Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking about what to look for in accessory lists on Wed morning.

It sounds like adaptive cruise control (automatically adjusting to a lower speed of a car ahead) might be standard

There are usually two lane keep functions (I do not know about VW), a warning if you drive (like a chime), or active steering to hold center. It sounds like "lane keep" might be standard, but not sure what that provides. Also, the ID.3 brochure lists a -Comfort drive “Travel Assist”, lane keeping system “Lane Assist”-; no idea what that might offer over a more basic function, or if it even might apply to a U.S. ID.4? (In many models/makes it just ping pongs off lane edges, but some like Honda actually do a good job of holding lane center in highway driving. I think VW is comparable to the useful Honda system).

Finally, Lane change assistant “Side Assist” (I think) are the yellow lights inside the ID.4 side mirrors as blind spot warning indicators. In the ID.3, it might only be on the third level trim.

·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry about the double post, I tried to create a new thread earlier, and I got hold/blocked.

Made a little progress, maybe those already with VWs know more. Anyway -

It looks like side assist works by small radars in both rear quarters in the rear bumper. So, with side alert for passing (blind spot), I think you get rear cross track alerts (for backing out of head in parking, like at malls). Maybe only SEL, we will see.

I still don't completely get lane assist versus travel assist, but it might be (?) lane assist just keeps you from swerving out of a lane with the nudge (totally not sure about this), and travel assist is the keep your hands on the wheel, an it mostly steers for you, at least out on the highway (like Honda has, which works very well). Travel assist might (?) also use the side assist and possibly other sensors? But, if you want something close to driver assisted highway driving, it's probably a SEL trim (TBD). Some might feel strongly against these features, others have grown to love them (guilty).

At least EU, they mention reading speed signs. No idea if we will have that option. I could see it maybe to help avoid accidental speeding tickets where two lane highways go from 55 to 30 in places, but in general if one drives exactly the speed limit in the U.S. that will probably annoy a lot of people. Hopefully it can be disabled, or set to "+5" or "+10", probably not (if the feature even exists), but that would nice for real world U.S. driving.

Heads up display, speed, nav, arrows, etc, displayed up on the windshield might (?) be in with the SEL trim, if they follow the ID.3 model. I'm intrigued by the idea, but never had it.

There are a bunch of ID.3 videos, including on travel assist, if anyone speaks Norwegian (?)

·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I stopped by another dealership this morning. FWIW, they said there is no "travel assist" in the U.S., so the ID.3 EU brochure may be of limited use. Likely, there will be some explanation of features tomorrow on the reservation pages.

He said it's a while before you "lock in" your individual car following the reservation, but as far as he knows, the order is set by the reservations tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts