Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi VW ID Community!

I'm a new joiner awaiting delivery of our ID4 AWD. This will be our first VW and first brand new car ordered via reservation so we've been absorbing all the information this community has to share. In all our reading, we haven't been able to find much information on how much time it takes to ship an ID4 from German to the US. From what we've found, it looks like a general range from 4-6 weeks. But once it gets to port, again, it looks like times vary to arrive at the dealership. Lastly it looks like it takes about 24-48 hours for dealer prep before we should be able to expect delivery. Was hoping the community could confirm our expectations below and correct where necessary?

Below is the status and the (general time in that status):

Reservation Confirmed (3 weeks Late May to Mid June was our experience)
Place Your Order (1 day, we placed the order and it immediately went to Locked)
Order Locked (2-3 months, mid-June to early-September)
Leaving the Factory (we just received notice, internet research suggests 4-6 weeks but depends on port)
Arriving in the US (1-2 weeks depending on how far dealer is relative to port)
Prepare for Purchase (suspect this is part of the same 1-2 weeks scoped in the "arriving in the US")
Arriving at Dealer (24-48 hours for dealer prep before you get it)

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
2,502 Posts
Welcome to the group!! I would love to help you and correct your timeline but I'm sorry I can't help much. Deliveries of AWD units have started in the US, so that is a positive sign. Good luck and keep us posted with any info you receive.

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the group!! I would love to help you and correct your timeline but I'm sorry I can't help much. Deliveries of AWD units have started in the US, so that is a positive sign. Good luck and keep us posted with any info you receive.
Thanks! I figured the logistics after leaving the factory would likely be the same regardless of the model/trim ordered so was hoping to leverage some FE owner's experience to fill out the timeline. To the extent it helps, it seems that discussions on this forum, and others, suggest that the AWD order prioritization appears to be somewhat correlated with the options selected, meaning a higher optioned AWD car may be locked later on in time but be delivered earlier than others who may have locked sooner. My experience seems to align with this given we ordered and locked relatively recently and were surprised to see it was leaving the factory.

Thanks for the reply!

·
26 Posts
Our Pro S (not AWD) has shown status at the "Port" since early July. It was supposed at the dealer late June, then mid July, then first week of Aug, then 16-20 Aug, then 13 Aug (we were told this on 21 Aug), then just "at the port" - no time frame given.

So, two months with no status update. We call the dealer every week - same answer - "at the port".

We live in Las Vegas, NV.

Hope your experience is better.

Jim

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,880 Posts
were surprised to see it was leaving the factory.
That's real surprising to me and many others who have been waiting far longer. Note it could be wrong until you get a VIN. VW has said they will be delivered in order of reservation date, and with the FE and then later the Pro and Pro S it seems they mostly did follow this. They just started shipping and delivering AWD with VINs to those who reserved in Sep.-Oct 2020. If they now skip over the many others who reserved before May (your date?) there will be many mad people. The time estimates keep changing from whatever it has been in the past, and the wheel of confusion is mostly wrong, is the only constant I can tell you from observing and waiting for almost a year now.

·
Blue ProS RWD is in my garage! Only took 187 days.
757 Posts
That's real surprising to me and many others who have been waiting far longer. Note it could be wrong until you get a VIN. VW has said they will be delivered in order of reservation date, and with the FE and then later the Pro and Pro S it seems they mostly did follow this. They just started shipping and delivering AWD with VINs to those who reserved in Sep.-Oct 2020. If they now skip over the many others who reserved before May (your date?) there will be many mad people. The time estimates keep changing from whatever it has been in the past, and the wheel of confusion is mostly wrong, is the only constant I can tell you from observing and waiting for almost a year now.
The factory is going to build some AWD, some RWD, in batches. I don't think they are yet to the point where they can build each one unique as it comes down the line.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,880 Posts
The factory is going to build some AWD, some RWD, in batches.
I agree, and never expected anything else. The AWD and RWD have always been in separate q. I was referring only to the above post about AWD timing. The RWD wait times may be longer than in the past since VW will be switching to producing both and the chip shortage has gotten worse, so setting expectations based on the past will likely be wrong too.

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our Pro S (not AWD) has shown status at the "Port" since early July. It was supposed at the dealer late June, then mid July, then first week of Aug, then 16-20 Aug, then 13 Aug (we were told this on 21 Aug), then just "at the port" - no time frame given.

So, two months with no status update. We call the dealer every week - same answer - "at the port".

We live in Las Vegas, NV.

Hope your experience is better.

Jim
Sorry to hear of your experience. Hopefully, this gets cleared soon because it must be torture to find that your car is at port but you haven't gotten in for a nearly 3 months!

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I was surprised but I can confirm that it has already been assigned a VIN. There are various ways to confirm the VIN via different browsers, which I found out about via lurking on this forum via this thread. Anecdotal reports from other forum threads (reddit) suggest that reservation order isn't correlated to production sequencing for the AWD. Some AWD orders appear to have been pushed out to Oct-Dec whereas ours had shown Sept-Oct since July.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,880 Posts
Anecdotal reports from other forum threads (reddit) suggest that reservation order isn't correlated to production sequencing for the AWD.
In the link you posted, I find no evidence of that. The one person on reddit who got a VIN ordered in Sep 2020, same as people reporting VINs in this forum. (plus a few who reserved Oct.) So congrats if you actually get yours, since it means you jumped ahead of me and many other people in the AWD q by at least 6 months. When did you reserve and what trim and color did you reserve?

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,880 Posts
Here is the best order tracking for the AWD q that I have seen. From the 81 orders people have posted, there are only a few who got production yet and they are all reserved sep. to early oct.2020 so far:

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the link you posted, I find no evidence of that. The one person on reddit who got a VIN ordered in Sep 2020, same as people reporting VINs in this forum. (plus a few who reserved Oct.) So congrats if you actually get yours, since it means you jumped ahead of me and many other people in the AWD q by at least 6 months. When did you reserve and what trim and color did you reserve?
Apologies for "jumping ahead" but I have no control over that and didn't intend for this to be a thread to spark controversy. I'm simply another excited potential ID4 owner that was trying to figure out what my delivery expectation should be and provide other members some template for thinking about timing for their delivery.

I provided the incorrect link as I've been reading through many threads. This following link provides what anecdotal evidence I had previously alluded to regarding the reservation date not being the singular input that drives delivery times. Reference the comment by "jetglue" where other members concluded the same thing and provided additional anecdotal commentary which seems to support the conclusion.

FWIW, we ordered a moonstone gray Pro S gradient.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,880 Posts
That link is to the same spreadsheet I just posted above and its the best data yet. It shows that the only others with production were orders from Sep-Oct 2020. which contradicts what you are saying. (except for 1 guy in alabama who reserved Mar.) You still didn't say when you reserved.

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is the best order tracking for the AWD q that I have seen. From the 81 orders people have posted, there are only a few who got production yet and they are all reserved sep. to early oct.2020 so far:
Thanks. I believe this is the same sheet that was created from the revised reddit link I provided above. To be clear, I'm not saying that reservation date isn't a factor, I'm just saying it isn't the ONLY factor. As others have concluded, there seems to be a lean toward the higher trim level reservations. If we couple that with the speculation that they are group production by trim/color or any other feature, they may simply be knocking out the highest trim selections first THEN by reservation date. I'm unsure of what representation these forums constitute of all the ID4 reservations but based on the spreadsheet (80+ observations), would expect it is a pretty small subset of all AWD reservations.

Good luck to everyone that made a reservation and I hope you all get yours soon!

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That link is to the same spreadsheet I just posted above and its the best data yet. It shows that the only others with production were orders from Sep-Oct 2020. which contradicts what you are saying. (except for 1 guy in alabama who reserved Mar.) You still didn't say when you reserved.
Thanks for the warm welcome SunWizard! Maybe I'm reading too much into it, or maybe you aren't reading enough. My original post has the info that you claim I didn't provide. I would go as far as to state that the 1 guy in Alabama actually contradicts what YOU are saying but I'm not trying to ruffle any more feathers. I hope you get yours soon.

Feel free to reply to me if you still can't figure out from my original post when I reserved.

(y)

·
Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
2,502 Posts
Feel free to reply to me if you still can't figure out from my original post when I reserved.
I think you reserved in late May and it was confirmed in mid June? Anyway, I really don't think anyone will be mad at you if you receive your car before they do, but they will be upset at the process. Surely you can understand that. Anyway, I will be very surprised if you get your car before the folks that reserved last year. I hope all you guys get your cars soon. The ships are on the way or being loaded as we speak so these cars will soon be in your driveways!! Good luck to everyone!!

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,880 Posts
I get that you reserved late May, but considered that a little vague. You should add your order to that tracker spreadsheet since its fun to follow and it does give good clues about the process and timing that you are asking for here.

I just talked to my dealer and he said the system says Dec.15-31 for mine. This could make a tough decision for me if its a still a 2021 model that late in the year. But he also said that makes the odds of it being a 2022 model much higher, so I may get some benefit of a delay another month or 2 if that happens.

For any of us in the q its sort of a lottery anyhow, as I observed on FE and later on the Pros when they came out this year: A lot of the reservations end up canceling. If there were the right number in the q ahead of you who cancel with your exact color/trim, you get moved up the q quickly. Especially when many AWD are not loaded onto the trucks headed towards dealers yet. And then soon the next step will be dealers having cancelled AWD orders arrive on the lots too, but often try to mark them up more than they would on a reservation. Those who cancel after waiting a year are crazy, I still want mine!

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think you reserved in late May and it was confirmed in mid June? Anyway, I really don't think anyone will be mad at you if you receive your car before they do, but they will be upset at the process. Surely you can understand that. Anyway, I will be very surprised if you get your car before the folks that reserved last year. I hope all you guys get your cars soon. The ships are on the way or being loaded as we speak so these cars will soon be in your driveways!! Good luck to everyone!!
Hi Spin,

That’s right, I reserved in late May. Iwould be frustrated as well but would not take it out on anyone else orsuggest They were providing contradictory information. It’s not a big deal, my car will come when it comes. My excitement is what prompted the post, which I thought the community here could relate to.

if anyone is interested, based on my scouring of the forums, if you live in northern NJ, it should take 2-3 weeks for the car to get to the US, a week to get to the dealer and 24-48 hours for dealer prep. If this is right, I should expect delivery in early October. Dealer expects mid-October, which is close enough an approximation.

On another note, my dealer says they can’t see anymore information than I can but I’m not sure how true that is. Anyone know?

Thanks to anyone reading and good luck getting yours soon!

·
Blue ProS RWD is in my garage! Only took 187 days.
757 Posts
A friend of mine who deals with cross-ocean shipping said the ports of LA/Long Beach are backed up to a ridiculous level right now, so even if it left Germany it might take a while to get it landed here.

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A friend of mine who deals with cross-ocean shipping said the ports of LA/Long Beach are backed up to a ridiculous level right now, so even if it left Germany it might take a while to get it landed here.
Thanks, good information Eric Nay! Obviously many factors contribute to delivery timing so probably not even worthwhile for me to spend too much time trying to figure out when I should expect it.

That said, it actually has me wondering what the route to LA/Long Beach is for ID4s. This article seems to plot out the course expected for ID4s (in the graphic titled "World Premier...") to reach the Northern, Eastern, and Southern US regions but do ID4s just drop off at these ports and then they travel on land to California? Seems to be too inefficient to be possible that all ID4s would make it the rest of the way on land. I'm assuming this is only the course for the LNG ships but it raised an interesting question for me that I'll have to dig into.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts