Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,230 Posts
My dealer tried this tactic on me on the day I picked mine up. The salesman said, "We have a demo you can drive." ;) "I've demoed an ID.4; I want to drive the car I'm about to buy." :unsure: "Ok, let me check with my manager." :rolleyes:

·
5,230 Posts
I was looking at a PHEV review – it may have been Alex on Autos and the Sportage? Don't remember – and he said the electric drive is only good up to around 55 MPH. Much faster than that and the engine starts up. True? False? Typical? I haven't looked into PHEVs much but that surprised me.

·
5,230 Posts
When I ordered my ID4 it had about 6 months wait time, but about a month after I ordered it I walked into another dealer and walked out with a new 1st edition! There is so much BS on these forums I have gotten to where I rarely pay any attention any more....
I don't know, I heard the same story from my parents who have been longtime Toyota owners, but after shopping through the spring and summer and coming up short, finally gave up and ordered a Kia Sportage, waited a few months for it, too, but finally got it.

Obviously 2nd hand info on my part, but it sounds like some of these high demand models are truly in short supply.

·
5,230 Posts
So it's 30% range drop in winter but is this worst case scenario? With id.4 we have seen as low as 45% drop
Was this short trip mileage?

Short trips in the cold always put an oversized dent in the battery. As mileage and time increase, the car claws back from that initial deficit.

·
5,230 Posts
With id.4 we have seen as low as 45% drop
Oh, so you've read about...

I don't know, that's a pretty disturbing account, I'd like to know what happened there, too.

Was their battery cold soaked overnight after charging the day prior? Were the head winds really blowing 25 to 30 as they claimed? How much of a difference did showing from 70 to 65 make?

There are a lot of factors at play that affect range. If the elements are working against us, well, there's no free lunch. It saps range to drive in those conditions. What VW needs to do is provide us the tools in the dashboard to plan for this, so as to set expectations from the outset, ala ABRP.

·
5,230 Posts
I'm with you, the only time I need rear window switches is to roll up the windows the kids rolled down.

My i3 BTW has a very similar arrangement, except BMW deleted the rear switches, too. 😉 I'm perfectly fine with that design decision.

·
5,230 Posts
A few years ago, the Norwegian government did a test on all EVs then available in Europe. First, the cold-soaked the cars at -10 F for 24 hours. Then they drove all of them in +10 F weather at about 100 km/hr until they completely stopped. The best cars lost about 25% range. The worst lost about 40%. Most lost about 33-35%.
Interesting parameters, testing to the car's range, rather than a fixed distance. Case in point, a cold-soaked ID.4 in those conditions would maybe go only 150 miles on the initial charge, but I imagine could squeak out an additional 50 miles on each subsequent charge after the battery pack is warmed up. That would look even worse for a lower range EV like an i3.

·
5,230 Posts
Better check your sources @Huey52, Dave's Tire Emporium is presenting some false info.

The only time I had to have a DOT-type safety inspection was when I brought my rolled-over salvaged Ranger back to life. And the DMV inspects new and used out-of-state cars I've brought in to register, but it seems they're mainly looking for emissions compliance decals. (BTW my i3 BEV has an emissions decal on the tailgate! I need to look if the ID.4 has one, too.)

The California bi-annual smog test is just that -- emissions check only -- and they would issue the certificate even with a brake light dangling by wires and bald, mismatched tires.

·
5,230 Posts
And this is the Mecca of 'merican automotives?
Maybe that's why Tesla builds theirs here, panel gaps and loose bumper facias and all the other warts! Grade A California Chuck stamped on each example.

Tire Car Vehicle Hood Wheel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts