Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1st Edition
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m just finished my second EA charge. Both times I’ve used the built in navigation to get there, drove 20+ freeway miles, and both times ambient temperatures have been in the 60s F.

My first charge was at 43kw, today I’m seeing 53kw, so roughly 1/3 of the 125kw maximum rate. Is there something else I should know about charging at EA chargers? Its not a big deal now, but it will be when we start road tripping.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,227 Posts
I’m just finished my second EA charge. Both times I’ve used the built in navigation to get there, drove 20+ freeway miles, and both times ambient temperatures have been in the 60s F.

My first charge was at 43kw, today I’m seeing 53kw, so roughly 1/3 of the 125kw maximum rate. Is there something else I should know about charging at EA chargers? Its not a big deal now, but it will be when we start road tripping.
What was your state-of-charge when you stared charging? The higher it is, the lower the charging rate you will see.

·
249 Posts
The typical EV road tripping strategy is to run the car
down as close to zero charge as possible and only recharge to around 50% unless you need to push farther. The peak 125kw charging will only run to like 35% and will drop rapidly after 60%. Between 80 and 100% take a long time so usually you don’t use it unless you need the range.

·
249 Posts
There are quite a few factors that I’m learning from way too much time on YouTube but mostly they are a bit random. Some stations aren’t up to par but it seems EA will look at them if they are reported. If someone in the same cabinet as you is drawing a fast charge it can slow yours. Battery temp is an issue but it sounds like you should have been good there. Sometimes just swapping to another cable will get you charging faster. If you have the patience and nobody is around I would keep swapping till you hit the numbers on the graph or try a different station and see if you can get closer.

·
2021 1st
852 Posts
It's a problem that will become worse as more people drive EVs.

Luckily (for convenience only) we're in the early stages. There will have to be a titanic cultural shift to get US drivers to "fuel up" at home otherwise we're going to have lines like during the oil embargo.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition / Dusk Blue
150 Posts
The typical EV road tripping strategy is to run the car View attachment 3302 down as close to zero charge as possible and only recharge to around 50% unless you need to push farther. The peak 125kw charging will only run to like 35% and will drop rapidly after 60%. Between 80 and 100% take a long time so usually you don’t use it unless you need the range.
Interesting: so just to be sure I’m interpreting correctly, you’re suggesting that on a road trip one recharge more frequently? Say every 100 miles, which is about where we’ll see 50% when driving at highway speeds?

·
249 Posts
Interesting: so just to be sure I’m interpreting correctly, you’re suggesting that on a road trip one recharge more frequently? Say every 100 miles, which is about where we’ll see 50% when driving at highway speeds?
Yes. You want to get to as close to zero as you can and only charge until the kw drops off so you keep your charge time as quick as possible giving just enough to get to the next fast charge station with a small buffer for wind or other factors. The first thirty minutes are where most of your fast charging should happen. After that it’s more efficient to dump the charge and start again.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,227 Posts
Yes. You want to get to as close to zero as you can and only charge until the kw drops off so you keep your charge time as quick as possible giving just enough to get to the next fast charge station with a small buffer for wind or other factors. The first thirty minutes are where most of your fast charging should happen. After that it’s more efficient to dump the charge and start again.
If you watch Kyle's road trip videos, the strategy is largely to make sure you have enough charge to comfortably get to the next charging stop (verifying that the next charger isn't having problems), and then unplug and move on. Sometimes he will charge a bit longer than needed (meals, shooting the breeze with someone, etc), and sometimes the trip planner doesn't take into account weather (headwinds) or extreme elevation changes, so he sometimes makes adjustments as needed.

·
357 Posts

The power going into your car is dependent on the battery charge, if you are at 20% the rate of charge will be around 125kw as you get closer closer to 80% or higher the charge rates drops to help keep you batteries from catching fire or over heating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.