Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2023 I ordered is at my local dealer (despite the VW site shows Leaving the Factory), but I am not sure I want it.
I have not driven one and my local dealer said they do not offer test drives, so this is almost a non-starter. A few questions for those who have taken delivery and other wise folks:
  • Thoughts on resale value. How many dealers or others are selling them for above MSRP?
  • Overall satisfaction?
  • Value compared to Vinfast and Fisker?
  • Any insight with trade ins? I have a 2012 Impreza Limited.
Thanks in advance
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle Tire

Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Wheel

·
2,134 Posts
The 2023 I ordered is at my local dealer (despite the VW site shows Leaving the Factory), but I am not sure I want it.
I have not driven one and my local dealer said they do not offer test drives, so this is almost a non-starter. A few questions for those who have taken delivery and other wise folks:
  • Thoughts on resale value. How many dealers or others are selling them for above MSRP?
  • Overall satisfaction?
Thanks in advance View attachment 17692
View attachment 17691
They won’t let you test drive your own order? That is not ok. You should contact customer support about that now.

·
182 Posts
  • Overall satisfaction?
I have had mine for a week. With the exception of the myVW app not working I am happy that I bought it. Regarding Vinfast and Fisker...I am pretty confident that VW will be in business and around to honor their warranty and have spare parts in 5, 10, whatever years. Not sure about the other two. I sold my 2013 Subaru Outback to CarMax for $2K more than the dealer offered me on a trade-in. The CarMax experience was quick and painless.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think OP probably meant a demo. Many dealers don't have an "extra" ID4 for people to do test drives. Heck, some don't even have any on the lot to check out!

GR
Would take a drive in a 2022.
Expect the Fisker Ocean by mid-next year and optimistic about their future especially since they are built at the Magna factory, and Fisker learned a lot from their first foray and from the current EV competition. Like the Ocean and features more than the ID4.

·
Premium Member
2022 Pro S AWD v3.1
897 Posts
If you're hedging on completing the purchase, the dealer may be hedging on allowing anyone to drive it. My dealer is pretty strict on this. Nobody can test drive a Golf GTI or Golf R either. They did have a FE for test drives for a few months but they sold it and have no demonstrator now.

·
25 Posts
  • Overall satisfaction?
View attachment 17691
Your dealer wont let you test drive the car you ordered?
That is wrong...

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're hedging on completing the purchase, the dealer may be hedging on allowing anyone to drive it. My dealer is pretty strict on this. Nobody can test drive a Golf GTI or Golf R either. They did have a FE for test drives for a few months but they sold it and have no demonstrator now.
Wow. Interesting. Makes a bigger difference now when they are so scarce.

·
2023 ID 4 Pro S AWD Pearl Black/Galaxy
179 Posts
Expect the Fisker Ocean by mid-next year and optimistic about their future especially since they are built at the Magna factory, and Fisker learned a lot from their first foray and from the current EV competition. Like the Ocean and features more than the ID4.
If the Fisker Ocean is the car you really want then by all means wait for it. You don’t want to be regretting your $50K purchase down the road.
It’s your money, buy what you want!

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,149 Posts
My dealer tried this tactic on me on the day I picked mine up. The salesman said, "We have a demo you can drive." ;) "I've demoed an ID.4; I want to drive the car I'm about to buy." :unsure: "Ok, let me check with my manager." :rolleyes:

·
668 Posts
  • Overall satisfaction?
View attachment 17691
I think the dealer is a jerk - like so many - and I would cancel the order. Shortly there will be plenty of them for sale. Actually you may want to consider a PHEV instead. The new Prius Prime gets about 40 miles as a pure EV with about 600 miles range and no charging anxiety. EPA has it rated as one of the highest MPGe on the market!

·
288 Posts
I think the dealer is a jerk - like so many - and I would cancel the order. Shortly there will be plenty of them for sale. Actually you may want to consider a PHEV instead. The new Prius Prime gets about 40 miles as a pure EV with about 600 miles range and no charging anxiety. EPA has it rated as one of the highest MPGe on the market!
Have you ever driven a PHEV? I have. That 40miles of electric range is about 35miles. Have a read in the Mitsu Outlander PHEV forums. Yikes. Factor in cold/hot weather, weight of passengers etc...and you're down to about 25-28 tops. My neighbor a few doors down has a 2021 and bitches about the EV range of it. He is also waiting for an ID4. To each their own so good luck on your decision.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,149 Posts
I was looking at a PHEV review – it may have been Alex on Autos and the Sportage? Don't remember – and he said the electric drive is only good up to around 55 MPH. Much faster than that and the engine starts up. True? False? Typical? I haven't looked into PHEVs much but that surprised me.

·
200 Posts
I guess I misunderstood you. So, your dealer offered you a test drive on a 2022, but won't let you try out the 2023 that you ordered before purchasing it? That's not right. Unless they can offer "money back guaranteed" within a few days, how would I know if it has major issues or not? This is something that VW should be able to address, I think.

GR

·
2023 ID.4 AWD Pro S
64 Posts
iD.4 is an excellent vehicle. Took our first long road trip yesterday, in cold weather. It nearly drives itself, and makes trips very relaxing especially in stop/go traffic. Charged, for free, twice at EA, no problems. Power, handling and features are everything one needs in a modern car. Took a friend along, and he commented how the VW is so much better than Tesla. VinFast and Fisker do not have an established national dealer network, yet. If you are hesitant, keep your Subaru and order an EV again when you are ready.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts