There is a very important but very subtle difference between the ICE cars we have grown up with versus EVs. There's a great YouTube to explain it:
Watch the whole thing a couple of times, but what you really need to focus on is the stuff at the 8 to 9 minute mark explaining the energy loss per mile between ICE cars and EVs.
In a nutshell, here is the issue: The energy in gasoline is about 33.7 kWh per gallon, so if you have a 20 gallon gas tank you are taking on 674 kWh of energy! HOWEVER, a gasoline car is only about 35% efficient in converting that energy into motion and the other 65% is wasted mostly as heat. Compare that to EVs which are about 85% efficient in converting battery energy into motion.
The next big point in this nutshell explanation is that wasted heat energy of an ICE is pretty much constant no matter what kind of driving you are doing. 2 bit da Vince doesn't say it in so many words, but in his mathematical model he uses in the video, he assumes it is fixed. Strictly speaking, it wouldn't be fixed, but I think in reality it is close enough to the truth that you can treat it as so and his model is very good for explaining the differences between ICEs and EVs.
So once you understand that, you can understand why all the things that affect a car's efficiency, whether the car is an ICE or EV, are muted in ICE cars and make huge differences in EVs in comparison. About 65% of the energy in a gas tank is wasted essentially independent of how you drive, so all of the efficiency factors such as
- car aerodynamics
- driving in headwinds or crosswinds
- gaining elevation
- driving on rough chip-seal roads
- driving in sand
- driving in the low air density of Colorado
- driving in rain
- carrying bikes or luggage carriers on the roof
- driving with max # of passengers and cargo weight
- cranking the AC on hot days
- keeping the car warm on cold days (something ICE cars get to do for free from waste heat)
- etc. etc. etc
... everything in the list above and anything else that affects efficiency only matters for the ~35% of the gas energy that is actually being converted into motion in an ICE car, whereas the same list of factors impact almost the whole amount of battery energy (~85%) of an EV. So that means that EVs are much more sensitive to all the factors that affect efficiency.
EVs do a great job of putting almost all of the onboard energy into useful work, propelling the car. That's great for us and for the planet, but it means that we have to re-learn the impact of all the factors that affect efficiency. Growing up driving ICE cars dulled us to all those efficiency factors, but now we are feeling essentially the full wrath of each of those factors. The price of progress.