Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set up an appointment to experience the ID4 Thursday morning. Looks like that is the only way to see it. I believe they are allowing each person 15 minutes with the car.

·
ID.4 1st Edition
6 Posts
I set up an appointment to experience the ID4 Thursday morning. Looks like that is the only way to see it. I believe they are allowing each person 15 minutes with the car.
Would you mind measuring the width the backseat for me? I would like to see if it's wide enough for 3 car seats (vs. Model Y). Thanks in advance.

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was not able to measure the rear seats. I will say that it appears roomy enough for three car seats.

The ID4 feels like a quality car. It feels roomier than other compact SUVs that I have been in. I'm downsizing from a Pilot and it doesn't feel like I am compromising space like with a Kona or Niro.

I spoke with the VW rep that is traveling with the car. I told him people are concerned with the lack of transparency. He said he understood, but there are so many moving parts to this during a pandemic. Employees are also trying to figure out things on the fly.

VW (Germany) plant is stretched to capacity.
Discussed the issue of remote parking on the 2022 model. His response, and I agree, how much are you going to use that feature? Is it a deal-breaker for you?

If you have a real concern about future upgrades you could lease the ID4 and get a more advanced model in a few years. (but that is with the hope that the tax credit will still be there.

Speaking of leasing, one could debate if the German-made ID4 will hold a greater resale value than the American made ID4. Is leasing worth the flexibility?

Dealer said that there will be no additional markups. In fact, he mentioned a possible $1500 credit/savings (not sure if that was Nationwide or California).

The 1st Editions are slated for March. The Pro will probably be a couple of months later. There could be additional 1st Editions available due to cancellations. VW will reach out to customers with reservations to see if they want that model.

As for the 1st Edition, the white steering wheel and finishing look nice, BUT I can't do a white steering wheel. It will take constant upkeep. I will say that the 1st Edition offers the package (except no illuminated grill).

The car is headed to Huntington Beach tomorrow.

·
44 Posts
I never had issues with the white steering wheel in my i3. I did wipe it down occasionally when I cleaned the car, but after 40,000 miles it didn't look dirty or anything.

·
ID.4 1st Edition
6 Posts
I was not able to measure the rear seats. I will say that it appears roomy enough for three car seats.

The ID4 feels like a quality car. It feels roomier than other compact SUVs that I have been in. I'm downsizing from a Pilot and it doesn't feel like I am compromising space like with a Kona or Niro.

I spoke with the VW rep that is traveling with the car. I told him people are concerned with the lack of transparency. He said he understood, but there are so many moving parts to this during a pandemic. Employees are also trying to figure out things on the fly.

VW (Germany) plant is stretched to capacity.
Discussed the issue of remote parking on the 2022 model. His response, and I agree, how much are you going to use that feature? Is it a deal-breaker for you?

If you have a real concern about future upgrades you could lease the ID4 and get a more advanced model in a few years. (but that is with the hope that the tax credit will still be there.

Speaking of leasing, one could debate if the German-made ID4 will hold a greater resale value than the American made ID4. Is leasing worth the flexibility?

Dealer said that there will be no additional markups. In fact, he mentioned a possible $1500 credit/savings (not sure if that was Nationwide or California).

The 1st Editions are slated for March. The Pro will probably be a couple of months later. There could be additional 1st Editions available due to cancellations. VW will reach out to customers with reservations to see if they want that model.

As for the 1st Edition, the white steering wheel and finishing look nice, BUT I can't do a white steering wheel. It will take constant upkeep. I will say that the 1st Edition offers the package (except no illuminated grill).

The car is headed to Huntington Beach tomorrow.
Thanks for the detailed information, it was very helpful. Do you know which HB dealer it's heading to?

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[I’m not sure.

QUOTE="unclrico, post: 4368, member: 1130"]
Thanks for the detailed information, it was very helpful. Do you know which HB dealer it's heading to?
[/QUOTE]

·
3 Posts

If it's truly in Hunting Beach that would be Mckenna. I can't find any add or invite online though, however I did see a Norm Reeves add on Facebook today 10am -2pm I can't imagine it's not on its way south to San Diego for the weekend!
1607053254037.png

·
163 Posts
In fact, he mentioned a possible $1500 credit/savings (not sure if that was Nationwide or California).
The $1,500 credit is a new CARB credit California started a few weeks ago. It is available for all EVs for participating "dealers" and the credit is available at purchase (no mailing in for the credit or waiting for tax returns). Tesla is offering the credit as well.

·
36 Posts

If it's truly in Hunting Beach that would be Mckenna. I can't find any add or invite online though, however I did see a Norm Reeves add on Facebook today 10am -2pm I can't imagine it's not on its way south to San Diego for the weekend!
I just checked Norm Reeves website & it is there today!
ID.4 Premiere | Norm Reeves Volkswagen (normreevesvw.com)

·
36 Posts
I never had issues with the white steering wheel in my i3. I did wipe it down occasionally when I cleaned the car, but after 40,000 miles it didn't look dirty or anything.
That is good to know! The white steering wheel is one of my biggest concerns about the ID.4, and I haven't talked with anyone who has had one. It may seem like a small thing, but if the wheel gets permanently stained with grease and dirt from hands, that's going to be the first thing I see every time I get in the car.

·
36 Posts
I just checked Norm Reeves website & it is there today!
ID.4 Premiere | Norm Reeves Volkswagen (normreevesvw.com)
Yep, they have it at Norm Reeves in Irvine today from 10-2. It's cool! It's a very solid-sounding car. And big inside - I'm 6'2" & with the seat all the way back I couldn't touch the front footrest. And with the seat all the way back, the back seats still laid down flat (they were showing someone the cargo volume when I was in front). It's a little longer and a little shorter than what I thought it would be. A nice size, just different than what I envisioned. Sorry, ChristophW & unclrico, they're leaving tomorrow morning for Phoenix, not San Diego.

·
ID.4 1st Edition
6 Posts
Yep, they have it at Norm Reeves in Irvine today from 10-2. It's cool! It's a very solid-sounding car. And big inside - I'm 6'2" & with the seat all the way back I couldn't touch the front footrest. And with the seat all the way back, the back seats still laid down flat (they were showing someone the cargo volume when I was in front). It's a little longer and a little shorter than what I thought it would be. A nice size, just different than what I envisioned. Sorry, ChristophW & unclrico, they're leaving tomorrow morning for Phoenix, not San Diego.
I'm 30 minutes away. I'm very tempted to make the drive. Is there a line?

·
36 Posts
I'm 30 minutes away. I'm very tempted to make the drive. Is there a line?
There were more employees than people looking at the car... 2 people from corporate, doing a training class on the car, but that was 2 hrs ago. If it were me, it would be worth it. Seeing it in person confirmed I'm willing to wait for it.

Oh, and by the way, one of the corporate people said the 1st Ed would be delivered first (spring), then the others (late spring/early summer). She also said it'll be another month or so before we will be confirming our orders.

·
35 Posts
I'm disappointed we won't see it in San Diego, but thanks for asking the sales people, and thanks for your report. I don't know about the other San Diegans who expressed interest, but I'm in line for a Pro S and not a FE, so maybe dealers will get their demo cars before I have to fork out the next $400.

·
36 Posts
Oh, and the corporate rep mentioned that the 1st Ed and the AWD models are the only ones that come with a hitch, there's no other option to get one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts