Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last few days, I’ve been able to charge at Electrify America charging stations without using the EA app. I just plugged in and it started charging. This happened three times at two different stations. I haven’t been charged and there’s no record of the sessions.

In the most recent session, the screen said something like “Hello, Free” when it started. I’m not sure if it did this each time.

Earlier in the week, I charged twice and had the expected experience—plugged in, then chose the charger in the EA app, and charging started.

Has anyone else seen this?

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,265 Posts
I charged at an EA today. It was my first session with EA, and my first DC charge for the ID.4.

I started the session as I thought I should, plugging in, opening the app, selecting a location, selecting the unit number.

But the car began charging as the app got stuck on the "Initializing Session" screen. I chalked this up to an app bug, and walked to get coffee.

When I returned 20 or 25 minutes later, I noticed the charging had stopped after only 7 minutes. I reset everything, plugged in, and it began charging while I was still fiddling with the app.

After 8 minutes, it stopped once more. I ended the session as if I had intended to stop at that point, just to make sure I was getting a fresh start, and when I re-initiated I didn't even bother opening the app. I plugged in and it began charging.

So I question whether this station or even this particular charging handle "knew" my car from the first session, or was this an example of Plug and Charge at work?

·
34 Posts
I had that on my first charge. If you see on the initial splash screen on the EA. The charger I was at had the “complementary session” turned on. So it was turned on to the free to use mode.

The 2nd time I charged at another station, I had to scan my EA app to initiate charging.

I’ve seen these before as they turn on free charging for the 1st month on newly installed chargers to get people to test it and make sure everything works.

or EA has a secret rotation to have free charging here and there?

·
1,163 Posts
I had that on my first charge. If you see on the initial splash screen on the EA. The charger I was at had the “complementary session” turned on. So it was turned on to the free to use mode.

The 2nd time I charged at another station, I had to scan my EA app to initiate charging.

I’ve seen these before as they turn on free charging for the 1st month on newly installed chargers to get people to test it and make sure everything works.

or EA has a secret rotation to have free charging here and there?
I think it's complementary free charging for everyone at the new location opening to attract new users.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,265 Posts
Make sense since I would have expected an email or text acknowledging the session or notifying the charge had completed.

In fact I just thought to go back and check — no charge history recorded in the EA app.

·
192 Posts
Has anyone else had a complimentary charge (outside of the VW deal) in the last three months since this thread went idle?
Still hoping to see real Plug and Charge. My wife just had a time again trying to start a charge with the NFC not working and the app getting logged out.

·
252 Posts
Once I was in Mesquite, NV and none of the units were running more than 34 kWh. I called customer service and she reset a unit and when I moved to it and plugged in I received a complimentary charge but it did not know my car. It ran 115 kWh until 30 seconds after I hung up with service and then went back to 34 kWh.
I think when you get to the second level of free they should pay you for the charge.

·
27 Posts
Once I was in Mesquite, NV and none of the units were running more than 34 kWh. I called customer service and she reset a unit and when I moved to it and plugged in I received a complimentary charge but it did not know my car. It ran 115 kWh until 30 seconds after I hung up with service and then went back to 34 kWh.
I think when you get to the second level of free they should pay you for the charge.
I was in Burbank's Walmart lot last weekend and I was getting 37 kW max charging speed regardless of which charger I was trying. I know in the past, it has gone up to 119 kW but I've got no idea why it was so slow this time.

·
1,163 Posts
I was in Burbank's Walmart lot last weekend and I was getting 37 kW max charging speed regardless of which charger I was trying. I know in the past, it has gone up to 119 kW but I've got no idea why it was so slow this time.
On Earth Day, all chargers were free 😁 it was noted on the pedestal screen. I told my brother
(Bolt) and son (i3) both took advantage. No other "free" charges.
How do you get a free charge at EA with an ID4?

·
27 Posts
On Earth Day, all chargers were free 😁 it was noted on the pedestal screen. I told my brother
(Bolt) and son (i3) both took advantage. No other "free" charges.
How do you get a free charge at EA with an ID4?
When you purchase an ID.4, it comes with 3 year unlimited charging at EA. dealer gives you a code to activate. that's been great, except the experience hasn't been the best compared to Tesla Superchargers in terms of ease, speed, and reliability so far. I'm hopeful that things will get better though.

·
14 Posts
In the last few days, I’ve been able to charge at Electrify America charging stations without using the EA app. I just plugged in and it started charging. This happened three times at two different stations. I haven’t been charged and there’s no record of the sessions.

In the most recent session, the screen said something like “Hello, Free” when it started. I’m not sure if it did this each time.

Earlier in the week, I charged twice and had the expected experience—plugged in, then chose the charger in the EA app, and charging started.

Yes! I've been charging for months needing to use the app and today for the first time I plugged in and it started charging without doing anything. FINALLY!!!!

·
18 Posts

I had it happen a couple of times too.

·
192 Posts
EA put out a tweet about the July 4 weekend. I linked it in the other thread about Earth Day.
Only problem is, since it was completely free independent of the app, I didn't get a record of the charge and I'm a data geek.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.