Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. Am i the only one that is at my second windshield after only 15000mi?? It seems that everything hitting the windshield makes a chip or a star. Windshield angle of attack? bad luck? cheap glass? One thing if for sure; here in Canada, windshields are impossible to find. Heavily back order. Any feelings? Thank you.

·
4 Posts
Hi everybody. Am i the only one that is at my second windshield after only 15000mi?? It seems that everything hitting the windshield makes a chip or a star. Windshield angle of attack? bad luck? cheap glass? One thing if for sure; here in Canada, windshields are impossible to find. Heavily back order. Any feelings? Thank you.
How close following distance do you or codriver keep from trucks or other cars, there has to be sufficient time for rocks and debris to bounce and lose momentum or it will hit windshield every time, My wife goes thru windshields like candy, this is an issue.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
following distance is taken care of. I drive this car like it was a crystal glass; tons of ten wheelers are on the road day and night around here though... I just find it fragile.

·
ID.4 GTX & Golf 1 Cabriolet
962 Posts
I assume simple chips get fixed?

And no: no issues whatsoever - it is neither weaker nor stronger than other windshields we have had. In fact, we got pummeled by a large stone and it only made a tiny chip.

·
Pro S Gradient RWD White / Black
526 Posts
Maybe the GTX / AWD windshield is stronger (heated windshield)?

My windshield (regular glass) is still good so far, but I do drive my ID.4 like porcelain / crystal glass 😁. When I am being chased by 10 wheelers I sped away, killing the range.

While charging at EA actually a few times I saw ID.4s (and Mach-Es) and with cracked windshield. So maybe its true. 🤷‍♂️

·
238 Posts
If you have the heated windshield, then yes, I think there is an issue. It's got more than one layer and I think the top layer is too thin to withstand typical hits. Mine cracked after a few thousand miles.

·
1,255 Posts
I've had the opposite luck--a couple of solid thwacks that I thought for sure were going to be cracks. I was amazed both times that there were no cracks under the stone dust. Not a heated windshield on my car.
I’ve had the same experience with mine, which does have a heated layer. (Which probably makes the glass stronger by adding an extra metal laminate.) But at the end of the day it’s a standard windshield made by the largest auto glass maker in the world (Saint Gobain). So it’s highly unlikely it’s any different than any other windshield. They all have to meet strict safety standards anyway. I think you’ve just been unlucky!

·
ID.4 GTX & Golf 1 Cabriolet
962 Posts
Maybe the GTX / AWD windshield is stronger (heated windshield)?

My windshield (regular glass) is still good so far, but I do drive my ID.4 like porcelain / crystal glass 😁. When I am being chased by 10 wheelers I sped away, killing the range.

While charging at EA actually a few times I saw ID.4s (and Mach-Es) and with cracked windshield. So maybe its true. 🤷‍♂️
It's possible - the thin silver film for heating could make a difference, but someone smarter than me would have to provode input on this one

·
953 Posts
If you have the heated windshield, then yes, I think there is an issue. It's got more than one layer and I think the top layer is too thin to withstand typical hits. Mine cracked after a few thousand miles.
All auto windshields are laminated (multi-layered). They have two layers of safety glass bonded around usually a clear plastic layer that may or may not include other things like chemicals for windshield heating or heating elements. This is why windshields only crack rather than shattering into a million little pieces when a rock or something of sufficient size hits them on the road. If you hit a windshield with, say, an ice axe, you’ll just spider some cracks across it. If you did the same thing to the single layer safety glass of your side window, you’ll shatter it into a bunch of small pieces.

·
999 Posts
So far no issues here, though I have the AWD Pro S windshield. Only 1 'thwack' that I recall from a 700 mile round trip last week and don't even notice where it struck.

I'm going to guess that you are just having bad luck. Pretty sure that the metal 'layer' is on the inside of the glass as well, so standard repairs on the outside should be fine from what I recall in the manual.

·
Moonstone Gray Pro S
148 Posts
I think the ID.4 could use a better windshield. At around 4500 miles, mine picked up a rock chip near the top edge and it almost immediately started traveling. Now @ 5800 miles, it has gone down the right side of the camera housing and has made a J turn under the housing.
I'm leaving it for now as it doesn't really affect my driving and we will be on the road more during the warmer months. When I got the windows tinted, I had ceramic put on the windshield. That might actually be keeping the crack from traveling quickly.
Another reason I'm holding off is because my deductible is $1000. That's a lot but the window replacement including camera calibration and ceramic tint replacement is twice that.

·
999 Posts
Just asking, are you sure it's the same deductible for the glass replacement? Most comprehensive plans I've used include glass replacement with a $0 deductible in my experience.

Another reason I'm holding off is because my deductible is $1000. That's a lot but the window replacement including camera calibration and ceramic tint replacement is twice that.

·
238 Posts
I was doing an experiment in my garage and pressing on the outside layer of the windshield with my finger and watching the reflection change. Seemed like it didn't require much pressure to deflect -- i think it's pretty thin on the top layer.

·
1,098 Posts
I've had to replace my windshield after a trip through Houston construction traffic. As usual it was being passed by a jacked up pickup without mud flaps. The chip was

·
Moonstone Gray Pro S
148 Posts
Just asking, are you sure it's the same deductible for the glass replacement? Most comprehensive plans I've used include glass replacement with a $0 deductible in my experience.
Unless I'm mistaken about window replacement, I thought it comes under Comprehensive. I just looked my coverage and window replacement doesn't show up in the coverage list but comprehensive does and that's $1000. That is by choice to keep the policy payment lower. So basically, I'm banking by money and hoping my windshield stays intact.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,880 Posts
Most comprehensive plans I've used include glass replacement with a $0 deductible in my experience.
That depends on your state laws. Some states require $0 ded., and you are likely in one of those. Some states like CO offer $0 ded. for a small added fee, and you have to ask for it, and its totally worth it since for mine it only added like $5 per year. Check with your insurance agent. Some states and some insurance companies don't offer it. Florida, South Carolina, and Kentucky waive the deductible for windshield replacement. Arizona, Connecticut, Minnesota, and New York and some other states are required to offer a zero deductible glass repair policy.

·
Moonstone Gray Pro S
148 Posts
That depends on your state laws. Some states require $0 ded., and you are likely in one of those. Some states like CO offer $0 ded. for a small added fee, and you have to ask for it, and its totally worth it since for mine it only added like $5 per year. Check with your insurance agent. Some states and some insurance companies don't offer it. Florida, South Carolina, and Kentucky waive the deductible for windshield replacement. Arizona, Connecticut, Minnesota, and New York and some other states are required to offer a zero deductible glass repair policy.
Well, you got me curious enough to call and confirm what I said about my deductible. I am correct.

·
999 Posts
Yes, in my policy it comes under 'other comprehensive'. It has this note:

Font Rectangle Screenshot Terrestrial plant Parallel

South Carolina where I lived a decade ago didn't either.

Here is a website I found that appear to be a pretty comprehensive list. Zero Deductible Windshield Replacement - Glass.com

Anyhow, as @SunWizard notes, if it's not mandatory where you live, might be worth asking what the difference is. $5 every 6 months, even over 5 years is a lot cheaper than one $1k deductible. :)

Unless I'm mistaken about window replacement, I thought it comes under Comprehensive. I just looked my coverage and window replacement doesn't show up in the coverage list but comprehensive does and that's $1000. That is by choice to keep the policy payment lower. So basically, I'm banking by money and hoping my windshield stays intact.

·
Premium Member
2021 Pro S Gradient AWD
625 Posts
More likely random bad luck. I recently got a used Q5 with a brand new windshield. On Day 3 it was struck by a stone on the freeway and got the star cracking thing.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts