Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
1,086 Posts
I've had the opposite luck--a couple of solid thwacks that I thought for sure were going to be cracks. I was amazed both times that there were no cracks under the stone dust. Not a heated windshield on my car.
Same here. Sheer surprise after the last rock hit and no star or nothing. There was a flying crushed aluminum can recently too that I think hit the VW windscreen but nada. Ready to try bullets soon….

·
Pro S Gradient RWD White / Black
522 Posts
My insurance, the $0 deductible comprehensive is only like $10 per month extra. I thought with all those glass panels everywhere, its a matter of when not if :D However in a year I had not needed it for the glass panels yet, but It already paid off several times over when I dented my ID.4, twice :D.

·
447 Posts
State Farm does not cover rock chips with zero deductible, that I know from experience. My rock chip repair place gives us $10 off for the service, because they feel sorry for us.

Dave

·
Pro S Gradient RWD White / Black
522 Posts
State Farm does not cover rock chips with zero deductible, that I know from experience. My rock chip repair place gives us $10 off for the service, because they feel sorry for us.

Dave
Hmm, thats weird. A year ago they said they cover any windshield / glass damage with the comprehensive $0 deductible (thats why I got them)... maybe I need to call...

·
Moonstone Gray Pro S
148 Posts
More likely random bad luck. I recently got a used Q5 with a brand new windshield. On Day 3 it was struck by a stone on the freeway and got the star cracking thing.
Oh, I agree! It is totally random bad luck. The problem I see with the ID.4 windshield is the same problem that I've seen with other VW's that I have owned. The windshields are too vulnerable to cracking. Other cars I've owned got rock chips that never spread.
My insurance company will pay to "repair" a windshield if the glass company deems it repairable. Chips are repairable but if the crack goes more than 3 inches it has to be replaced.

·
1,086 Posts
I have owned 5 VW’s and only needed one windshield replaced because I hit a driveway at an angle at too high a speed and cracked it down the middle. 😇 And I never had a star that needed repairing. 3 MkIV’s, a MKVII , and now 9 months of driving my ID.4 for 14,000 miles over all types of roads. Tough in my book.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,253 Posts
My similar experience. So yes, it does have a lot to do with the actual debris-impact "angle of attack." And luck ....
I've had the opposite luck--a couple of solid thwacks that I thought for sure were going to be cracks. I was amazed both times that there were no cracks under the stone dust. Not a heated windshield on my car.

·
1,248 Posts
Here’s a slight tangent, but related to road debris… the most dangerous / dumbest thing I ever had to avoid on the road was the roof panel from a Jeep Wrangler that someone tried to open while driving at highway speed… the entire panel flew up and away from the car and went hurtling towards my Subaru. I was in the left lane and they were in the center lane, but I saw it in time and moved left and it crashed to the ground where the passenger side of my car would have been, only gently kissing the passenger door. (The marks buffed out and didn’t leave a dent.)

·
First Edition RWD Dusk Blue - Blucifer
7 Posts
try driving a jeep or honda element...those windshields LOVE to get cracks in them. ID4 is much better than that haha...

·
5 Posts
I was hit by what sounded like a boulder, dead center of my windshield. Didn't see an immediate crack but figured there had to be a pit mark to deal with. Got home, wiped it down with some windex and no sign of any damage. I think you may just be unlucky!

·
6 Posts
20k miles on my ID 4 and two windshield chips, which buns me out. Will get repaired soon to avoid them developing into cracks. Always use shortest selectable distance and dynamic cruise control, so VW software is choosing a safe, not overly aggressive following distance (but still gives meet some aero advantages).

·
997 Posts
Should be in your policy if you look. Maybe @wildpitcher doesn't have glass coverage?? Or maybe State Farm sells different levels of glass coverage. I've never used them.

Here is an excerpt from my actual policy document (I live in Florida, where $0 glass coverage is required to be provided with all comprehensive policies as noted elsewhere in their thread).

Smile Font Circle Number Rectangle

Hmm, thats weird. A year ago they said they cover any windshield / glass damage with the comprehensive $0 deductible (thats why I got them)... maybe I need to call...

·
997 Posts
Yes, here in CO and many states its optional for a small extra cost and you have to ask for 0 deductible for glass.
Yeah, I was just wondering if somehow you could buy 'replacement only' glass coverage with no repair option.

Seems @wildpitcher is suggesting that their State Farm policy didn't cover repairs. That would be true if there was no coverage at all (your base case in Colorado). But it seems odd to me that if you elected to pay for glass coverage that such would only cover replacement and not cover repairs to the same.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,879 Posts
My state farm policy in CO covers repairs, I had a chip repair about a year ago on my jeep with same coverages. Maybe because I chose the $0 deductible glass.

·
18 Posts
Yes, we had the same problem. In our case it was an incredibly small piece of debris that hit low down on the windscreen. A crack grew quickly to halfway across. Insurance will cover it, but it's a big job because there is a camera adjustment protocol. I've had plenty of rocks hitting windscreens in the past, but I was genuinely surprised by this one. I guess time will tell if the Id.4 is especially vulnerable. By the way, I'll be leaving Vwidtalk soon. We just transferred our lease to someone. Nothing to do with the Id.4... We had our complaints but over-all it was the best automobile experience I've ever had and once we're in a position to afford another Id.4 or something like it, we'll be back.

·
997 Posts
Yeah, I posted some samples of what that calibration process looks like in another thread yesterday here: (151) Windshield Woe | Page 3 | Volkswagen ID Forum (vwidtalk.com)

Cracks should only need a recalibration if the crack happens in the FOV of the camera. Full glass replacement though you are looking at a full camera calibration. According to the person in that thread you also have to have a VW tech clear error codes before the glass can be done as well as apparently the car throws codes that aren't reported when the windshield is removed.

Yes, we had the same problem. In our case it was an incredibly small piece of debris that hit low down on the windscreen. A crack grew quickly to halfway across. Insurance will cover it, but it's a big job because there is a camera adjustment protocol. I've had plenty of rocks hitting windscreens in the past, but I was genuinely surprised by this one. I guess time will tell if the Id.4 is especially vulnerable. By the way, I'll be leaving Vwidtalk soon. We just transferred our lease to someone. Nothing to do with the Id.4... We had our complaints but over-all it was the best automobile experience I've ever had and once we're in a position to afford another Id.4 or something like it, we'll be back.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts