Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many on this forum, I'm going back and forth between taking delivery of my 2022 car (locked back in April) or waiting for the 2023 that I reserved yesterday. Earlier today, I chatted with VW customer care who claimed that my car would be delivered in August, even though it's still showing steady at 03 (and the Germans have been enjoying a few weeks off). So I decided to try and do a line-item comparison between the two RWD Pro S cars I reserved, pulling from the "my configuration" page of each reservation. The full doc is attached below. At a glance, it appears that VW is decontenting the car for the 2023 MY. Sure, 170kw charging is nice, as might be the park assist (whatever it entails). But I don't much care for 20-inch wheels and the stiffer ride and lower range they entail compared to the 19s. Other features were moved up to the Plus trim or abandoned. I tried to highlight the differences I caught in red (decontenting) and green (possible feature add).

Before this compilation I was pretty sure I would wait for the 2023 (no rush at our end) but now I'm wondering if the 2022, at app. $2,500 less, is actually the better package, at least for me. Anyway, would love your thoughts!

Attachments

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,124 Posts
Looks about right. One change you missed, the power-folding side mirrors are gone. For 2023 they are manual foldable unless you get the S plus. I too like the 2022 better at the S trim, especially with the dusk blue. I think more will choose the non S trim on 2023 than before. And multiple reports that the 2022 are doing 145kw DCFC when temps. are right and low SOC <20%.

·
888 Posts
Like many on this forum, I'm going back and forth between taking delivery of my 2022 car (locked back in April) or waiting for the 2023 that I reserved yesterday. Earlier today, I chatted with VW customer care who claimed that my car would be delivered in August, even though it's still showing steady at 03 (and the Germans have been enjoying a few weeks off). So I decided to try and do a line-item comparison between the two RWD Pro S cars I reserved, pulling from the "my configuration" page of each reservation. The full doc is attached below. At a glance, it appears that VW is decontenting the car for the 2023 MY. Sure, 170kw charging is nice, as might be the park assist (whatever it entails). But I don't much care for 20-inch wheels and the stiffer ride and lower range they entail compared to the 19s. Other features were moved up to the Plus trim or abandoned. I tried to highlight the differences I caught in red (decontenting) and green (possible feature add).

Before this compilation I was pretty sure I would wait for the 2023 (no rush at our end) but now I'm wondering if the 2022, at app. $2,500 less, is actually the better package, at least for me. Anyway, would love your thoughts!
I'm leaning toward keeping my locked Pro S 2022 as opposed to my reserved Pro S Plus 2023. The differences are not great and the price differential is large. Additionally, my study of the new Tax Credit law says to me that my 2022 will likely end up getting the full $7500 under the "old" rules and the 2023 may get $0 to $3875 under the new rules. I'm speculating that none of the EV makers will pass the 40% test on battery mineral mining and processing. That makes the price differential even larger.

Dave

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So do folks think VW really took away the memory function from the mirrors, the low-speed cornering feature of the headlights, and the coming/going light show (from the Pro S trim)? I wonder how much is actual decontenting vs. lost in translation of the marketing speak. Perhaps @Plant Peon has some insights?

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,124 Posts
So do folks think VW really took away the memory function from the mirrors, the low-speed cornering feature of the headlights, and the coming/going light show (from the Pro S trim)? I wonder how much is actual decontenting vs. lost in translation of the marketing speak. Perhaps @Plant Peon has some insights?
Yes since those are items spelled out clearly on their site (except no memory on the mirrors, not sure where that is mentioned, but they are not power folding unless plus trim), and they often shuffle around features to meet a price point. Unlike the smaller battery DCFC rate which is simply left off. And note all the S trims get the better headlights with cornering (LED headlights w/ Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) since I doubt they would introduce another version of the top end lights just to remove the low speed dynamic cornering feature of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts