Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I agree, the ID4 is a fine automobile. I have been keeping an eye on the EV evolution for some time now. The ID4 pushed me over the edge. I sold my 2017 Porsche Macan while the used car market was at its peak and purchased an ID4 PRO S, moonstone gray over black. I had a reservation in for 9 months when last month my VW sales representative called and told me they received one exactly equipped as the one I had on order and the buyer canceled. I jumped on it and took delivery a couple days later after dealer prep. The Macan was a very good ride but I feel the ID 4 is better. I really like, and am comfortable, with all the technology that went into the ID 4.

·
668 Posts
Too bad the new Prius has a 9-12month wait and they don’t even know the cost or trim combos. I’ve called 6 dealers to check.
When I ordered my ID4 it had about 6 months wait time, but about a month after I ordered it I walked into another dealer and walked out with a new 1st edition! There is so much BS on these forums I have gotten to where I rarely pay any attention any more....

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,149 Posts
When I ordered my ID4 it had about 6 months wait time, but about a month after I ordered it I walked into another dealer and walked out with a new 1st edition! There is so much BS on these forums I have gotten to where I rarely pay any attention any more....
I don't know, I heard the same story from my parents who have been longtime Toyota owners, but after shopping through the spring and summer and coming up short, finally gave up and ordered a Kia Sportage, waited a few months for it, too, but finally got it.

Obviously 2nd hand info on my part, but it sounds like some of these high demand models are truly in short supply.

·
2020 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 Turbo
154 Posts
  • Thoughts on resale value. How many dealers or others are selling them for above MSRP?
    • Resale value when? It will be fine for a year, but beyond that my guess it will start taking a hit as other options trickle in
  • Overall satisfaction?
    • Not satisfied, but no other choice to get EV this year for reasonble price
  • Value compared to Vinfast and Fisker?
    • Those are not proven new companies and these cars are not even out yet to consider their value but certainly look great
  • Any insight with trade ins? I have a 2012 Impreza Limited.
    • Trade in values are dropping quickly, I am in the same boat with my trade in and monitoring it closely

·
476 Posts
Have you ever driven a PHEV? I have. That 40miles of electric range is about 35miles. Have a read in the Mitsu Outlander PHEV forums. Yikes. Factor in cold/hot weather, weight of passengers etc...and you're down to about 25-28 tops. My neighbor a few doors down has a 2021 and bitches about the EV range of it. He is also waiting for an ID4. To each their own so good luck on your decision.
That's a needlessly pessimistic opinion.

My 2012 Chevy Volt has a stated electric range of something like 35 miles. But it's just like any other EV: In the Winter on a highway it's more like 25 miles and on a sunny Spring day driving at 40 MPH on relatively-level country roads, we've managed 52 miles.

·
154 Posts

My 2012 Chevy Volt has a stated electric range of something like 35 miles. But it's just like any other EV: In the Winter on a highway it's more like 25 miles and on a sunny Spring day driving at 40 MPH on relatively-level country roads, we've managed 52 miles.
So it's 30% range drop in winter but is this worst case scenario? With id.4 we have seen as low as 45% drop

·
476 Posts
So it's 30% range drop in winter but is this worst case scenario? With id.4 we have seen as low as 45% drop
I'm citing roundish numbers but frankly, I haven't see anything approaching a 45% decrease in Winter range for my ID.4. But then again, most of my driving is in modes where wind resistance plays a much bigger role than heating losses. In my ID.4, I usually get 3.1 or so MPKWH and the other morning, in quite cold temperatures, got 2.1 MPKWH. This is roughly consistent with what my Volt gets at the same highway speeds.

·
5,149 Posts
Was this short trip mileage?

Short trips in the cold always put an oversized dent in the battery. As mileage and time increase, the car claws back from that initial deficit.

·
154 Posts

·
5,149 Posts
With id.4 we have seen as low as 45% drop
Oh, so you've read about...

I don't know, that's a pretty disturbing account, I'd like to know what happened there, too.

Was their battery cold soaked overnight after charging the day prior? Were the head winds really blowing 25 to 30 as they claimed? How much of a difference did showing from 70 to 65 make?

There are a lot of factors at play that affect range. If the elements are working against us, well, there's no free lunch. It saps range to drive in those conditions. What VW needs to do is provide us the tools in the dashboard to plan for this, so as to set expectations from the outset, ala ABRP.

·
288 Posts

Then buy another Volt and move on with your life.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts