Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have discovered that some Tesla Destination chargers have both a Tesla dedicated plug and a J1772 plug. So there would be no need for an adapter in order for an ID4 to use the charger. I found two of these at a Super 8 hotel in Russellville, Arkansas. Of course these are only 11 Kwh chargers, but it you are staying the night it would provide enough charge to get you down the road and it is free.

ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
Is it the same unit with a Tesla plug and a J1772 plug or two separate units? I know Tesla will install J1772 units at some locations but don't know their rationale. When I did see it, it would be multiple Tesla plugs and 1 or 2 J1772. There are plenty more J1772 locations than Tesla destination chargers but it always nice having an additional option with the Tesla adapter.

Reactions: Huey52

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it the same unit with a Tesla plug and a J1772 plug or two separate units? I know Tesla will install J1772 units at some locations but don't know their rationale. When I did see it, it would be multiple Tesla plugs and 1 or 2 J1772. There are plenty more J1772 locations than Tesla destination chargers but it always nice having an additional option with the Tesla adapter.
I really could not tell if there were two different units. The Tesla cord and plug came out of one side and the J1772 cord and plug came from the other side. On the Tesla side of the post there was a sign, "Tesla parking only." On the other side of the post the sign read, "Electric Vehicle parking only." These chargers may be unique to the area because there is only one other charger in the area and it is 20+ miles away, an EA station. About 50 miles away is a Charge point station and another Tesla destination charge station.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts