Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
38 Posts
It also has a "minimum charge" setting but I've never been able to figure out what that does. Perhaps it provides a trickle-like charge that will keep the thermal management system operating?
"Minimal charge means that your car will charge to the minimal charge value before it begins it's regular charging schedule."

So say you pull up to your EVSE in the early afternoon and you have 15% SOC or an estimated 11.5 kWh in the battery pack. You also have time of use schedule in play. It charges automatically from 12:00 AM - 7:00 AM. You also have minimal charge set to 23 kWh (about 30% SOC). You pull out your JuiceBox app and you set the current SOC in the app to that value. You then go and plug in and because you set the SOC it sees that you are below the current minimal charge and will meter out about 11.5 kWh. Enough to get you above the 20% SOC range to keep the battery healthy and maybe enough to be safe if you were to have to run out for something. Once it puts that amount in, it will turn off and wait for the normal time of use schedule to activate to provide power to whatever values you set or the car stops requesting for power.

·
787 Posts
To satisfy owners
HV Battery
Operating temperature range is
-18°F to 140°F (-28°C to 60°C).
On point with Tesla chemistry but VW algorithm will not allow temperature rise to almost 60°C before it will kick in compressor cooling.
There will be orange 🐢 if close to this threshold limits.....red🐢 if below and it will not let you move until onboard coolant heater brings it to Operating temperature. In extreme conditions if very low on SOC and temperature conditions are extreme It will require L1 or L2 charger to heat or cool HV Battery and engage HV interlock to start charging or discharging ( driving).
Regarding some owners who posted about charging Battery when very cold, it will not use full power even if connected to 48A L2 charger. ...it will switch to specific mode (im not allowed to discuss)and keep heater on and coolant pump to bring HV Battery temp. As temperature is rising it will switch on HV interlock and start trough 3 different charging stages before initiate normal operation and full current availability from EVSE.
Some people who are after more digging could research various different types of charging types used.
Onboard AC-DC inverter has more capabilities than what most people think about inverter.
Regarding Tesla approach for battery heating they use electric motors some you tubers hear humming sound( they stall the rotor while they applying electricity to the stator and use oil pump and oil to coolant heat exchanger in loop with heat bottle to warm the battery) this is from cost perspective cheaper but it is less efficient than dedicated coolant heater for battery.
So there Is definitely nothing to worry about harsh winter. .....
And Max discharge current for 82kwh battery pack is 800 amps ( run across some posts)
Full 100% pedal to the metal will start 30 second timer and after that it will start dialing down current available to AWD ID4.
Full current availability will be affected with SOC battery temperature and other things that BMS is constantly looking for.
And this isalso true for Tesla ( but Tesla doesn't run timer, instead they use on demand power available to the motor inverters (same thing different approach))

·
70 Posts
Thank you for your posts. I truly appreciate your knowledge of these vehicles and how they are designed. I think the ID.4 forum is very lucky to have someone like you contributing here.(y)

·
796 Posts
As @SunWizard points out, it appears no active battery management if not plugged or in operation. I can confirm during crazy heat wave (110+) we got in the pacific nw this summer that I never heard the fans turn on while it sat in my driveway unplugged.

I only plug in to charge at EA stations every few days. I wonder if I am doing damage by not having it plugged in when not in use..
These pictures are meant for @surprising .
He will understand. Can't post pictures in PM.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive exhaust Automotive design

21 - 24 of 24 Posts