Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should receive my ID4 awd very soon. Have been reading online and seems that to use the level one charger provided, I must have installed a GFI outlet in my garage. If I use a regular 3 prong (non-GFI) outlet, will it void my car warranty. It will take some time to have a GFI outlet installed and I will have the EA level 2 charger installed as soon as I can order one (after car purchase) and have it installed. I hate to spend $200 to $300 to install the GFI outlet if I don't need to. thanks.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,230 Posts
That's interesting, is that what the manual says? (about the warranty?)

GFCI is a code requirement for personal safety at the receptacle in potentially damp locations (kitchens, bathrooms, garages, outdoors), but I don't believe it plays a role in protecting equipment, considering the EVSE itself performs an GFCI function.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
1,362 Posts
Also, installing a GFCI outlet should be a $25 DIY project, not $200 to $300 - I think most anyone could do it with a little help from a YouTube tutorial

My experience was . . . . EVSE's which have their own GFCI function many times won't work if plugged into a GFCI outlet. I don't have one in my garage and I've been charging EV's there for 10 years

·
1,801 Posts
In the US, the National Electric Code requires 120v outlets in a garage to be GFCI. It won’t matter to the EV. It will be slow, however, especially if you’re using the provided charge cord which is limited to 8 amps or thereabouts. if you can afford to, I’d recommend hiring an electrician to install a 50 amp 14-50 outlet and then buy yourself an EVSE.

Reactions: Rick Byrne

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,230 Posts
I charge through GFCI all the time and have never had a fault, neither the EVSE not the receptacle. I sherbets between GFCI breakers and receptacles.

GFCI receptacles are passive devices and only monitor differences in current. They don't physically "touch" ie alter nor condition the current, unless the device trips. The EVSE will have no way of "knowing" it's plugged into a GFCI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts