Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are trying to buy an ID.4, just trying to figure out which version to get. The dealership is not being helpful (she thinks the difference between FE and Pro is that the Pro has AWD.) Does this make sense that they have 4 1st Editions available? Here is the link to their inventory: New Volkswagen Dealer in Canton, CT | Near Hartford

I am trying to decided between FE, Pro and Pro S. I want to be able to have a bike rake on the hitch. Does that mean I should get on of these FE?

ID.4 Pro S Dusk Blue w/Black
They may have ordered them, or customers ordered but then canceled. In my opinion, the only advantage to the FE is the addition of two-tone color. It has larger wheels, which I see as a negative - just makes snow tires even more expensive. I'm not familiar with tow hitches but I would assume it can be added to any model.

You have to be careful with dealership inventory as some may already be pending sales to reservation holders.

Your choices are:
Get an FE which has a trailer hitch
Get a RWD Pro or Pro S and wait for an aftermarket or VW accessory trailer hitch to become available
Reserve an AWD which comes with a trailer hitch.

Reactions: Gamepoch64

Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You have to be careful with dealership inventory as some may already be pending sales to reservation holders.

Your choices are:
Get an FE which has a trailer hitch
Get a RWD Pro or Pro S and wait for an aftermarket or VW accessory trailer hitch to become available
Reserve an AWD which comes with a trailer hitch.
Ok, thanks! I will check. I know that we drove the FE because it had the hitch, so there's at least the one.

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
The FE has ~$3k of "free" options included, so there's that as well.
Now, if those options are not desired then it's a moot point, e.g. I'll likely never use my hitch-attachment capability (but it does make for another nice hold-down if needed).
Wouldn't you be getting dedicated snow rims/tires in a smaller diameter anyway if even considering same? Swapping tires on the same rims seasonally is even more of a headache than swapping sets, imho (I've done the latter for many years).
Just some counterpoints, as I typically do. ;)

They may have ordered them, or customers ordered but then canceled. In my opinion, the only advantage to the FE is the addition of two-tone color. It has larger wheels, which I see as a negative - just makes snow tires even more expensive. I'm not familiar with tow hitches but I would assume it can be added to any model.

My dealer in Upstate NY had 4 until I bought one. They have 3 black FEs left, $1529 under MSRP right now. Might be worth a look, unless you have state incentives that require purchase in the same state. (If anyone's interested, PM me for the salesman's name)

The Pro and Pro S have a different rear cross bar that doesn鈥檛 have the hitch mounting points so the install is going to be closer to an hour as you will need to remove the rear bumper and swap the bar. I did not see a trailer wiring harness so that would be extra time if required. Not everyone needs the harness but it sounds like it disables backup sensors that will otherwise be an issue reversing with a bike or possibly just a rack behind the car.

if you don鈥檛 have someone to swap with the process will probably cost close to a grand to do yourself Until there is an aftermarket option. I have seen the VW cross bar at $780 alone. It might be easier to swap wheels with another owner if the rest of the FE matches your style.

The Pro and Pro S have a different rear cross bar that doesn鈥檛 have the hitch mounting points so the install is going to be closer to an hour as you will need to remove the rear bumper and swap the bar. I did not see a trailer wiring harness so that would be extra time if required. Not everyone needs the harness but it sounds like it disables backup sensors that will otherwise be an issue reversing with a bike or possibly just a rack behind the car.

if you don鈥檛 have someone to swap with the process will probably cost close to a grand to do yourself Until there is an aftermarket option. I have seen the VW cross bar at $780 alone. It might be easier to swap wheels with another owner if the rest of the FE matches your style.
You鈥檙e right - I just saw the other post with pics of the Pro crossbar. Darn! VW had to make this a tricky one鈥

Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Ok, thanks! The wheels were not on my radar as a concern. What are the pros/cons of smaller versus bigger?

You鈥檙e right - I just saw the other post with pics of the Pro crossbar. Darn! VW had to make this a tricky one鈥
Yeah, I ride MTB and have a bike on my Kuat Transfer twice a week. I鈥檝e gotten a lot of comments from people that have never seen a hitch on a Veloster and with the Rally edition i needed to cut plastic to mount it but it was only around $130 from Kurt. I鈥檓 worried at what it will cost me and how much of a pain it will be with the ID.4. A member has already said it locks up the brakes when he reverses with the rack on unless he disables sensors. One has to be turned off each time 5e car starts.

Ok, thanks! The wheels were not on my radar as a concern. What are the pros/cons of smaller versus bigger?
Larger wheels have less sidewall exposed (lower profile or lopro) giving less flex in corners for a tighter ride but less squishy over bumps. A smaller wheel with the same size tire give you a more comfortable ride but less sporty handling. Some people really prefer the larger wheel look but it is also easier to damage on curbs so it鈥檚 not a good look for drivers that are kinda sloppy like myself. All four of the wheels on my current car have curb rash but the passenger side is pretty bad.

Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess the other reason I was confused about what model this was initially was that I thought the MSRP for the FE was $43,995 and this is set at $45,524. Should the MSRP be $43,995?

Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My dealer in Upstate NY had 4 until I bought one. They have 3 black FEs left, $1529 under MSRP right now. Might be worth a look, unless you have state incentives that require purchase in the same state. (If anyone's interested, PM me for the salesman's name)
Did you get it for $43,995 instead of $45,524? I don't think I would go to Upstate NY to buy - I'm trying to figure out what the MSRP is actually supposed to be, since VW says $43,995 for FE.

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
FE MSRP plus the destination charge is the source of this confusion for many (myself at a point as well).
Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 9.28.39 AM.png
I guess the other reason I was confused about what model this was initially was that I thought the MSRP for the FE was $43,995 and this is set at $45,524. Should the MSRP be $43,995?

MSRP for FE is $43995+1195=$45190. Those you linked may have some add ons. Note that dealer is charging much more than the current VW credit rate of 1.99% for 60mo.

Super Moderator
The FE available at Donaldsons in Sayville, NY has a MSRP of $45524. It has the Protection Package option that adds $334

FE MSRP plus the destination charge is the source of this confusion for many (myself at a point as well).
View attachment 3307
What do you get for $50 prepaid scheduled maintenance! Can鈥檛 rotate tires. Cabin filter?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts