Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

ID.4 AWD PRO S Gradient, Kings Red
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started today, drivers door handle lock sensor (triangle to lock the car) not working anymore. Passenger side works just fine! Issue just started today, it was working fine for two weeks since I've received the vehicle. No matter how I touch the triangle sensor door won't lock no matter what. Any lighter touch on the passenger side will lock the car just fine. Cleaned the whole handle and sensor twice no good. Really annoying! Anyone has ideas, suggestions, similar issues? This is not my first car with capacitive door handle lock sensor so let's eliminate operator error of the bat! Also no dirt, moisture or any type of residue in the handle. Does not matter if the FOB is outside or inside the pocket. Again any type of usage scenario on the passenger door works fine. Bad driver door sensor, software issue?

1 Posts
As I always say, disconnect 12v battery for 10 minutes, cures just about everything, resets everything.

May have a few warnings after reconnecting, but they will go away after a short drive, stop and lock car for an hour and all will be well.
Hi, I do have the same issue n I tried disconnecting even for 15min, but nothing happened handle sensor still doesn’t work.😕

179 Posts
so it seems unpredictable when the driver's side handle responds...the passenger one will lock / unlock 99 pct of the time, while the driver's side appears to ignore me about 50 pct of the time...time to take into dealer!

179 Posts
Update: After trying different techniques / angles / methods of touching the small spot on the handle to lock the door, I have discovered the root cause why my driver's side door responds differently than the passenger side door: touch duration. When lightly pressing the driver's side door for just a fraction of a second longer, the lock works every time. In contrast, the passenger side door sensor requires barely a touch. Not sure what the "correct" specification is for either door or if there is a purposeful slightly longer delay required for the driver's side door. I still will take this into the service center just to verify if this is expected behavior.

2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
443 Posts
Update: After trying different techniques / angles / methods of touching the small spot on the handle to lock the door, I have discovered the root cause why my driver's side door responds differently than the passenger side door: touch duration. When lightly pressing the driver's side door for just a fraction of a second longer, the lock works every time. In contrast, the passenger side door sensor requires barely a touch. Not sure what the "correct" specification is for either door or if there is a purposeful slightly longer delay required for the driver's side door. I still will take this into the service center just to verify if this is expected behavior.
Ooh now that's interesting. On mine both sides require that slightly longer touch, I would love if it could be an actual quick tap though...

1,498 Posts
My car joined this club Friday(ish).

The “Triangle Sensor” switch on the driver's side door on my 2021 AWD Pro S has always been touchy but it has now packed it in completely. I'm pretty sure it's not my finger being too bloodless in the cold because 1) the exact same finger making the exact same gesture on the passenger-side door works fine and 2) other fingers and other sorts of touches/swipes don't work on the driver's side door either.

1,498 Posts
My car joined this club Friday(ish).

The “Triangle Sensor” switch on the driver's side door on my 2021 AWD Pro S has always been touchy but it has now packed it in completely. I'm pretty sure it's not my finger being too bloodless in the cold because 1) the exact same finger making the exact same gesture on the passenger-side door works fine and 2) other fingers and other sorts of touches/swipes don't work on the driver's side door either.
And yesterday afternoon (not morning, afternoon), the sensor started working again and has worked reliably the several times I've used it since then.

So: Flakey hardware? Flakey software? And will it hard-fail again the day after the warranty expires? I think I'll still mention it to the dealer if only so it becomes a note in the record.

2023 id.4 Pro S AWD
324 Posts
Similar issue observed in 2023. Driver side is less touchy and doesn't always lock and you have to hold it for 1-2 seconds. Passenger side works perfectly and instantly. This will be a pain to prove to dealer. I hope it just stops working entirely.

Reactions: Atlant

ID.4 GTX & Golf 1 Cabriolet
1,209 Posts
Started today, drivers door handle lock sensor (triangle to lock the car) not working anymore. Passenger side works just fine! Issue just started today, it was working fine for two weeks since I've received the vehicle. No matter how I touch the triangle sensor door won't lock no matter what. Any lighter touch on the passenger side will lock the car just fine. Cleaned the whole handle and sensor twice no good. Really annoying! Anyone has ideas, suggestions, similar issues? This is not my first car with capacitive door handle lock sensor so let's eliminate operator error of the bat! Also no dirt, moisture or any type of residue in the handle. Does not matter if the FOB is outside or inside the pocket. Again any type of usage scenario on the passenger door works fine. Bad driver door sensor, software issue?
When I have washed the car (with a wax finish), if it is covered in heavy rain drops or ice, mine do not work too well either - but a back-hand or wiping them clean first, usually works.

I guess the sensors are somewhat weak, a bit like the sensor in the back for the hatch.

1,498 Posts
When I have washed the car (with a wax finish), if it is covered in heavy rain drops or ice, mine do not work too well either - but a back-hand or wiping them clean first, usually works.

I guess the sensors are somewhat weak, a bit like the sensor in the back for the hatch.
I rubbed the area clean (of road salt, mostly) before concluding that it wasn't working.

1,498 Posts
And yesterday afternoon (not morning, afternoon), the sensor started working again and has worked reliably the several times I've used it since then.

So: Flakey hardware? Flakey software? And will it hard-fail again the day after the warranty expires? I think I'll still mention it to the dealer if only so it becomes a note in the record.
Dead again this morning. Of note was the fact that the door handle was slightly damp from the dew so maybe the capacitive touch sensor fails when there's conductive dew on the handle? I tried to wipe it dry with my fingers but it remained broken. Maybe I'll carry a tissue and try more aggressive wiping but I think that this sensor is marginal at best and the dealer needs to dew, err, do something about it.

ID.4 GTX & Golf 1 Cabriolet
1,209 Posts
Dead again this morning. Of note was the fact that the door handle was slightly damp from the dew so maybe the capacitive touch sensor fails when there's conductive dew on the handle? I tried to wipe it dry with my fingers but it remained broken. Maybe I'll carry a tissue and try more aggressive wiping but I think that this sensor is marginal at best and the dealer needs to dew, err, do something about it.
It's rather unpredictable: sometimes, it works no matter the conditions; other times, not at all.

I'm starting to suspect it may have to do with the (lack) of recognition of the key fob, as the auto-unlock is equally dodgy at times.

1,498 Posts
It's rather unpredictable: sometimes, it works no matter the conditions; other times, not at all.

I'm starting to suspect it may have to do with the (lack) of recognition of the key fob, as the auto-unlock is equally dodgy at times.
That's an interesting thought; I'll experiment with that.

I ASSUME that if I take the fob out of my pocket and the LED on the fob is blinking that the car and the fob are successfully in communication?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts