Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
419 Posts
Already seeing some effects of the Inflation Act signing. 2022 ID.4s sitting on dealer lots in larger numbers.
Where? My local dealer has just 1 out of 35 available to sell - which they are still selling for 5K markup. They just need one guy to pony up. Could change in a couple of months.

·
419 Posts
Emich in Denver has 3 cancelled 2022 that they are marking up $599-2000 so if you don't want to keep waiting its getting easier every week to get one off the lot. They have 28 more in transit so will likely have more cancellations available soon. I expect they will soon be back to MSRP on cancellations.
Good link. Although all 3 are marked sale pending if you click them. In my area the problem is not the markup, it is finding one in the first place. Since they don't last the day, checking the online page does not really help. Doesn't look like Colorado dealers have any issues moving them either, so why would they go through extra trouble shipping it to someone in CA.

Reactions: aManCalledSloan

·
419 Posts
Yes, but the Bolt is a hatchback, right? Right now the ID.4 (and some demo Audi Q4s) are the only game in town for a compact EV Crossover/SUV.

·
419 Posts
i got email from south charlotte vw dealer about 2022 ID4 availability and mentioned that these vehicles are available because of customers returned their reservations... not sure about mark up.. looks like 4 cars available
my reservation will be ready in few days and my car is in ship and i have binding contract as well..so i am not calling the dealer
good luck
Do you mean this dealer?

All of them show pending sale.

·
419 Posts
My guess is they can't remove the "sale pending" tag until a certain amount of time has past or it's auto generated and they can't do anything about it. If they've gone through the trouble of taking photos and uploading them, there's a good chance it's available for purchase. However, the vehicles may sell quickly and the ads will linger.

Speaking with multiple dealers from various brands over the last few years I've come to realize they have very little control over the content or don't have the resources to manage it in real time. It may not be a priority for them since they likely get a lot of inquiries on what's listed and those leads could turn into potential sales on other models or orders.
It is a fair point. I usually do not assume the website to be fully accurate and better to call.

·
419 Posts

·
419 Posts
Btw, for this thread's intent - I don't think the demand has lessened yet. But there is some pressure on the markup.
I almost bought a ID.4 from a LA dealer couple of days ago. They had one cancelled order (that happened to be the exact color combo/trim I want) selling at MSRP + about $1200 in dealer installed extras. I was ok with it because I have a gradient on order and this was a non-gradient which saves me some money. I am about 5-6 hours away, so I asked if I could place deposit or hold it in some way, maybe even start the buying process. Because I am not making that trip unless it is a sure thing. But they wanted me to come in else they could not hold it. Which is weird. The dealership model needs to reinvent itself. Or maybe it is a CA thing. Anyway, I asked the rep to tell me at closing time if the car was still there, then I would come in at 8am next morning when they open. But it sold that evening.

·
419 Posts
Sounds like a vapor car, never existed or was already sold. Anything to get you into that dealer's store like bait and switch.
Well, the guy sent me a video of the car in the dealership, so it existed at some point. Not sure why it is so hard to actually buy it remotely. I mean, you can buy a house remotely except for the part when the notary comes at home to get signatures. But the house is sold through docusign pretty much.

·
419 Posts
All reserved orders show up as stock. The main question is if some are cancelled. Often they get listed as MSRP but when you call they hit you with the details. That being said, a different SoCal dealer was selling for MSRP plus $1500 of crap, but it sold before I could get there.

Reactions: Nycturne

·
419 Posts
Nothing is available yet, I check every other week including out of state. The numbers are increasing (thankfully), it simply means people will hopefully eventually wait 3-6 months instead of a year. Every single one of these are reserved. One or two thousand across the whole country is nothing. Half of those are in transit. Whatever cancelled is picked up immediately. Because of the 7500 being gone, my research says some dealers have reduced the markup. But that's pretty much it so far.

·
419 Posts
Yes, I have followed the discussion in this thread, and the only way this discussion gets resolved is when VW of A (and the other EV vendors) publishes 3Q sales data. I personally us the Edmunds car inventory data but nobody has referenced that data in this discussion, so we wait for official sales data.
What is there to resolve? Not a lot of of ID.4s have been produced (compared to say Tesla), and whatever is produced is sold immediately. Maybe middle of next year we will see data about increased production numbers. And then we can see if there is any running inventory/lack of demand etc.

·
419 Posts
I got two calls from the dealers offering me to buy id.4 RWD and AWD pro s almost without any markup (1k).

I do think that the number of unclaimed cars is rising fast. Not having a 7500 rebate will stop many buyers.

Anyway, just a fact from today....

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk
Yes, I think the markup thing is true at some dealers. Many were charging 5K markup, now they are not charging any but tagging on 1.5K of GPS and some protective film. And probably hiking some interest rate in the background. But given that the car is now 7.5K more expensive, most of the "loss" burden is still being borne by the buyer, the dealers are feeling that a little less markup is good enough, and there are enough buyers ok with this arrangement. Try calling that dealer couple of days later. That ID.4 will be gone by then. Sometimes the person who cold called does not know - another agent already sold it. Happened to me twice. Sadly my local dealers are still charging 5K. Not that they have what I want.

·
419 Posts
We do not know yet whether the Equinox would qualify for the entire $7500. It probably will not.

Dave
And more importantly, there is no equinox.
Btw ford recently increased MachE prices by fairly large amounts. 8K for a config that would interest me. So no one really knows where a car 1-2 years in the future will land price-wise.

·
419 Posts
Your conditions may apply to you but not to others. With a plug in hybrid you will be paying for electricity and gas vs someone who uses 100% free charging, for example.
It depends on the commute. My wife drives a Honda Clarity PHEV with 40-50 miles of range. Commute is 15 miles each way. Free charging at work. We fill up gas maybe once every six months. The tank is only 7 gallons.

·
419 Posts
Well got ANOTHER call today from same dealer in san diego, another cancellation. Seems like deliveries are picking up now or they just had a major drop .
Which one. I did a cursory search and Kearny Mesa seems to have 6, out of which 1 does not have a "sale pending". Some of the other ones don't even have a single one on the lot (reserved or not).

Reactions: aManCalledSloan

·
419 Posts
I found one at VW of San Francisco this morning - Pro S AWD Blue/Black. The person on the phone said it is MSRP (I guess there could be some extra items tacked on but did not ask). He also said it is the only cancellation they have had in a while. My first requirement is a gray interior so I passed. But maybe this helps someone else - if it is still there.

·
419 Posts
I am amazed at how many people are taking the “word on the phone” of car salesman. In my experience they will often lie to your face and even tack on $$$ to the agreed price in the paperwork(Jeep). But now on the internet they are 😇
Possible. But I didn't want that particular config so no reason to probe on the price. If someone wants it, they can find out more.

Reactions: PANZERidIV
1 - 17 of 17 Posts