Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A frustrating morning with EA free charging.

We've had our Pro S since July, and it's been just great. The EA free charging has mostly just worked, with occasional issues of some units being offline, and having to wait.
This morning wasn't so great. Got to our local EA charging station (Hartsdale, New York) to find that 1 of the 3 chargers were unavailable because it was being worked on by EA staff, and that was going to take 2 - 3 hours. Another was already in use, so we drove up to the third and plugged in...but it wouldn't communicate with the car, and refused to charge. Phoning EA's support line revealed that although the charger said it was ready, it was marked for maintenance by the same people who were dismantling the other charger, and wasn't available after all.

We waited for the one person charging his car to get to 80%, and then got our turn....and it wouldn'r charge again - the app saying it was unavailable. At that point, one of the guys servicing the equipment came over, and told us that the EA app wasn't working, and that if we used a credit card, we could still get to charge without the app. Fortunately, that worked, but we had to pay for what should have been a free session. While the charging was happening, we phoned EA support again, and got through to a Supervisor after a bit of wrangling. The supervisor gave us a case number to use get a refund, which we can use after 24 hours or so.

The key is to get a case number, so if you see this in future, get one! AT least you can get your money back. Beware - they first offered us a complimentary charging session in future, but with 3 years free charging, that's not much comfort!

Hope this us useful for others....

·
Pro S Gradient RWD White / Black
124 Posts
Yeah at Columbus Ohio also it wouldn't start with the app, either swiping nor NFC. I called and they had to do something on their end, and to do everything in slow motion. I end up using NFC. So plug in, wait. The screen changes... wait. Finally touch the NFC... spinning... wait. She said everything was slow at the time so need to be a bit patient. I also found out if using NFC, when the phone vibrates when touched to the pad it means communication failed / not ready, so have to back away, and try touching phone again after a few seconds.

Oh also the phone number that the app called when the app failed to start charging was not the right number, it went to EA Home or something, and nobody picked up after on hold forever. I had to call with the number from the website.

·
VW ID.4 Pro Glacier White Metallic
154 Posts
Not sure about Android phones... But with iPhones (or even Apple Watch), you can add the EA Card (NFC) to your "wallet" and that doesn't really require any data to use. As long as the EA charger allows for NFC card to activate charger, then a tap from your phone or watch would be good.

I haven't really used the app ever since I added the cards to my phone and watch. Only time I ever use the app is when the NFC reader is down.

·
1,229 Posts
On my recent trip across the country going from west to east i have run across many EA places that will only work with NFC...and no support or app will help...last one i had issues with is German flats NY EA ....that only took NFC to start
Using Android device.
And with weather below 40°F max is around 105 kW..... 20+ charging for 2800 miles trip.....usually charge was max 70-85%

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,543 Posts
I too just use the EA virtual certificate-card in my iPhone wallet with the NFC pad. Not the EA App.

I would have simply called EA customer service before I charged it at cost to myself. They have been very helpful to most members.

‭(833) 632-2778‬

·
Pro S Gradient RWD White / Black
124 Posts
I have android phone (maybe thats why...). Sometimes NFC doesn't work, and the app worked... so I haven't developed a habit towards one method yet. But I agree the NFC is the better / more convenient way to go. But yeah if all else fails, usually a call will always start a charge 🤞

·
10 Posts
I am envisioning a day when we can plug in and the charger recognizes the VIN and polls a cloud server for your payment plan. Perfectly transparent.

I would also hope that the charger could give you a basic charge of 50-75 miles even if the internet connection was down. When it regained the connection it would be able to bill your service then from the stored memory of your visit. The idea is having an emergency amount of charge available.

I do hear of Ford Mach E charging as being hassle free except for the seemingly common out of order chargers littering the landscape.
The company that solves the reliability problem and the ease of use problem will own the market.

·
1,229 Posts
In EU depending on the software version car app is integrated with infotainment screen and if you choose fast DC charger trough the infotainment screen it will start preheating before you hit the charger.....and integration of plug and charge is definitely coming for EA. But US market is not forgiving for software issues so it will take time before software is ironed out to be without problems.

·
543 Posts
Even putting out the update in several parts would have been acceptable. Promising over the air updates and not delivering any for at least 9 months is not the way to build a good customer rapport.

·
129 Posts
I too just use the EA virtual certificate-card in my iPhone wallet with the NFC pad. Not the EA App.

I would have simply called EA customer service before I charged it at cost to myself. They have been very helpful to most members.

‭(833) 632-2778‬
With Android, no need to do anything but set up the EA app the first time. Then, I just tap the NFC spot and I'm charging, Never had a problem.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,543 Posts
I don't have an Android phone but rather as I cited an iPhone and therefore the wallet-certificate method rather than App. Not sure why you quoted me. 🤷‍♂️

With Android, no need to do anything but set up the EA app the first time. Then, I just tap the NFC spot and I'm charging, Never had a problem.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not sure about Android phones... But with iPhones (or even Apple Watch), you can add the EA Card (NFC) to your "wallet" and that doesn't really require any data to use. As long as the EA charger allows for NFC card to activate charger, then a tap from your phone or watch would be good.

I haven't really used the app ever since I added the cards to my phone and watch. Only time I ever use the app is when the NFC reader is down.
Just catching up....what's the EA Card?

·
1,229 Posts
Just catching up....what's the EA Card?
There is no card for EA....you can use NFC ( comtactless payment) to activate....there is black square box usually next to credit card reader to initiate charging ( when you have NFC capable devices and it is turned on)
Plug in wait for initialization.....open EA app get in close proximity of black box NFC reader and it will start....remember that not all EA boxes allow this option....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts