Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
170 Posts
I'm probably spoilt by now with different brake behavior but it did feel off to me. With eTron, I know pretty well to expect in terms of regen and mechanical brakes kicking in. I could not get the similar behavior / feeling in ID.4. A personal opinion, nothing more.

·
2018 Chevy Volt
30 Posts
Have you tried the ID 3? I wonder if that smaller version wouldn't feel closer to what you are looking for. Of course, the interior is going to be the same or similar so if that's not your cup of herring (sorry, my wife is Swedish so I feel I can make fish jokes).
I really wish the ID3 was available here in America. It would be one of my top choices.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Have you tried the ID 3? I wonder if that smaller version wouldn't feel closer to what you are looking for. Of course, the interior is going to be the same or similar so if that's not your cup of herring (sorry, my wife is Swedish so I feel I can make fish jokes).
I did drive the ID3 a while back and liked it well enough. However the lack of a roof rack is a dealbreaker for me since I like kayaking. Also I'd like the larger battery but then it's only available as a 4 seater and I have three kids.

·
108 Posts
I did drive the ID3 a while back and liked it well enough. However the lack of a roof rack is a dealbreaker for me since I like kayaking. Also I'd like the larger battery but then it's only available as a 4 seater and I have three kids.
VW changed the specs for the ID.3 and the larger battery does come with 5 seats after all.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
VW changed the specs for the ID.3 and the larger battery does come with 5 seats after all.

Still can't be ordered here in Sweden. Looks like you lose AR and some other things if you get the 5 seater?

Either way, not going to be able to haul my kayak inside it exactly so unfortunately...

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thought I'd post an update here. Ended up canceling the order this week, thankfully the dealer had agreed to put in a cancellation clause when I ordered since none were available to test drive yet (otherwise I would've ended up like someone on the local forum who was faced with taking the car or canceling and paying 7% of the price as a penalty). Drove a couple of different ID4s and while they seem very well built and all the performance/range tests show that VW didn't exaggerate anything, well, it just wasn't for me.

Basically I started looking at why I thought I wanted/needed the ID4. The big sellings points to me had been the amount of space / cargo capacity and very good fast charging. But reviewing what I actually use my car for it dawned on me that it really isn't very often I have more than one other person with me, and using A Better Route Planner I saw that even on the longest trips (8+ hour drive to Norway) I might end up saving something like 30 minutes over say a Kia e-Niro or Hyundai Kona. So I'd really been basing my "needs" on what I thought I needed, not how I will actually be using it.

And it really felt too big and heavy to drive. Both the Niro and Kona felt much more nimble and responsive (they weigh 400kg less and have 100Nm more torque) despite being objectively "worse" cars if you do a strict comparison.

So I will probably shop for a 2020 demo Niro. They can be had for a reasonable amount and have 3-phase charging and app support. I'll lose out on the tow hook but we have one on the Passat GTE and really only tow our trailer to the dump every couple of weeks so that is fine. But I'll get buttons for things, which I really prefer.

I hope you guys really enjoy the car though, I honestly can't say anything bad about it. But it was just not the right vehicle for me. I kept thinking the pros of carrying capacity and fast charging would outweigh the cons of it feeling large/bulky, heavy, and lack of buttons. But the pros really weren't that important in the end.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
794 Posts
If you really didn't like it then you're not likely going to "grow into" liking it and therefore shouldn't buy. First impressions are typically pretty good indicators.

edit: You made the proper choice for You. 👍

However, I too thought it was bigger than anticipated. In fact my only 'surprise' in that regard. However that was one item I addressed in my test drive and found that it handled great, with an outstanding turning radius, and easily parked for an SUV. That 'extra' volume has already proved of worth to me in several loads of lumber & gardening supplies.

I would still say that VW was/is accurate in citing it being smaller than a Tiguan, but not by much.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
626 Posts
However, I too thought it was bigger than anticipated. In fact my only 'surprise' in that regard. However that was one item I addressed in my test drive and found that it handled great, with an outstanding turning radius, and easily parked for an SUV. That 'extra' volume has already proved of worth to me in several loads of lumber & gardening supplies.
Yeah, I found it bigger than I expected either. My previous car was a Kona, and that was frustrating in terms of limited cargo space. If I look at the actual specs, the ID.4 is similar to the Volvo V60 (that I owned before the Kona) in length and width, but the ID.4 is quite a bit taller. That sort of creates an optical illusion of additional size.

The tight turning radius and the good sightlines make the ID.4 easy to park. The Volvo had a really long hood that I couldn't see over, so parking that thing was always a crap shoot, and I rarely got it between the lines.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
794 Posts
Yes, the nose drop-off design is especially facilitating in viewing the roadway. One of those vehicles where you don't even see the hood/bonnet dependent on reasonable seat height.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts