know up front exactly what their bottom line price is going to be without picking up the phone.

·
2021 1st
476 Posts
Ah nice, I got no swag. I ended up with a final price of 49,400 with tax (CA), delivery fees, etc. I financed at 72 months at 2.6% the 60 month financing was not available. The exterior/interior protection was also offered at $699, I said no it went to 599, then 399, and we finally settled on 299$ however I primarily wanted this for the steering wheel and then read in the warranty that this does not cover steering wheels...so I didn't appreciate the finance person telling me it would handle any future claims on the steering wheel.
The salesperson was very nice but knew very little about the car or timing on software updates.
I did not lease the car because it made little financial sense, the residual value of 21k after 3 years is the primary issue. I could have leased 3 Kona's or eNiros for the same price, and although I it's miles better than the Kona it is only marginally better than the e-Niro.
If that’s an insurance you might be able to request a refund.

·
ID4 1St Edition
8 Posts
Update on the case: VW customer service called me and left me message. They said they have reached to dealership and assigned a case manager who wants to discuss the issue with me. They left me a number, however, I tired a couple of times but I could not reach them. Dealership initially told me that I have until tomorrow to either get the car or give it up. The dealer sent me a message that they will call me tomorrow.
I called the case manager of VW customer care 5 times and left three messages. I have not heard back from them. It seems there is no real interest to address the issue.

·
217 Posts
This seems to be the crucial missing piece.

Without it, it's nearly committing to a purchase without knowing the final price.

When I've ordered previously, I negotiated price before placing the order. The only thing I couldn't anticipate were what rebates / incentives would be available at delivery, nor the interest rate (though I have my credit union lined up).

That's why I've suggested dealer shopping with the VW system, get that lined up before committing the $100 deposit. But if somebody doesn't want to do that, they should still know up front exactly what their bottom line price is going to be without picking up the phone.
Glad you mention the dealer getting locked in at step 3, because that's another disadvantage for the customer. You can't switch dealer when you reach step 3, but still need negotiate the price. If you can't reach an agreement, you'll lose your place in the line. It's an uphill battle for the buyer.

·
1st Edition
136 Posts
I’m hopefully taking delivery tomorrow, but it’s gotten complicated. The dealer gave me a very low offer on my trade in, at first I was going to bend over and take it, but decided to go through Kelly Blue Book and get a cash offer (I should point out that I’m in a rural area and there aren’t many options here for car dealerships, unless you’re willing to drive many hours to a metropolitan area).

So I did get a good tentative cash offer via KBB from a local dealer, I’m taking the car in for inspection tomorrow morning, (yes, the same day that I’m buying the ID.4), so this has all been a lot more complicated and stressful than it needed to be if the dealer hadn’t low balled my trade in. I still need to confirm that the dealer will lower the price by a few hundred dollars to engage a state tax break on EV sales.

My wife has, as usual, been keeping me sane through all this.

·
8 Posts
I’m hopefully taking delivery tomorrow, but it’s gotten complicated. The dealer gave me a very low offer on my trade in,
Have you tried to see what Carvana will give you for it? You could take that quote to your dealer and see if they can try to match it. If not then just have carvana buy it.

·
1st Edition
136 Posts
Reading back a few posts and thinking about this order/purchase model that VW has cooked up (order, wait six months, maybe get jacked by the dealer, rinse and repeat), I can’t help but recollect my experience factory ordering a Volvo:

visit dealer, they give you forms to complete to configure your car the way you want it. Return to dealer with forms, pay for car. Volvo builds car, they either bring it to you, or they fly you to Sweden to pick up the car and drive it around, then they ship it to you. Ordering a car without knowing how much we‘re paying for it is nuts.

·
1st Edition
136 Posts
Have you tried to see what Carvana will give you for it? You could take that quote to your dealer and see if they can try to match it. If not then just have carvana buy it.

I’m too far away for CarMax or Carvana. I already pointed out that KBB‘s trade in value is significantly higher, to which the reply was “we’re sorry you’re disappointed“.

·
1st Edition
136 Posts
You know what's really chewing on me? A new car is supposed to be exciting and fun. I'm sure the car will be, but why do the dealers have to make it so darned hard on us?

·
ID.4 Pro, Mythos Black
62 Posts
Sorry to hear that it's always this way. They'll get it from you and then sell it for 4-5k more. I don't know your economical situation, but hang on to it and put it up for sale at retail value on Facebook Market place if at all possible. It will sell in a couple of months. Dealers want to get my current vehicle for 10k and the retail value is 15k. I have it on sale for 16k :)

·
ID4 1St Edition
8 Posts
I called the case manager of VW customer care 5 times and left three messages. I have not heard back from them. It seems there is no real interest to address the issue.
Update 2: VW customer care called me. The answer was pretty useless, but I believe reaching out to VW fixed the dealer behavior to some extent (more details below). So, I encourage you to reach out to VW customer care select option 2 to talk to an EV advocate and tell them about the dealer shenanigans.

VW CC rep called me and told me the dealer had told them that the reason for my complaint was that I did not know MSRP does not include taxes and fees. I told her I am not nuts, and I had bought multiple cares before. My complaint was that the dealer has jacked up the Money Factor and squeezing other costs into it and said this is set in stone. At the same time, folks around the country got lower MF and APR for finance. She responded that she could only provide my feedback to the dealer; they are independently operated partners. For financial issues, I may reach VW credit. I gave her a rant about how this behavior will eventually screw VW E-mobility.

Shortly after that call, I received a call from the dealership. He apologized that he has not been transparent. He said that he is here to make some profit, which is why he has increased the MF. I told him about the numbers I got from the forum. So, all of a sudden, he said that he could offer MF .00143, and the monthly lease went down from $630 to $582 for 10K miles (residual 49%).

Regarding finance from initial APR 3.81, he said that the lowest VW offers on ID4 with credit score 740+ is 2.06%, which is a massive drop of 1.75%. I told him they get a lower invoice price + VW kickbacks + rebates, so he should not try to squeeze $1800 on my $20,000 lease. So, it seems the VW call had some positive impact.

I am still getting lower numbers based on my calculations (See LEASEHACKER), around $550. Can anyone tell me if I am missing anything?

·
14 Posts
I have read all the threads and bad experiences, caught up on videos and all the dirty tricks.

My experience: My sales contact at dealership texts me that my VW has arrived and sends me a few pics of the car with stickers still on. Asks me to come in next day to have the delivery. I confirmed the appointment and told him no VIN etching, decals, fabric protection, theft deterrent systems of any kind are to be added to the car without my express permission - he agreed. At the dealership, it started off slow - My sales contact did a walk-through of car and then introduced a back office finance guy for pricing. He then passed me on to General sales manager, the top guy at the dealership. He came in very professional and promised that he will not tag any add-ons and they are committing to a fair sale. I said I sure hope so and that my agreement with VW was based on the quoted MSRP. Here is what I was quoted for my VW ID.4 1st edition:
MSRP - $43,995
Dest. fee - $1195 (Mandatory)
State tax (TX) on new vehicles - 6.25% (Mandatory)
Doc fee - $150 (Texas has a cap on doc fee at 150)
TTL - $203. (Mandatory)

This was going much better than I expected, so I thought of asking for something - Since there is always a difference between Invoice and MSRP, I asked if there is anything he could offer that would lower the price of the car. He said he couldn't offer me a full tank of gas (pun intended) or free oil changes for a year so he said he will spitball a few ideas and be back. In 5 mins, he came back with the offer - They will offer a Level 2 charge for my home. They have a partnership with Amazon and they can have the L2 charger delivered to my home which is a $600 value. I already researched the L2 charger I was going to buy and it was at the same price point. He offered to take the $600 off the MSRP if I didnt want the L2 charger and I went for it. So, 43995 - 600 = $43395.

I was pre-approved with my credit union for 1.74% APR (65 months) and showed him my offer. I was told they will do their best to match it and they came really close. They were able to offer 1.90% APR for 72 months. It was only coming out to about $250 more over the life of the loan after I did the math. Because I had a such a good experience, I said I will eat that if they threw in VW Monster floor mats (Retail for ~$100). They readily agreed and we closed the deal at that point. Everything was as agreed and no further surprises at closing. Great experience overall. If it helps - I also was able to sneak a peek at the their invoice during actual closing - It showed $42236 as the invoice price dealer paid, so only about a $1150 is what they made (without knowing any holdbacks or dealer incentives for volume). If you are in the greater Houston area, I recommend you select Volkswagen of Clear Lake.
Which dealership is this?

·
2021 1st
476 Posts
I am still getting lower numbers based on my calculations (See LEASEHACKER), around $550. Can anyone tell me if I am missing anything?
Without seeing the numbers you're plugging into the calculator it's difficult to know what you might be missing. $580-ish doesn't seem far off if this is in CA.

Here's a link to my lease details:

·
ID4 1St Edition
8 Posts
Without seeing the numbers you're plugging into the calculator it's difficult to know what you might be missing. $580-ish doesn't seem far off if this is in CA.

Here's a link to my lease details:
Thanks for sharing. I am not sure why leasehacker does not correctly share my numbers here is the full URL (leasehackr.com/calculator?make=Volkswagen&miles=10000&msd=0&msrp=45190&sales_price=45190&months=36&mf=.00143&dp=500&dealer_fee=85&acq_fee=699&taxed_inc=9000&untaxed_inc=0&rebate=2000&resP=49&reg_fee=581&sales_tax=8.75&demo_mileage=0&memo=&monthlyTax_radio=true&cap_tax=true&bmw_demo_25=true).

ExCivilian, regarding your lease, if you are in CA why did not they give you $1500 CA rebate, too? that might be the cause of the difference.

·
2021 1st
476 Posts
ExCivilian, regarding your lease, if you are in CA why did not they give you $1500 CA rebate, too? that might be the cause of the difference.
The $1500 immediately reduced the MSRP.

The difference between what you posted and mine is that I didn't pay anything out of pocket...not a single penny. I drove away with a signature.

Here are the same numbers with "zero drive-off."
leasehackr.com/calculator?make=Volkswagen&miles=10000&msd=0&msrp=45190&sales_price=45190&months=36&mf=.00143&dp=500&dealer_fee=85&acq_fee=699&taxed_inc=9000&untaxed_inc=0&rebate=2000&resP=49&reg_fee=400&sales_tax=8.75&demo_mileage=0&memo=&zero_driveoff=true&monthlyTax_radio=true&bmw_demo_25=true&dealerFee_check=false&govFee_check=false

In order to get the same payment as me, you'll need to reduce the MSRP by $1,500 and change your taxable rebates to $7,500 from $9,000.

·
ID4 1St Edition
8 Posts
The $1500 immediately reduced the MSRP.

The difference between what you posted and mine is that I didn't pay anything out of pocket...not a single penny. I drove away with a signature.

Here are the same numbers with "zero drive-off."
leasehackr.com/calculator?make=Volkswagen&miles=10000&msd=0&msrp=45190&sales_price=45190&months=36&mf=.00143&dp=500&dealer_fee=85&acq_fee=699&taxed_inc=9000&untaxed_inc=0&rebate=2000&resP=49&reg_fee=400&sales_tax=8.75&demo_mileage=0&memo=&zero_driveoff=true&monthlyTax_radio=true&bmw_demo_25=true&dealerFee_check=false&govFee_check=false

In order to get the same payment as me, you'll need to reduce the MSRP by $1,500 and change your taxable rebates to $7,500 from $9,000.
Thanks for explaining; the zero drive-off explaines the difference.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
335 Posts
Just purchased my ID.4 today and had a pretty good experience at Emich VW in Denver! They said I'm the 2nd ID.4 owner in the state I'll post later tonight with more details about the dealer experience for those who are interested.

P.S. Can we start a Denver/Colorado thread? There isn't one yet as far as I'm aware, but I've seen others for like San Diego, Chicago, etc.

·
15 Posts
I can’t help but recollect my experience factory ordering a Volvo:

visit dealer, they give you forms to complete to configure your car the way you want it. Return to dealer with forms, pay for car. Volvo builds car, they either bring it to you, or they fly you to Sweden to pick up the car
My parents did that for their '67 Volvo 240. I wonder if VW could offer the Volvo model, even if only as a way to force a little competition into the local markets: customers can buy the ID.4 "from the factory," with optional customer visit to pick-up from factory & drive around Germany (or else VW arranges direct ship to customer).

Once word gets out that having it shipped direct prevents markup above MSRP, dealers would have to toe the line a bit.

241 - 260 of 313 Posts