Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm considering purchasing the 2022 id4 and wondering if anyone has driven their id4 from Denver up to the ski resorts. Can it make it in the winter? Does the mountain drive+cold weather drain the battery to spooky levels?

·
1,102 Posts
You figure on flat ground in perfect conditions at 55 mph or so you can go 300 miles. How far are the ski resorts? The key is to get there with just a few percent left on your battery because you will gain lots back on the way down. I have done that myself in other mountains in just below freezing weather but the first time you do it you have to overcome your fears.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You figure on flat ground in perfect conditions at 55 mph or so you can go 300 miles. How far are the ski resorts? The key is to get there with just a few percent left on your battery because you will gain lots back on the way down. I have done that myself in other mountains in just below freezing weather but the first time you do it you have to overcome your fears.
The ski resorts are about 70 miles away, with about 50 of that being up the mountain.

·
1,102 Posts
Hard to buy a car on just my guess but I think it will make it but you might want to try the minimum speed possible the first time and with limited heating. Although I really do think you could do it without doing those things. But I don’t know driving in Zero Degrees so some Northern drivers might be good to ask if it gets cold like that on the way up.

·
178 Posts
The ski resorts are about 70 miles away, with about 50 of that being up the mountain.
Starting with an 80% or higher charge, that seems doable. You’ll recover some battery on the trip back with regenerative braking.

You can try entering your route into A Better Route Planner and seeing what they say you’ll arrive at your destination with charge-wise. Of course you may lose a little more due to winter conditions and winds, but it’ll give you a good baseline.

·
31 Posts
There's a Youtube video of a guy reviewing the id4 and it's range while towing. The guy drives from Golden up to Idaho Springs and back down while towing a trailer. No problem.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro RWD since 6/21
477 Posts
Hey all, I'm considering purchasing the 2022 id4 and wondering if anyone has driven their id4 from Denver up to the ski resorts. Can it make it in the winter? Does the mountain drive+cold weather drain the battery to spooky levels?
Here's a datapoint for you from @Andystroh. It was a summertime drive and not to one of the ski mountains, but gives you an idea of what the elevation does to the GOM heading West from Denver.

·
137 Posts
The EA charger is actually at Frisco, and was completely out of service in the middle of winter (needed it in January to get over the hill to Denver). It really doesn't take much charge to get from there to Denver as it is about 12-15 miles (steeply up hill though!) to the top of the hill and then you can coast down to the plethora of chargers in the Denver area, the closest being at Colorado Mills (saw my first Rivian there!).

·
Premium Member
2021 VW ID.4 AWD
46 Posts
I did approximately 12 round-trips this past winter from North Denver to Keystone, Breckenridge, Vail, and Beaver Creek.

A couple times I returned over Loveland pass due to I-70 congestion. The Frisco EA station did occasionally have a charger out of service, though I never encountered them all out of service.

I also charged at a couple other locations, including the 50kw at the Vail Grand Hyatt.

Range is not a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts