Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ID.4 Pro Performance
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from the dealer after a misshapen when putting a set of airpod's in the backseat, and dropping them under the seat. It's not uncommon to lose a coin or other stuff down into where the buckle is fastened. But a design "feature" in the ID.4 let's this items drop even into a second "stage", which is very hard to reach. Thanks to @RocketVol for helping me out with a description to get the backseat off. But under the seat it is also a carpet hiding a lot of insulation, and here there is not much room to get two fingers down.

The solution to getting the aiupod out, was to bend up the carpet, starting from the doorside. This required alot of force. More force then I felt comfortable on my own. The mecanics at VW did have more currage, and we got the airpod's out :)

I found a solution to the problem by stuffing this gap with i.e. subwoofer carpet, preventing loosing more smal items down there.

·
1 Posts
Run into the exact same problem today on my new ID4. Not sure if this is a 'feature'... as it's impossible to get anything out once it falls through the crack. I inspected with an endoscope and found the item above the 'white insulation' and under the metal frame of the backseat (not just the cushion, but under the black metal frame, the second stage as you mentioned), about 30cm away from the seatbelt crack horizontally. 🤣

Could you provide more details on how to remove the carpet? Do I remove the seat first? Do you recommend getting to the vw mechanics or this can be done by oneself?

Thanks!!

I just came back from the dealer after a misshapen when putting a set of airpod's in the backseat, and dropping them under the seat. It's not uncommon to lose a coin or other stuff down into where the buckle is fastened. But a design "feature" in the ID.4 let's this items drop even into a second "stage", which is very hard to reach. Thanks to @RocketVol for helping me out with a description to get the backseat off. But under the seat it is also a carpet hiding a lot of insulation, and here there is not much room to get two fingers down.

The solution to getting the aiupod out, was to bend up the carpet, starting from the doorside. This required alot of force. More force then I felt comfortable on my own. The mecanics at VW did have more currage, and we got the airpod's out :)

I found a solution to the problem by stuffing this gap with i.e. subwoofer carpet, preventing loosing more smal items down there.

View attachment 4369

View attachment 4368

·
159 Posts
Run into the exact same problem today on my new ID4. Not sure if this is a 'feature'... as it's impossible to get anything out once it falls through the crack. I inspected with an endoscope and found the item above the 'white insulation' and under the metal frame of the backseat (not just the cushion, but under the black metal frame, the second stage as you mentioned), about 30cm away from the seatbelt crack horizontally. 🤣

Could you provide more details on how to remove the carpet? Do I remove the seat first? Do you recommend getting to the vw mechanics or this can be done by oneself?

Thanks!!
If you are skilled with tools yes...and i would try other ways before taking seat...if you go after seat removal there will be enough wiggle room for carpet to take it out carefully.

·
28 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I'm hoping for lots more camping trips with the grandkids, hence any number of little treasures to be sent down those rabbit holes!

·
ID.4 Pro Performance
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks!!
Hi!

You need to remove the seat first. There is two clips in the front of the seat witch is hard to loosen. Search for Backseat in this forum and you will find a pdf. One connection needs to be disconnected. The carpet can be lifted from the left or right, but it is hard to do. You need to use some force but it's not glued. It don't bend easily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts